Skype/phone interview while deployed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WernickeDO

Returning to the womb
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There was some chatter on this subject in this forum about 5 years ago, so I'm curious to see how/if this has changed. There is a chance I may be deployed during the interview season. How do programs typically feel about doing Skype/phone interviews for that scenario? Clearly it's not optimal but do you think it would hurt my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

No idea how programs would handle this. If you are deployed how are you going to finish 4th year requirements and graduate in time to start residency?

No idea how programs would handle this. If you are deployed how are you going to finish 4th year requirements and graduate in time to start residency?
Pretty sure by "non student" that he's a graduated doc who is doing a GMO tour or something. Not many other fields get deployed.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would assume that yes, it will hurt you. However, your additional work experience and military service will likely be pluses that set you apart. I would try to schedule interviews around the deployment if at all possible. Far better to deploy from February to June than from November to January.

Thanks all for the responses. Yes indeed I am a graduated doc with an operational unit. I'm looking to go back to residency once my time in the Army is up. The deployment in question is one that is potentially coming up and if I made some moves I could probably get it, but the problem is that the dates are smack in the middle of interview season. I figured that doing interviews via Skype is less than desirable but I wanted to hear if anyone had some experience in this department and how it played out for the applicant. Sounds like my best plan for going back to residency is to be stateside during the interview season and hoping for the best. Thanks again for the input.

Thanks all for the responses. Yes indeed I am a graduated doc with an operational unit. I'm looking to go back to residency once my time in the Army is up. The deployment in question is one that is potentially coming up and if I made some moves I could probably get it, but the problem is that the dates are smack in the middle of interview season. I figured that doing interviews via Skype is less than desirable but I wanted to hear if anyone had some experience in this department and how it played out for the applicant. Sounds like my best plan for going back to residency is to be stateside during the interview season and hoping for the best. Thanks again for the input.
I think that the difficulty lies in you being able to assess programs rather than programs being able to assess you, if that makes any sense.

I think that the difficulty lies in you being able to assess programs rather than programs being able to assess you, if that makes any sense.
Makes sense, I hadn't considered that end of it. I'm military, so I'm used to being a supplicant rather than an applicant ;)