SLOE timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackDynamite

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it better to apply in September with 1 SLOE or October with 2 SLOE's?

Members don't see this ad.

Sept with one sloe!!! there is absolutely no other discussion needed. It has unanimously been hashed out many times that earlier the app is in whether it is complete or not is always always always better than having it in later.
Sept with full app and sloes> sept with incomplete app or sloes>October app that is full!!!

My school doesn't offer the possibility of an EM elective until August. Is this pretty typical for other schools? I'm going to need July for step 2 prep and August/September for two EM rotations. Just wondering how significant of a disadvantage this is.. :/

Members don't see this ad :)
My school doesn't offer the possibility of an EM elective until August. Is this pretty typical for other schools? I'm going to need July for step 2 prep and August/September for two EM rotations. Just wondering how significant of a disadvantage this is.. :/

I was in the same situation last year. Step 2 in July. First (home) EM rotation in August. Away rotation in September. Ended up getting plenty of interviews.

I would definitely recommend getting two generic letters (non-SLOE, preferably at least one from a EM attending) in addition to your SLOE in August, so you have 3 total letters to send out with your application mid-September. Then send your second SLOE whenever you get it in October. Most programs are pretty good about uploading the SLOE within a couple weeks of the rotation ending.

Reactions: 1 user
I was in the same situation last year. Step 2 in July. First (home) EM rotation in August. Away rotation in September. Ended up getting plenty of interviews.

I would definitely recommend getting two generic letters (non-SLOE, preferably at least one from a EM attending) in addition to your SLOE in August, so you have 3 total letters to send out with your application mid-September. Then send your second SLOE whenever you get it in October. Most programs are pretty good about uploading the SLOE within a couple weeks of the rotation ending.
I second this entire post ;)!!

Will do, thanks so much for the advice.

Since your school won't let you rotate until August, have you thought about doing an away before your home rotation?

I guess I could ask, but then I would be missing a core rotation for step 2 ck.

That's pretty standard timeline tho, at least I thought it was?!

There was an ALIEM google hangout where multiple PDs expressed the opinion that they don't look at applications until Oct. 1 and that u just need a complete app by that point. Obviously some schools send out invites in September as you will see on the interview thread. However, I would think 10/1 is the real deadline.

I'm still having trouble understanding how the letters work and how we get invited for interviews.

For example, I'll have 1 SLOE and 1 other letter by October, with 2 SLOEs coming late October/November. There are many programs that require 3 letters with 1 required SLOE. Is there a way to get an invitation with 1 SLOE, 1 non-SLOE, and add in 2 other SLOEs later, or do you have to have 3 letters to get an interview?

Also, what happens if I put in 1 SLOE and 2 non-SLOE letters at a place with a maximum of 4 letters? Does this mean I can only upload one more SLOE or can I switch out 1 non-SLOE with 2 new SLOEs assuming that the institution haven't offered a position yet?

Sorry guys if this is confusing.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Got Em, the three letter requirement is (in most cases) for ranking purposes. You can definitely get interview invitations with a single SLOE by the time ERAS opens (September 15th).
Also, what happens if I put in 1 SLOE and 2 non-SLOE letters at a place with a maximum of 4 letters? Does this mean I can only upload one more SLOE or can I switch out 1 non-SLOE with 2 new SLOEs assuming that the institution haven't offered a position yet?

The former is correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you @Cinematographer !!

Another question - Is there a way for programs to know where I'm doing late aways? For example, if I'm in the South and my East Coast SLOEs are later in the season, how would I let the East Coast programs know that I'm doing these aways? My Dean said that there's no place to put this in ERAS, but just wanted to find a way to do this. Thanks in advance.

Thank you @Cinematographer !!

Another question - Is there a way for programs to know where I'm doing late aways? For example, if I'm in the South and my East Coast SLOEs are later in the season, how would I let the East Coast programs know that I'm doing these aways? My Dean said that there's no place to put this in ERAS, but just wanted to find a way to do this. Thanks in advance.

Why do you feel like you need to share this information? Are you hoping that they will save an interview spot for you once you get those additional SLOEs?

To answer the question directly, there is no mechanism for this in ERAS.

