Slowly Loosing Confidence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spartandoc17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all-
I need your opinions.
I just cannot seem to get my crap together. I am a pre-med senior. My GPA has been all over the place. Currently, my overall GPA is a 3.52 and my BCPM GPA is a 3.22. I thought a lot more of my biomedical science classes would could in my BCPM, but they dont. I am really hoping to get into MD schools but I don't think that's realistic anymore. I've had to work on an off different semesters and have dealt with bad anxiety and as a result of what my anxiety has caused me to do I've also had to battle depression. I get decent grades throughout the semester and absolutely bomb my finals even if I study and know the material well.
I've started contemplating the possibility of not even applying to med school because I can't help but feel like I'm just not smart enough (even though everyone tells me I'm smart and that I'll make a great doctor).
I have volunteering experience, 3 semesters of research, pretty solid letters of rec, and TA/leadership experience. I have not taken the MCAT yet and am planning on a gap year.
I usually don't lack this much confidence but I am just freaking out.
Please give some advice!
Thanks a ton :)

Members don't see this ad.

Why wouldn't your biomedical science classes count in your BCPM?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really want it go for it! Consider doing a post bac but if you do you gotta nail it. Research is also key. Look I felt the same way my senior year. I had a 3.4 science gpa and 3.5 cumulative. The premed office at my school basically told e I wasn't going to cut it and told me to apply to low tier schools if any at all. Instead I took 2 years off to do significant research, studied up and did well on the MCAT. I applied and got 9 interviews and accepted to mount Sinai and up for a merit scholarship. Trust me, if you really want it there's nothing that can't be done. Just graduate the best you can and then in your gap years go kick some ass!

If you really want it go for it! Consider doing a post bac but if you do you gotta nail it. Research is also key. Look I felt the same way my senior year. I had a 3.4 science gpa and 3.5 cumulative. The premed office at my school basically told e I wasn't going to cut it and told me to apply to low tier schools if any at all. Instead I took 2 years off to do significant research, studied up and did well on the MCAT. I applied and got 9 interviews and accepted to mount Sinai and up for a merit scholarship. Trust me, if you really want it there's nothing that can't be done. Just graduate the best you can and then in your gap years go kick some ass!

thank you!! I have considered doing post bac...because a good GPA is indicative of being able to handle the med school curriculum. If I really want it and I won't get in now I will have to just wait a few more years I guess :)

no because some of the BMS classes are upper level research credits and nutrition classes
I think research credits can count, no?

Why do you think your GPA is all over the place? I'd have a solid answer to that before taking any more classes because you'll want As.

no because some of the BMS classes are upper level research credits and nutrition classes
I would think that these classes would count in the BCPM. See if you can talk to a premed adviser about this.

n=1 but I applied with a 3.2 BCPM and received multiple IIs and acceptances so far (check out my MDapps for context). So it can be done. Tell a good story and do well on the MCAT, and apply broadly to both MD and DO schools. BME is a hell of a major and it could make anyone feel insufficient. Best of luck, and do whatever you can to do well in the rest of your course work!