SLOE Letter Signature?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abrutus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a quick question. I am a IMG (Mexico). Im applying to EM and im working on getting my LORs. I understand many programs want at least 1 standard SLOE letter. So as I was reviewing it with one of my advisors, I realized that there is an option to electronically sign it, instead of having to print it, manually sign it and scan it. Which saves some time.
So i was wondering if any of you guys know if you can just upload an electronically signed SLOE? I ask this because the ERAS LOR request form specifically states that LoRs cant be electronically signed, however, this is not a standatd LoR but a SLOE.
So I was wondering if any of you guys know whats best. Can he just electronically sign a SLOE with appropiate data and upload it? or would he have to print it on a letter head, sign it and upload it as the other normal LoR`s ?
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

We electronically sign all our SLOEs. Then then PC scans them into ERAS. You won't be able to do it yourself since you're waiving the right to see the letter.

Hi Abrutus/EMmotherhen

I was wondering if any of you two could help me answer a question about SLOEs.
I am also an IMG (Europe) applying this year to an EM residency. I have done two 6 months long hands-on observerships/extrenships in Colorado and I am working as an EM scribe in one of the departments that I have observed. Both of the physicians I observed are a part of the EM faculty but none of the departments/hospitals are directly connected with the EM program.

My question is...can they write me a SLOE?

I would really appreciate any info or advice about this. Thank you so much!

Hi guys, I have a quick question. I am a IMG (Mexico). Im applying to EM and im working on getting my LORs. I understand many programs want at least 1 standard SLOE letter. So as I was reviewing it with one of my advisors, I realized that there is an option to electronically sign it, instead of having to print it, manually sign it and scan it. Which saves some time.
So i was wondering if any of you guys know if you can just upload an electronically signed SLOE? I ask this because the ERAS LOR request form specifically states that LoRs cant be electronically signed, however, this is not a standatd LoR but a SLOE.
So I was wondering if any of you guys know whats best. Can he just electronically sign a SLOE with appropiate data and upload it? or would he have to print it on a letter head, sign it and upload it as the other normal LoR`s ?
thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Abrutus/EMmotherhen

I was wondering if any of you two could help me answer a question about SLOEs.
I am also an IMG (Europe) applying this year to an EM residency. I have done two 6 months long hands-on observerships/extrenships in Colorado and I am working as an EM scribe in one of the departments that I have observed. Both of the physicians I observed are a part of the EM faculty but none of the departments/hospitals are directly connected with the EM program.

My question is...can they write me a SLOE?

I would really appreciate any info or advice about this. Thank you so much!

I'm not 100% sure but I think you have to actually rotate at a residency program and the SLOE needs to come from the PD with the input of the faculty you worked with. They can still write you letters but just not official SLOE's. This is how its been explained to me at least.

I'm not 100% sure but I think you have to actually rotate at a residency program and the SLOE needs to come from the PD with the input of the faculty you worked with. They can still write you letters but just not official SLOE's. This is how its been explained to me at least.

This is how it's done many places but if you look on the CORD website it's not supposed to be. Any faculty member can write the letter.

http://www.cordem.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3743

This is how it's done many places but if you look on the CORD website it's not supposed to be. Any faculty member can write the letter.

It says there are no new changes and that "only emergency medicine faculty" can write a sloe. As of 4 months ago when I checked the rule was that "faculty" were considered to be from a residency program and the PD had to sign it. I seriously doubt that changed because the whole idea of the SLOE is to force 200 PD's to publicly rank the 150 out of 2,000 applicants that rotate through their ED. This means a couple hundred vetted people evaluate everyone so they have standard opinions versus thousands of anonymous EM docs saying what they think.Don't try to get a SLOE from outside the process, it will bury your app.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

It is true than any faculty can write it, but a composite letter signed by the PD is going to carry more weight. At all of the rotations I was on, there was a systematized way for rotators to submit shift evals and have that information put into the SLOE by the PD (or assistant PD).

Reactions: 1 user
It says there are no new changes and that "only emergency medicine faculty" can write a sloe. As of 4 months ago when I checked the rule was that "faculty" were considered to be from a residency program and the PD had to sign it. I seriously doubt that changed because the whole idea of the SLOE is to force 200 PD's to publicly rank the 150 out of 2,000 applicants that rotate through their ED. This means a couple hundred vetted people evaluate everyone so they have standard opinions versus thousands of anonymous EM docs saying what they think.Don't try to get a SLOE from outside the process, it will bury your app.

I specifically said "any faculty member" so I'm not sure what you're going on about. This is an emergency medicine forum so emergency medicine faculty was implied. I'm not convinced it really matters who compiles the composite opinion of the attendings you worked with into a SLOE - a core faculty member vs. a program director. Does the program director inherently have better insight to your performance across the month? Not necessarily. Perhaps an applicant works one shift with the program director but eight shifts with a core faculty member. Who would write a more representative letter of your clinical abilities?

Last edited:
It is true than any faculty can write it, but a composite letter signed by the PD is going to carry more weight. At all of the rotations I was on, there was a systematized way for rotators to submit shift evals and have that information put into the SLOE by the PD (or assistant PD).

I agree. Although, it seems the systematic method of daily evaluations is done in a minority of places to me thus far. It would be better if every program did it this way though.

Reactions: 1 users
I specifically said "any faculty member" so I'm not sure what you're going on about. This is an emergency medicine forum so emergency medicine faculty was implied. I'm not convinced it really matters who compiles the composite opinion of the attendings you worked with into a SLOE - a core faculty member vs. a program director. Does the program director inherently have better insight to your performance across the month? Not necessarily. Perhaps an applicant works one shift with the program director but eight shifts with a core faculty member. Who would write a more representative letter of your clinical abilities?

I was saying that faculty means residency faculty, not EM faculty at a hospital without a program because the guy I replied to before was trying to get a SLOE from a place without one. As far as who writes the letter it doesn't matter but at any place with a residency program offering SLOE's the main writer is the PD, at least thats how its been at all the places I've rotated through. It is a strange process because so far in the audition process I've never worked with my evaluators on more than one shift.