Smdep 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have earned 52 units from my institution, 28 AP units, and 10 units from a CC while in high school. That would be a total of 90 units and by your estimates I would be a senior in terms of units. Regardless, I am not going to graduate until 2013 because of gen ed requirements, major requirements, etc... I contacted the program sites I applied to and they said advanced credit does not count, while the NPO says it only matters what I am classified as on my transcript, regardless of advanced credit. I asked this question to several program sites prior to applying to ensure that I was eligible. That ensured me that I was eligible because I am a 2nd year college student. My app has been submitted and completed for some time now. But I guess that and what the program sites think will mean nothing if the NPO does not forward my app for review.

I had that same problem! I came in with 28 AP credits, and I called them to make sure. They told me as far as AP credits goes, it doesn't contribute to the "total amount" that determines your standing as a sophomore or junior. However, credits from CC from dual enrollement will count :(

So the 52 (from current college) +10 (from CC) = 62 which places you in the junior standing D:

Members don't see this ad.

I had that same problem! I came in with 28 AP credits, and I called them to make sure. They told me as far as AP credits goes, it doesn't contribute to the "total amount" that determines your standing as a sophomore or junior. However, credits from CC from dual enrollement will count :(

So the 52 (from current college) +10 (from CC) = 62 which places you in the junior standing D:

Yea I'm dual-enrolled at a CC full-time currently after my soph yr in hs.

racked up 22 credits so far and haven't had a problem from SMDEP

Torshi, I'm not exactly sure what you mean here. Can you please clarify?

Members don't see this ad :)

Are you currently a sophomore or a freshman? If you're a first year, coming in with CC credits will not hurt since you will not be classified as a "junior" in terms of credits.

PremedLA3, I'm crossing my fingers for you :) I think it's unfair that students should be penalized just because they were ambitious in hs and wanted to take college credits :/

Wait....so does that mean you're currently a junior in hs? O.O I thought SMDEP is for freshmen and sophomores currently in college?

No, he's a college junior if someone just looked at credits he racked up while in HS.

Wait....so does that mean you're currently a junior in hs? O.O I thought SMDEP is for freshmen and sophomores currently in college?

"technically" But on paper, I'm considered a college student and I am a full-time student in college. I never did that thing where people dual enroll and take a few college courses then GO BACK to high school. After i left my soph yr in high school..i left for good.

After my soph yr in hs, i switched my transcript to homeschool then dual enrolled through a local CC, but FULL-TIME fall/spring terms at college. No hs courses whatsoever. Racked up 22 credits of some general courses so far, so I'm basically a freshman in college. In order to "graduate" from the dual credit program, i need a associates degree aka my "high school/college diploma" basically. Then i transfer out to a university

Last edited:
"technically" But on paper, I'm considered a college student and I am a full-time student in college. I never did that thing where people dual enroll and take a few college courses then GO BACK to high school. After i left my soph yr in high school..i left for good.

After my soph yr in hs, i switched my transcript to homeschool then dual enrolled through a local CC, but FULL-TIME fall/spring terms at college. No hs courses whatsoever. Racked up 22 credits of some general courses so far, so I'm basically a freshman in college. In order to "graduate" from the dual credit program, i need a associates degree aka my "high school/college diploma" basically. Then i transfer out to a university

Oooooh, I see. So yeah, your a college student (lol). So your classified as a college freshman...you shouldn't have a problem with SMDEP then.

I'm just saying that if your classified as a junior (even if you took college credits in hs), SMDEP will consider you a junior even if you're a second year student. An exception would be AP credits. (I called last year because I wanted to do SMDEP this summer, but would have applied for last summer if it were a problem... The person I spoke told me AP credits do not count when they consider your academic standing. CC credits do. This was last year though, they could have changed it this year.)

PreMedLA3, when you check your status on the website, what does it say by the transcript status?

Also, does anyone know if the sites will start reviewing your app if you're missing a letter or rec? My advisor (asked her 2 months ago) still has not sent in her letter yet my professor (asked him a month ago) sent it in 2 weeks ago. -_______- And advisors are supposed to help keep ME on TRACK?

Oooooh, I see. So yeah, your a college student (lol). So your classified as a college freshman...you shouldn't have a problem with SMDEP then.

I'm just saying that if your classified as a junior (even if you took college credits in hs), SMDEP will consider you a junior even if you're a second year student. An exception would be AP credits. (I called last year because I wanted to do SMDEP this summer, but would have applied for last summer if it were a problem... The person I spoke told me AP credits do not count when they consider your academic standing. CC credits do. This was last year though, they could have changed it this year.)

PreMedLA3, when you check your status on the website, what does it say by the transcript status?

Also, does anyone know if the sites will start reviewing your app if you're missing a letter or rec? My advisor (asked her 2 months ago) still has not sent in her letter yet my professor (asked him a month ago) sent it in 2 weeks ago. -_______- And advisors are supposed to help keep ME on TRACK?

The status of the transcripts from both my current college and the CC are listed as "Received/Approved". It has been listed as such and the application status overall has been listed as "Completed" since 12/28, although the program sites have not begun to review it.

So I have a few questions.

First, for some reason one of my LORs that was sent end of november is still not showing up as recieved but my 2nd LOR and transcripts have been received. Will they begin to look at my apps even tho the other letter of rec has not come in yet?

