Skiing in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lockdoc92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any stories of how they have been able to maintain a decent ski season while at medical school?

I am going to be about 2 hours from the slopes and aside from all my academic requirements, I would like to make it a priority. I realize that even making it a priority is relative and may only allow 1-5 serious ski days, but I am curious what others have done.

What I am looking for: Any thoughtful answer

What I am not looking for: Any version of "You should just not go to med school or give up skiing." "Why is this even a thought?" And all other negativity that usually comes with these types of threads ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like 4 hours travel time + whatever time spent skiing is going to take up a whole day. I'd wager you wouldn't be able to sustain that for more than one day a week max.

Sounds like 4 hours travel time + whatever time spent skiing is going to take up a whole day. I'd wager you wouldn't be able to sustain that for more than one day a week max.

That's way more than I could even expect! I doubt I would be able to manage more than 2 days a month! Just looking to see if anyone could even sustain something like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's way more than I could even expect! I doubt I would be able to manage more than 2 days a month! Just looking to see if anyone could even sustain something like that.
Oh, if your expectations are <= 2 days per month, then that definitely sounds doable.

Reactions: 1 users
if that's what you like, you can do it man. I don't know about skiing, it sounds fun. But I am a professional singer and go to school at the same time. It actually help you relax because when you do the activities you like, you don't think about school. Especially skiing is a physical activity, it refresh your body and mind.

You can definitely make time for several day trips a semester during preclinicasl. Just have to work around your exam schedule, and work hard during the week.

Also, I think this is a great idea. The happiest med students seem to have a healthy life outside of school with a good amount of time spent on hobbies/athletics pursuits.

I had a point my third year where I realized that it was probably the last weekend the slopes would be open and if I didn't go, I'd have gone an entire weekend without skiing for the first time since I was 7, so I drove 2 hours north to just ski alone for a day...

...totally worth it.

From Philly, we also had class ski trips to Lake Placid and Stowe the first two years.

Reactions: 1 user
You can definitely make time for several day trips a semester during preclinicasl. Just have to work around your exam schedule, and work hard during the week.

Also, I think this is a great idea. The happiest med students seem to have a healthy life outside of school with a good amount of time spent on hobbies/athletics pursuits.

This post makes me the happiest I've been since my acceptance :). Knowing I will not have to completely sacrifice one of my passions for medicine is great!

This post makes me the happiest I've been since my acceptance :). Knowing I will not have to completely sacrifice one of my passions for medicine is great!

You should definitely NOT sacrifice your passion! Of course there'll be times when you may not be able to ski as regularly as you would like, but you make time for it when you can. One of our attendings goes for weekend ski trips all the time because she loves it so much.

Reactions: 2 users
First 2 years, absolutely.
3rd year, yes on some rotations.
4th year, just go live on the slopes.

Reactions: 3 users
When I interviewed at Reno, my interviewer said she would go to the various places in Tahoe and do flash cards on the chairlift.

Fourth year there are several rotations at various ski resort medical clinics, like this one:

http://www.docsky.us/electives.html

First 2 years, absolutely.
3rd year, yes on some rotations.
4th year, just go live on the slopes.

First year yes, depending on the type of student you are
Second year maybe for the first few months. From April onward you won't have time to tie your snow boots let alone go skiing if you are like most students
Third year absolutely not (at least at my school)
Fourth year you can practically spend it all in Alpe d’Huez if you want

First year yes, depending on the type of student you are
Second year maybe for the first few months. From April onward you won't have time to tie your snow boots let alone go skiing if you are like most students
Third year absolutely not (at least at my school)
Fourth year you can practically spend it all in Alpe d’Huez if you want

Where are you going to med school that there's summer skiing? :p

Doesn't Dartmouth have skiing nearby?

this is something that i think about pretty frequently as well. as of now in my gap years im trying to get as much skiing in as possible while saving up for trips out west.

Where are you going to med school that there's summer skiing? :p

mount hood oregon! just about an hour outside of portland.

When I interviewed at Reno, my interviewer said she would go to the various places in Tahoe and do flash cards on the chairlift.

Fourth year there are several rotations at various ski resort medical clinics, like this one:

http://www.docsky.us/electives.html

im so glad you posted this. thank you so much for this link