SLOE from subspecialty rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbrons

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you get an SLOE from a rotation such as emergency ultrasound, pediatric E.M., toxicology, etc.? How are these viewed as opposed to regular E.M. SLOEs?

Members don't see this ad.

Can you get an SLOE from a rotation such as emergency ultrasound, pediatric E.M., toxicology, etc.? How are these viewed as opposed to regular E.M. SLOEs?

Probably less valuable but still important if the evaluator is known EM faculty at a residency program. If you can get at least one SLOE from a EM rotation, and sloe from a sub specialty may be OK

Reactions: 1 user
Some of the places I rotated at did not offer SLOE's or guaranteed interviews to the students who were in the department for sub specialties despite letting them sit in on the EM rotation lectures and other activities.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Some of the places I rotated at did not offer SLOE's or guaranteed interviews to the students who were in the department for sub specialties despite letting them sit in on the EM rotation lectures and other activities.

If this is true then pretty much everything I said in my last post becomes irrelevant lol

I wanted to bump this thread. Has anyone gotten guaranteed interviews or SLOE from emergency medicine subspecialty rotations like EM Ultrasound or EM Peds.

Thank you in advance

I've asked this question at conferences and was told by PDs that it would be fine to use as your 2nd sloe but you should have at least 1 sloe from an EM clerkship.

What's the value of a two-week elective in a subspecialty rotation? I will have a SLOE from my home institution in by September 15th, but my away rotation won't end until late September- this means that I won't be able to get a second SLOE in until sometime in October, depending on how quickly my letter is written.

Would having one SLOE and one letter from a two week elective (+/- a personal letter) in by September 15th be enough for residencies to review my application? I could then submit my second SLOE from a standard ED rotation once it comes in later in October.