SIUC Medprep 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureMDFolarin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I wanted to start a thread for those that will be applying to the program for the upcoming section to inquire and/or connect with others doing so.

Along with that, I have a question for previous and/or current medprep students.

I am interested in applying to SIUC medprep program very soon. I have a bachelors of science in chemistry as well as a bachelors in psychology but I do not have that many bio classes (i.e. Anatomy, physiology, micro and etc). Should I wait to apply or just give it a shot anyway?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello FutureMDFolarin!

If I were you, I would email the program with this question. They can better tell you if you would need to take those classes before applying. You can call them or email them and they respond rather quickly. Good luck!

Hey everyone,
I am currently a first year student in MEDPREP and I would be happy to answer all of the questions that I can or direct you to a person that can answer them. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey,
I just got invited to admissions day next week Friday. What should I expect for admissions day? What kind of questions are asked in the interviews?

I've been invited for Admissions day for cycle 2.. Can someone please tell me what to expect of those tests? :uhno:.. What's the day like? I'm super nervous.

I've been invited for Admissions day for cycle 2.. Can someone please tell me what to expect of those tests? :uhno:.. What's the day like? I'm super nervous.

I've been invited to Admission day too!! I'm so excited but also nervous about all those tests too

Members don't see this ad :)
What dates did you select?? I'm going to the March 23rd one. I'm reviewing a few mcat science tests.. What's the cognitive testing? Is that like VR? I don't know.. But I was told they look at the scores and how you did on the interview to determine whether they want to accept you.

I haven't sent in my form yet, but I'm leaning on March 20th. I'm not really sure what the cognitive testing will contain, but I'm reviewing my MCAT science books too!

I don't think you can really prepare for the tests because the questions are random and there is nothing I can tell you to focus on to do well. Everything is multiple choice and you use scantrons to respond. Everything is timed. There is a reading comprehension section where you read a passage and then answer the questions, Word definition/context- basically you choose the word synonymous to the word they give you, Biology-everything from ecology to evolution but not very indepth questions just random knowledge, Chemistry- balancing reactions and types of reactions and just random gen chem information, Orgo- identifying some types of molecules, reactions given products and vice versa and the Mdat( it has a name to that effect, I cannot remember because it was a long day and it was back in November) basically some Mcat questions and Dat perceptuality questions.

Oh there was an essay too, but it wasn't typed. Mr Stevens, gives you a paper with a question along the lines of why do you want to become a medical health professional. You just have to turn it in by the end of the day.

Other things that happened that day.

You get your itinerary when you get there.

You get two 15 minutes interviews with faculty in the program. They are really nice and they make you feel comfortable. They ask you some of the same questions. They also ask you about something on your application that has nothing to do with applying to medical or dental school, like where you grew up, sports you played, hobbies you have (that kinda of thing).

You also do this Myers Brigg test, its personality typing. They say it doesn't count toward you app but it is used when you get accepted by your advisor and your counselor to determine what your personality is for studying and just being happy in your life, to figure out how to work toward your goals.

You get breakfast snacks which are pastries, coffee and tea, and Lunch is Pizza and pop.

You get talked to by different faculty as a group about different topics like What the medprep program is about, how much it costs, where to live and what you need to do write now.

You also have an optional meeting with current students, which I found was really helpful, they answer any questions you have, some of them tell you their personal stories, the will give you ways to contact them. The most beneficial thing was them comparing their old MCAT score to what they got last summer, a lot of them had interviews and a few acceptances. It was inspirational.

Mr Stevens said that the tests are not holistic in determining if you get in or not. You get a grade for everything, including your interview, they then average your grades for every aspect of the interview day. The students who are above the mean get accepted. There are other things that can get you in, if your interviewers really think you deserve to be in the class they can argue and fight for you to get a yes. So your interviews are really important, own up to your mistakes and then show them you are determined to do whatever it takes to accomplish your goals.

Hope to see you guys in the summer when medprep starts. All the best on your interview day and impending acceptance

Reactions: 1 user
What dates did you select?? I'm going to the March 23rd one. I'm reviewing a few mcat science tests.. What's the cognitive testing? Is that like VR? I don't know.. But I was told they look at the scores and how you did on the interview to determine whether they want to accept you.
Change of plans...looks like I'll be seeing you on March 23rd! :D

I don't think you can really prepare for the tests because the questions are random and there is nothing I can tell you to focus on to do well. Everything is multiple choice and you use scantrons to respond. Everything is timed. There is a reading comprehension section where you read a passage and then answer the questions, Word definition/context- basically you choose the word synonymous to the word they give you, Biology-everything from ecology to evolution but not very indepth questions just random knowledge, Chemistry- balancing reactions and types of reactions and just random gen chem information, Orgo- identifying some types of molecules, reactions given products and vice versa and the Mdat( it has a name to that effect, I cannot remember because it was a long day and it was back in November) basically some Mcat questions and Dat perceptuality questions.

Oh there was an essay too, but it wasn't typed. Mr Stevens, gives you a paper with a question along the lines of why do you want to become a medical health professional. You just have to turn it in by the end of the day.

You get two 15 minutes interviews with faculty in the program. They are really nice and they make you feel comfortable. They ask you some of the same questions. They also ask you about something on your application that has nothing to do with applying to medical or dental school, like where you grew up, sports you played, hobbies you have (that kinda of thing).

