Sleep apnea and hypertension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anbuitachi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does sleep apnea cause systemic and pulmonary hypertension?
I read one source that said it's because it causes systemic vasoconstriction due to high CO2 and low O2.. but i'm confused since doesn't CO2 lead to vasodilation???

Members don't see this ad.

How does sleep apnea cause systemic and pulmonary hypertension?
I read one source that said it's because it causes systemic vasoconstriction due to high CO2 and low O2.. but i'm confused since doesn't CO2 lead to vasodilation???

apnea = no ventilation = "hypoxic" alveoli = vasoconstriction (unique to pulmonary vasculature) = more pulm resistance ---> HTN via endo damage and repair (like systemic)

Members don't see this ad :)
apnea = no ventilation = "hypoxic" alveoli = vasoconstriction (unique to pulmonary vasculature) = more pulm resistance ---> HTN via endo damage and repair (like systemic)

This is the answer, and it's a pretty cool adaptation that's at play. It's unique to the pulmonary circulation.

Basically, with decreased PAO2, a hypoxic vasoconstriction is triggered that serves to shunt blood to areas of the lung that have adequate ventilation. It's the body's way of trying to be efficient, but it causes a net decrease in the cross sectional area for blood to flow through in the lungs, increasing vascular resistance and resulting in pulmonary HTN.

The hypoxia also induces the release of erythropoietin which contributes to the systemic hypertension.