Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

SIU-SDM Misconduct

Discussion in 'Dental' started by Superhuntress, 06.30.07.

1. Thanks to Crack the NBDE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Superhuntress

Superhuntress Junior Member

Dental Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    WOW, it looks like SIU-SDM is in some deep trouble. I knew all along that something wasn't right at SIU-SDM. I was glad to see that the authorities are finally onto the shenanigans at SIU-SDM. There is obviously a lot more, but the things I personally saw were the school condoning alcohol and drug abuse by ignoring student's DUIs and allowing known cocaine addicts to continue in school unscathed, black-balling anyone who tries to blow the whistle on this, and cheating on lab work. There was a lot more "behind the scenes" going on too. I spent two years working in their dental research labs, earned a Master's from SIUE, and am glad to be going to a better, more honest school for my DDS. I had heard stories about the academic misconduct, and now it has finally come to a head. Shame on SIU-SDM.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/beaconnews/news/447711,2_9_AU28_DENTAL_S1.article

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2007/06/28/news/doc4682868ac54d3919707203.txt

http://www.goedwardsville.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18533705&BRD=2291&PAG=461&dept_id=473648&rfi=6
  2. dWiz

dWiz ...ndn...

SDN 5+ Year Member
    nice...can u summarize the articles here
  3. johntara04

johntara04 Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Ha ha. SUI used to be full of Mormons. The new dean came on, decided he didn't want Mormons at his school anymore, stopped admitting them and now look at the school. Ha ha.
  4. ElDienteLoco

ElDienteLoco Senior Member

Dental Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Not sure exactly what Mormons have to do with this...Are you suggesting that the dental school was more ethical when it was "full of Mormons"?

Being LDS, I always get frustrated when people bring up stuff like this because it doesn't really matter if you're Atheist, Catholic, Mormon, or a Democrat. People in dental school should do their best to be honest and ethical no matter what extra-academic values they espouse. Those who make poor decisions come from all backgrounds.

If it was okay at the school to study from previous exams, then fine. If it's not a school-approved study method, then the school should take actions to prevent it from occurring - like disciplining those who do it or "keeping honest people honest" by coming up with new test questions.
  5. armorshell

armorshell Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Dentist SDN 7+ Year Member
    Religion != Morality.
  6. kato999

kato999 Senior Member

Dentist
    SDN 7+ Year Member

To imply that the reason this school is having issues because they don't have as many Mormons is pretty lame. From what I remember most of the UNLV students that were busted a couple years back were LDS. I totally agree with Dienteloco, it shouldn't matter at all what faith you are, you should be held to a standard as a professional. It doesn't look like there is really anything noteworthy yet from what I gathered from the articles anyway.
  7. PlanB21

PlanB21 Junior Member

Pre-Dental
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    And mormons practice polygamy and marry 13 year old girls...guess the school is missing out!
  8. scalpel2008

scalpel2008 beep beep beep...smash

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    and this thread will close in 4..3..2..1..
  9. Jaybe

Jaybe Lazy Tongs

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Really??? Are they still taking applications???
  10. virginiabeach

virginiabeach Member

Dental Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
  11. Jaybe

Jaybe Lazy Tongs

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Don't kid yourself. . . I heard a bunch of the Mormon kids at SIU got busted before a test with a cooler full of Caffeine drinks (Gasp!) and thats why they don't accept them anymore. Sad. Sad, but true. . . :(
  12. ElDienteLoco

ElDienteLoco Senior Member

Dental Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I'm not real keen on Mormon bashing either...

If you think Mormons (members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) still practice polygamy or marry thirteen year-old girls, you might want to do a little investigation before making such remarks. There's probably a friendly Mormon in your class who would love to clear this up for you.
  13. jeninny44

jeninny44

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey, what do you think of Kolob? (LDS scripture link for those who don't know: [1] [2]). What about how until the mid-seventies LDS more or less felt African Americans were direct decendants from Cain, and thus couldn't reach the highest levels of the church? Blatant racism ain't so ethical in my books. How about the fact Harvard, the Smithsonian and Oxford and all other major academic institutions could not translate basic hieroglyphics until 30 years after Joseph Smith had written a couple of books on the matter? Speaking of which, wasn't Joseph Smith in jail a few times and shot in a gun fight? Sounds like an ethical guy to me.

Oh wait. Most Mormons never even get the book of abraham, let alone pearls of great price, and you let the church tell you what to think when they conveniently "ignore" the fact LDS believes in the fact you are given a planet near Kolob (another planet where an alien being lives) when you die :laugh:

If you're going to criticize non-LDS people, you better be ready to receive some criticism about being LDS. And believe me, the above is just the tip of the iceburg. How's that special underwear working out for ya?
  14. jeninny44

jeninny44

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    He's right. A particular sect (if you want to call it that) broke off the LDS and still practices polygamy, but the present day LDS does not condone polygamy.

You have to understand much of this religion was based on some very "different" ideas, that are will no longer be acceptable in today's present world (polygamy, kolob and aliens, etc.) so over the years portions of LDS has quietly been phased out or is emphasized much less. Polygamy is one of those things.

Brigham Young, Joseph Smith, and all the early mormons did, but the current "mainstream" LDS does not approve of polygamy.
  15. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Sounds like you got all your facts straight. Most likely the stuff you find on the internet came from:
    1) A bitter ex-Mormon
    2) A bitter non Mormon
    3) A confused Mormon

All of those are pretty irrelevent sources. I can see how someone who has not grown up in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints could see our beliefs as strange. Just like I can look at Catholicism or Judaism and think to myself, "That is a little wierd." However as a mature adult I can also respect them and their beliefs.

To come to a site that is mostly professional students and try to bash on something I respect is pretty low. We may have some strange beliefs and although your referenced facts are taken out of context and will probably be misconstrued on this site I would warn you to look at your own 'faults' as you try to point out Mormonisms 'faults'.

Hypocrisy is something that most prideful people don't know they have.

Get used to being around Mormons or anyone else who believes different than you, you will be surrounded by them most of your life.
  16. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Wrong again. The LDS Church's officail stance on polygamy.
  17. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
  18. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Back to the SIU thing, which I came here to comment on in the first place...

I read those articles and although the whole class is on suspension it doesn't seem very serious. Does anyone else feel that way? Sure I would be peeing my pants if my whole year was put on suspension. If I hadn't done anything wrong then I wouldn't worry. The other thing is that everyone is scheduled to start again in the fall. So what exactly are they looking for?

Some people used back tests? Unless these back tests were NOT passed back to the class after the test then I think they are legit. We have several classes whee we have back tests for ALL the midterm tests, but NOT the finals. Anyone who keeps the final after the test and gives it away next year would be dishonest, especially if the instructor tells the class to turn in the test and the scantron, etc.

Interesting though and this is also my hypothesis: 1-3 people got a backtest and spread it around. The whole class got it thinking it was OK and now they are in a heap. Sounds unfortunate. Hope they can have a fun summer and this doesn't ruin it. Good luck class of 2010! IF you want I can PRAY for you. LOL - take that haterz!! :D
  19. aphistis

aphistis Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    hSDN Member SDN 10+ Year Member
    I'm legitimately impressed by how little time this thread needed to derail, but tragically I have to close it anyway.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal