SLOE feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Late Bloomer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you get a SLOE from a program, does the letter writer typically give you any indication how strong the letter is? I'm a DO still trying to decide if I wanna apply to both AOA & ACGME. Based on my USMLE score I'm gonna need strong letters to stand a chance and I don't wanna start applying to ACGME programs not having any clue if my letters will open any doors

Members don't see this ad.

When you get a SLOE from a program, does the letter writer typically give you any indication how strong the letter is? I'm a DO still trying to decide if I wanna apply to both AOA & ACGME. Based on my USMLE score I'm gonna need strong letters to stand a chance and I don't wanna start applying to ACGME programs not having any clue if my letters will open any doors
I think this depends. I know some programs will give you generalized feedback on how you did on your rotation and you can extrapolate how strong your SLOE will be. If you honored a rotation you can probably assume your SLOE is good but may not be outstanding depending on the quality of the comments in your SLOE. I doubt any program writing a SLOE is going to tell you point blank how strong the letter is that was written for you. Good luck!

Last edited:
I know you posted on another thread about your scores. Doors will only open for you if you have the scores to make it through many of the schools cut offs and many will screen out a barely passing USMLE score. As a DO there is even more stacked against you

This is the biggest barrier you're facing now. I agree that your SLOE would need to be amazing, but unfortunately, even with a great SLOE there aren't many ACGME programs willing to accept a DO with a 198 step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)

Don't you get grades and comments for your rotations? I assumed the comments on my end of rotation evals that programs sent to my school were basically the same as those on my SLOEs. Obviously, I have no idea to this day what my SLOEs actually said, but it worked out ok.

My only bit of advice - decide now if you are going to focus on AOA or ACGME. It is just too difficult to do both well - AOA programs value facetime a lot and ACGME programs value SLOEs from other AGCME programs. My personal experience has been that AOA SLOEs don't carry a much weight at ACGME programs.

Reactions: 1 users
What's your usmle score

Step 1 was 198. I think I've accepted that ACGME is out. I kept hanging on cuz I worried if I don't match AOA then I can try for ACGME if I managed to get some interviews. But if I don't match when there's 62 AOA EM programs, then maybe it's not meant to be anyway

Step 1 was 198. I think I've accepted that ACGME is out. I kept hanging on cuz I worried if I don't match AOA then I can try for ACGME if I managed to get some interviews. But if I don't match when there's 62 AOA EM programs, then maybe it's not meant to be anyway

I think you have the right mindset but if you took step 2 and did exceptionally well then maybe you could snag some lower tier acgme program invites.

Is 198 passing for step 1 these days? What's your comlex? Any other red flags or major positives that could hurt/help you?

You can apply to both matches but it is very tough. I personally did two acgme and two aoa programs when I applied.

I think you have the right mindset but if you took step 2 and did exceptionally well then maybe you could snag some lower tier acgme program invites.

Is 198 passing for step 1 these days? What's your comlex? Any other red flags or major positives that could hurt/help you?

You can apply to both matches but it is very tough. I personally did two acgme and two aoa programs when I applied.

Wait, you only applied to 4 programs?!?

192 is passing these days. My COMLEX 1 is 550-575 range. No red flags. I previously had a career with direct pt care in a large ICU. but these days that doesn't seem to set you apart. Did you really only apply to 2 programs on each side?

Reactions: 1 user
192 is passing these days. My COMLEX 1 is 550-575 range. No red flags. I previously had a career with direct pt care in a large ICU. but these days that doesn't seem to set you apart. Did you really only apply to 2 programs on each side?

550-575 Level 1 is perfect. With good auditions, you'll definitely get interviews at almost all the strong AOA programs.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys/girls-
I meant I did two audition rotations on each side(aoa/acgme). I think I applied to 30ish aoa and 40/50 acgme

I agree your level one is good and will get you a lot of interviews.

I agree with everyone so far - focus on AOA audition rotations and showing face. I had 575+ Level 1&2 but didn't do any AOA aways, just 2 ACGME and got very little DO love at all. It's really about auditions. It's very tough to do both too - ACGME programs don't really want AOA SLOEs, and you can't see enough AOA programs if you do 1-2 months at ACGME sites. I'd go all in AOA with your USMLE, even if you were to kill Step 2, you're going to get filtered out by Step 1.

Reactions: 1 user