SLOE negative comment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ordersol7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am in what I feel is an odd situation and I am hoping I can get some advice here.

I completed an away rotation in September and did very well, impressing several of the attendings I worked with and coming away with a grade of Honors. However, at the end of the rotation, I lost a form I was supposed to turn in. It was a check box of procedures and specific patient encounters I was supposed to have attendings sign, there were 3 boxed for suture repair, 4 boxes for pelvic exam, 3 for trauma evaluation etc. When I realized I lost it at the end of the rotation I called the clerkship director who told me I needed to turn in the form or else I would be graded as Incomplete, so she and the secretary scheduled me for a couple shifts later in October so I could come back, repeat any procedures I needed to, and also hunt down attendings I worked with and have them sign it again. I eventually completed the form and sent it last Tuesday, 2 weeks after my last shift from my rotation. I'm aware I should have tried to get it back sooner but I had a new elective at my home school to attend and I got a very bad virus as my ER rotation ended that left me bedridden some days and driving 3 hours back to the site of my away just wasn't happening.

Anyway, today I got a message from the secretary that " Due to the delay of documentation, your SLOE is not going to be a strong one.". Of course I'm freaking out on reading that so I get in touch with the clerkship director to find out more. She tells me that I still have Honors for my SLOE but the fact that I was late with my paperwork will be mentioned in the comments. This feels unfair to me as while I realize I'm an idiot for losing the form in the first place I took all the steps I was supposed to to correct the problem and got the form signed and turned in, but I didn't want to argue with the person writing my letter. I've read the clerkship comment summary and it's all glowingly positive. And I can't really not send this letter off since I only did 2 EM rotations and this was my 2nd. Will a comment like this hurt me or is it not that big a deal in the big scheme of things? I would appreciate your advice.
For the record, I don't feel I have a bad relationship with this clerkship director. In fact we worked a shift together and she gave me one of my stronger evals that month, and she told me she thought I did well and would make a great intern.

Members don't see this ad.

I really want to help you with this, but with all due respect, there's multiple "Bad SLOE" threads. There's one a few threads down. My answer would be the same as the one I gave down there.

Reactions: 1 user
I read through that thread. So you think I shouldn't send it? As it is I only have 1 other SLOE (which I know is strong based on what my home clerkship director has told me and the grade I got for overall faculty evaluation) and it's too late now for me to try to get another SLOE from another ER program. Assuming everything else on the SLOE is positive do you really think a line about turning paperwork in late is damning?

Members don't see this ad :)
I read through that thread. So you think I shouldn't send it? As it is I only have 1 other SLOE (which I know is strong based on what my home clerkship director has told me and the grade I got for overall faculty evaluation) and it's too late now for me to try to get another SLOE from another ER program. Assuming everything else on the SLOE is positive do you really think a line about turning paperwork in late is damning?

Do you think it is? From everything you've said, I'd guess no

I don't think so, but I dont know how PDs think.. Like I said I obviously haven't seen my SLOE but I've read the comments that come with the grade report and they're very positive. Hard working, intelligent, self-motivated, excellent bedside manner, and ready for internship now were all phrases used.

I don't think so, but I dont know how PDs think.. Like I said I obviously haven't seen my SLOE but I've read the comments that come with the grade report and they're very positive. Hard working, intelligent, self-motivated, excellent bedside manner, and ready for internship now were all phrases used.

On the red-flag scale, I think 'handing in paperwork late' would barely register

You'll be fine