You also do this Myers Brigg test, its personality typing. They say it doesn't count toward you app but it is used when you get accepted by your advisor and your counselor to determine what your personality is for studying and just being happy in your life, to figure out how to work toward your goals.

You get breakfast snacks which are pastries, coffee and tea, and Lunch is Pizza and pop.

You get talked to by different faculty as a group about different topics like What the medprep program is about, how much it costs, where to live and what you need to do write now.

You also have an optional meeting with current students, which I found was really helpful, they answer any questions you have, some of them tell you their personal stories, the will give you ways to contact them. The most beneficial thing was them comparing their old MCAT score to what they got last summer, a lot of them had interviews and a few acceptances. It was inspirational.

Mr Stevens said that the tests are not holistic in determining if you get in or not. You get a grade for everything, including your interview, they then average your grades for every aspect of the interview day. The students who are above the mean get accepted. There are other things that can get you in, if your interviewers really think you deserve to be in the class they can argue and fight for you to get a yes. So your interviews are really important, own up to your mistakes and then show them you are determined to do whatever it takes to accomplish your goals.

Hope to see you guys in the summer when medprep starts. All the best on your interview day and impending acceptance

Did they talk about the masters programs they have and their success rate with getting people into med school?

Did they talk about the masters programs they have and their success rate with getting people into med school?

They did talk about their masters programs, these are optional because they require you to take a few more classes. No one I met was doing the MBS, one of the girls mentioned a guy in their year doing it. There were three girls doing the mph. Mr Stevens discussed that they have Med schools visit during the school year with recruiters. They cannot necessary get people into Med school, it is whatever you put in you get out. They prepare you thoroughly however. All of the main topics on the MCAT and DAT are covered during the first year, they have a library filled with materials you can use to study and the teachers are very resourceful (that is what current students said), they also help with essay writing and interview prep so that you put your best foot forward. Everybody I met in the program had good things to say about how much their knowledge improved.

Thanks for your help. Are you a current MEDprep student?

Change of plans...looks like I'll be seeing you on March 23rd! :D

Great!! We'll see each other at admissions day!! When do you arrive to Carbondale? I'm thinking Saturday. But nothing certain at this point.

Great!! We'll see each other at admissions day!! When do you arrive to Carbondale? I'm thinking Saturday. But nothing certain at this point.

Awesome! I'm arriving there on Sunday afternoon. Hopefully, I will be there in time for the RAP session.

Just accepted to MEDPREP for June 2015! Anyone else a part of the incoming class and have gotten any other information about orientation and whatnot?

Just accepted to MEDPREP for June 2015! Anyone else a part of the incoming class and have gotten any other information about orientation and whatnot?

Congrats!! Were you in Cycle 1 or 2? I'm attending admission's day.

Congrats!! Were you in Cycle 1 or 2? I'm attending admission's day.
I was in Cycle 1! Very excited about this opportunity! Admissions day is a walk in the park as long as you just being yourself and the tests are not the bad. No need to worry about them! Interviewers are really nice and open people. Just have a conversation with them as if you've known them forever is all :D

I was in Cycle 1! Very excited about this opportunity! Admissions day is a walk in the park as long as you just being yourself and the tests are not the bad. No need to worry about them! Interviewers are really nice and open people. Just have a conversation with them as if you've known them forever is all :D

Great! Thanks for the pep talk. I'm little nervous to be 100% honest. Just feels like a lot is loaded in just one day. DO you know if the interview are open file? Just curious.. What did you enjoy the most about admission's day?

Great! Thanks for the pep talk. I'm little nervous to be 100% honest. Just feels like a lot is loaded in just one day. DO you know if the interview are open file? Just curious.. What did you enjoy the most about admission's day?
It is ok to be nervous...its normal but once you get there and hear the faculty and what they need to say all will be good! It is a long day but they segment it to where its more fluid. The interviews are closed file im pretty sure because they did ask questions that had the answers to them on my application. In addition, what I really liked about admissions day was the RAP session. If you can go then GO! You can ask anything to the current MEDPREP students in the RAP session and they will tell you upfront and they are pretty cool to talk to!

Thanks. Do you know by chance how many students were accepted from cycle 1? I hear it's a "rolling" admission..

Hello, I am a second year MEDPREP student in the MBS program, if you have any questions about MEDPREP/MBS.

I was admitted from cycle 1 and found out in December, I got in touch with my advisor in January. Unless you are deciding on doing either of the MPH or MBS, there is not major sense of urgency. I can ask Mr. Stevens on Friday for you guys if you'd like

Hello, I am a second year MEDPREP student in the MBS program, if you have any questions about MEDPREP/MBS.

Hi, I know the application deadline for MPH is sometime in June. When do advisors let you know if you can apply for the graduate programs?

I think whenever you touch base with them when you find out who your adviser is. That was when Dean Herrold asked me if I wanted to do the MBS program.

I am a graduating Medprep student and I am subletting my apartment in Carbondale. It is furnished, top floor corner unit, has a view, and is located at the Pointe at SIU, which one of the closest apartment complexes to campus. For more details or if you have questions about medprep in general, don't hesitate to PM me.

Does anyone that was accepted into MEDPREP want to give their stats? I am applying for 2017 and very nervous about mine.