SLOE woe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrbazoun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys n gals,

I should have one SLOE ready to go out with my app. My second SLOE won't be in until approx DECEMBER from a rotation ending in November. My other letter is from an ER program director but is not a SLOE (I'm a DO student and rotated at a DO program where the PD doesn't write SLOEs...found out at the last second). How much will this hurt my application? Is it even worth saving a spot for this letter on my app or should i just submit a letter I am getting from a family doc I worked with who knows me well?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

One SLOE by October 1st. Another SLOE by the time programs make their rank lists. You'll be fine. But make sure you get that second SLOE in - it's definitely not too late a letter to influence your rank position, but only having one SLOE will hurt you more than only having 3 letters until December.

There are exceptions, of course. There will be occasional programs that really want 2 SLOEs before offering interviews. These programs are few and far between. Don't get me wrong, however. It is certainly better to have 2 SLOEs by interview invitation time. But you will not be disqualified for only having one early in the process.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello guys n gals,

I should have one SLOE ready to go out with my app. My second SLOE won't be in until approx DECEMBER from a rotation ending in November. My other letter is from an ER program director but is not a SLOE (I'm a DO student and rotated at a DO program where the PD doesn't write SLOEs...found out at the last second). How much will this hurt my application? Is it even worth saving a spot for this letter on my app or should i just submit a letter I am getting from a family doc I worked with who knows me well?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Unless you know the Dec SLOE is off the charts good don't bother with it. It won't get you any new interviews and it won't help you at places you've already been invited to unless its amazing. If its anything less than amazing it might hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you know the Dec SLOE is off the charts good don't bother with it. It won't get you any new interviews and it won't help you at places you've already been invited to unless its amazing. If its anything less than amazing it might hurt.

I disagree. That second SLOE could very well help in the OP's rank position. I agree it is unlikely to garner any interviews, but don't underestimate the impact it may have on your final position.

Reactions: 1 users
I disagree. That second SLOE could very well help in the OP's rank position. I agree it is unlikely to garner any interviews, but don't underestimate the impact it may have on your final position.

I second this. Unless its a SLOE that is clearly bad with negative comments, it won't hurt, and will likely only help you. I use a weighted scoring system to score an applicants entire application. Having 0 or 1 SLOE would put you at a significant disadvantage. Mid 1/3 SLOE would be better than no SLOE at all. And I ask every candidate if they have any further SLOEs coming, and will even email them closer to the match date if they told me they do and I don't get one from them. With the multitude of residencies out there, I'm sure that many of them use some type of scoring system. So if you get one, I'd make sure they get it.

Reactions: 1 user