Sleep!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j306c954

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone only get 5 or less hours of sleep before the MCAT and still do well? For some reason, I think I do better with less sleep?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am hoping and praying that I can actually sleep the night before my test because I am only studying and most nights I am constantly tossing and turning. fml

Reactions: 1 user
This is an individual thing. Missing one night's sleep or having reduced sleep effects some people differently than others.

Ehh from my experience I do well on tests when I cram the night before and sleep 2-3 hours before the exam. Probably shouldn't do that for the MCAT though...

Members don't see this ad :)
Ehh from my experience I do well on tests when I cram the night before and sleep 2-3 hours before the exam. Probably shouldn't do that for the MCAT though...
I think I am the same...I got the highest score on that practice test I took today on 2 hours of sleep our of all my other practice tests...

I think my brain has become accustomed to functioning while sleep deprived o_O

Make sure you do everything to get good sleep. Sleep less the night before the night before the MCAT. Work out, go to bed early, reduce distractions, don't use your phone or computer, keep bright lights away, etc.

Make sure you do everything to get good sleep. Sleep less the night before the night before the MCAT. Work out, go to bed early, reduce distractions, don't use your phone or computer, keep bright lights away, etc.
I hear you should try to sleep more during the whole week before an important exam, especially the night before the night before, as well as the night before.

I hear you should try to sleep more during the whole week before an important exam, especially the night before the night before, as well as the night before.

Right, that's ideal, but if you know you are not going to be able to sleep because you are anxious or whatever, then you should try to ensure that you sleep well at least the night before.

As of tonight I'll be trying to go to sleep at like 9-10pm and getting up at 5-6am. Getting blackout curtains and setting the temp really low to sleep early and stay asleep. My test is Saturday at 8 and ideally I would like to get up early enough to go exercise a little before the test.

Right, that's ideal, but if you know you are not going to be able to sleep because you are anxious or whatever, then you should try to ensure that you sleep well at least the night before.
Losing sleep two nights before a test can kill your performance by a significant amount, so it's almost a guaranteed loss of performance. Also, sometimes lack of sleep can put you on edge, and in a position to be even more anxious than normal. I don't think it's a good idea to advise someone to try to skimp on sleep two nights before as an attempt to guarantee sleep the night before.

Losing sleep two nights before a test can kill your performance by a significant amount, so it's almost a guaranteed loss of performance. Also, sometimes lack of sleep can put you on edge, and in a position to be even more anxious than normal. I don't think it's a good idea to advise someone to try to skimp on sleep two nights before as an attempt to guarantee sleep the night before.

The people here should have taken enough exams by now to know what works best for them. For me, I need sleep the night before or else I'm done. So, I ensure that I sleep the night before. I will perform worse if I don't sleep before the exam.

ive averaged five hours before every practice, so im shooting for 7 the night before, past seven hours im no longer sharp