SLP Dual Degrees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpeechPath

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of dual degrees for SLPs. I am particularly looking for one with Linguistics.

Members don't see this ad.

I've not heard of a program that offers that specifically, but if you want to be a speech language pathologist and have a strong interest related to linguistics, you may be interested in doing research during a Master's program. Most MS/MA programs in SLP at research universities would offer that kind of opportunity, either with the option of doing an master's thesis or working as a research assistant in a professors lab.

If you do not want to work clinically, then you may be more interested in doctoral programs in linguistics or speech-language pathology. Typically, researchers in SLP who focus on language look at language development, disorders, or interventions.

A better idea might be to do a masters in SLP first and then apply for a PhD. Many SLPs with their doctorates have a PhD in a closely related field (e.g. cognitive psychology, neuroscience, linguistics). I was a linguistics major undergrad and got a masters in SLP. I am currently applying for PhDs, and I think it definitely helped going through the masters program to determine what my research interests are.

A better idea might be to do a masters in SLP first and then apply for a PhD. Many SLPs with their doctorates have a PhD in a closely related field (e.g. cognitive psychology, neuroscience, linguistics). I was a linguistics major undergrad and got a masters in SLP. I am currently applying for PhDs, and I think it definitely helped going through the masters program to determine what my research interests are.

This is a good suggestion, but you decided to continue to get a PhD because you don't want to practice speech pathology (yet). What PhD are you applying for? And why do you prefer to research after you've gotten the SLP? I would just want to start working as soon as possible! The reason I would want a dual masters with Linguistics is because I didn't get enough of it during my undergraduate.