Ideally you want all your letters by the time you apply, but don't hold back your app of you are waiting to letters.

Some programs won't look at your app until everything is in places, and you may end up not getting invited to some interviews as a result.

If you can move up your rotations, do that.

Our PD said some programs will write you a letter a few weeks into your rotation so you can get it in earlier. So that could help you if your aways are willing to do that. My last away (late Sept-Oct) is my only rotation outside my region, so I'm hoping we can expedite that letter before PDs start reviewing apps (I'll have 3 SLOEs by submission, however).

Why do you feel like you need to share this information? Are you hoping that they will save an interview spot for you once you get those additional SLOEs?

To answer the question directly, there is no mechanism for this in ERAS.

I need to share this because I'm from a state that's known for their students never leaving. My 1st away rotation is in this state, and I've been in this state for 20+ years. For example, if you've lived in Louisiana for 20+ years and your one SLOE is from Louisiana, the chances of you getting an interview in the East Coast is definitely less than if they know you did or you're doing an away on the East Coast.

Unless I'm wrong and this is totally not the case?

I need to share this because I'm from a state that's known for their students never leaving. My 1st away rotation is in this state, and I've been in this state for 20+ years. For example, if you've lived in Louisiana for 20+ years and your one SLOE is from Louisiana, the chances of you getting an interview in the East Coast is definitely less than if they know you did or you're doing an away on the East Coast.

Unless I'm wrong and this is totally not the case?

What state? You are absolutely overthinking this. No one is going to blow off your app just because you are from X place. November is kind of late but not the worst since you'll already have a SLOE in your app. One of mine came at that time and I don't think it affected my invites much, if at all.

You'll be ok.

Ideally you want all your letters by the time you apply, but don't hold back your app if you are waiting to letters.

Some programs won't look at your app until everything is in places, and you may end up not getting invited to some interviews as a result.

If you can move up your rotations, do that.

If I have 1 rotation that ends in July, one that end late Sept, and one that end late Oct, would you recommend send app out w/ 1 SLOE and 1 non-SLOE (later send out 2 more SLOEs as they come) OR just send the app out with 1 SLOE and 2 non-SLOE letters and later add on the 2nd SLOE?

Also, if I go the route w/ 1 SLOE + 2 non-SLOEs, would programs w/ 4 max letters be upset when I tell them that I can only send 1 of the 2 later SLOEs?

Sorry for all the dumb questions. Just trying to make a game plan, as the 2 later rotations are places I really want to go.

What state? You are absolutely overthinking this. No one is going to blow off your app just because you are from X place. November is kind of late but not the worst since you'll already have a SLOE in your app. One of mine came at that time and I don't think it affected my invites much, if at all.

You'll be ok.

I understand what you're saying, and I'm sure there are numerous programs that are saying exactly what you're saying. However, I went to a few conferences and there were a few PDs and APDs that said the exact opposite. It's basically something like this "If you're from California, went to med school in Cali, and did away rotations in Cali, then you obviously do not want to come to "X" state, and we're your back up. I throw those apps in the trash."

I guess I'm just trying to weigh a later rotation and "unlocking" a region I'd want to be at vs. an earlier rotation w/ good SLOE, but decreased chances of getting invites from that region.

Anyway, thanks for your input. You've been very helpful.

If I have 1 rotation that ends in July, one that end late Sept, and one that end late Oct, would you recommend send app out w/ 1 SLOE and 1 non-SLOE (later send out 2 more SLOEs as they come) OR just send the app out with 1 SLOE and 2 non-SLOE letters and later add on the 2nd SLOE?

Also, if I go the route w/ 1 SLOE + 2 non-SLOEs, would programs w/ 4 max letters be upset when I tell them that I can only send 1 of the 2 later SLOEs?

Sorry for all the dumb questions. Just trying to make a game plan, as the 2 later rotations are places I really want to go.

Having an October rotation probably won't help your overall app.
You likely won't have a letter until December 1.
Even if you send it out that day, chances are programs may take a week or two to look at it, if they look at it at all.

Only do that rotation if it is at a place where you would like to do residency.

Im always amazed at the terrible scheduling issues in 4th year.