Second, I am filipino and I am worried that i have no chance bc i am not URM. Have there been any filipinos that made it into the program?

Last, do you think I still have a chance to make it if i only have a 3.3 but I have great letters of recommendation and essays.

Yea that's messed up I would be so pissed...
I always follow up with my letter writers, after i ask i would email them to follow up on the process, and for them to not do exactly what happened to you, waiting a few months, that is ridiculous if you ask me.

Yea that's messed up I would be so pissed...
I always follow up with my letter writers, after i ask i would email them to follow up on the process, and for them to not do exactly what happened to you, waiting a few months, that is ridiculous if you ask me.

I emailed her last week to remind her and it seems as if she didn't even begin the letter yet...she asked me for my SMDEP applicant number (mind you, I gave her ALL of the required info...she didnt even look over it). It sucks though how you need one from an advisor :/ Oh well, I heard from the past, sites will process your app even if your second letter doesnt arrive on time so crossing my fingers!

Decisions will be out in a little over a month...can't wait : ))))

Btw which sites did you guys apply to?

I applied to Duke, Columbia, and UW.

I emailed her last week to remind her and it seems as if she didn't even begin the letter yet...she asked me for my SMDEP applicant number (mind you, I gave her ALL of the required info...she didnt even look over it). It sucks though how you need one from an advisor :/ Oh well, I heard from the past, sites will process your app even if your second letter doesnt arrive on time so crossing my fingers!

Decisions will be out in a little over a month...can't wait : ))))

Yea, man not too long from now.
I submitted my app earlier this week, so i applied to Houston, Nebraska, Kentucky.

I sent my transcript/LOR's just waiting for them to be processed

I found out about this program not too long ago. Can't wait either ;p
But, I don't see any high chances, but there is always next year and next time I'll apply super early and apply anywhere i want

Members don't see this ad :)

I applied to UVA, Howard, and UW (my top choice!). I sent in my app 12/18 but it was not completed until 1/7. I'm still waiting on one more LOR..

How valuable are SMDEPs to an application?

How valuable are SMDEPs to an application?

It's just good to have exposure to medicine. But there are a lot of other things you can do besides SMDEP. But if you have done it, it just opens up a lot more doors for you and future programs

It's just good to have exposure to medicine. But there are a lot of other things you can do besides SMDEP. But if you have done it, it just opens up a lot more doors for you and future programs

Ya that's my biggest reason for doing this program. Looks great on applications.

Ya that's my biggest reason for doing this program. Looks great on applications.
I don't think it's just the "o hai i did smdep. kewl rite? :thumbup:" but, like I quoted from Columbia's site's mission, they strive to help you get into the Med school of your choice ^^

I don't think it's just the "o hai i did smdep. kewl rite? :thumbup:" but, like I quoted from Columbia's site's mission, they strive to help you get into the Med school of your choice ^^

Sorry I don't understand "O hai" what are you trying saying?

how do you know which sites are full? I am going to apply by 1/10. is that too late for ut Houston, ucla, and Washington? I a sophomore

For the LORs, can the prof just fill out the form or do they need to actually write a letter?

how do you know which sites are full? I am going to apply by 1/10. is that too late for ut Houston, ucla, and Washington? I a sophomore

You won't know when they are full, but I do know about 80 applicants fill a site each year. Also, your fine applying by 1/10, earlier the better.

I have submitted my application yesterday. How many days do they take to link your application w/ recommendation and transcript?

I have submitted my application yesterday. How many days do they take to link your application w/ recommendation and transcript?

When you submit your online application it is immediately available for SMDEP.

As for the transcripts and LOR's they tend to take 10+ days for them to be "received" but I'm sure they get them earlier it's just that they don't update your status until later.

You should be fine, everything will be processed before the deadline for sure if there's no problems.

Is anybody's application currently being reviewed by any of their program sites? If not, does anybody know when they will begin reviewing our apps?

Is anybody's application currently being reviewed by any of their program sites? If not, does anybody know when they will begin reviewing our apps?

My app is currently being reviewed by Yale, but there are no updates on the status as far as the other two sites (Duke and Howard) are concerned. I think they start reviewing the applications as they come in, but all of the sites probably won't update our statuses accordingly.

My app is currently being reviewed by Yale, but there are no updates on the status as far as the other two sites (Duke and Howard) are concerned. I think they start reviewing the applications as they come in, but all of the sites probably won't update our statuses accordingly.

When was your app deemed "complete" according to the view status page, and when did it first indicate Yale was reviewing your app?

When was your app deemed "complete" according to the view status page, and when did it first indicate Yale was reviewing your app?

It was "completed" on 12/15 and they began reviewing (or finally listed it as being under review) about a week ago

I attend a top 20 liberal arts college. I applied to UCLA, Washington, and Houston. Does UCLA only want Community College students and how competitive is Washington and Houston?

I attend a top 20 liberal arts college. I applied to UCLA, Washington, and Houston. Does UCLA only want Community College students and how competitive is Washington and Houston?

Yeah, UCLA targets CC students, but I don't think it's exclusive. Washington seems like it's pretty competitive since a lot of us here have applied to that site. I think Houston is less competitive (along with Nebraska and Louisville??).

I also applied to UVA and Howard, anyone know how competitive these sites are?

Yale is reviewing mine as of now. I am freaking out though bc they only have ONE of my letters of recommendation. I don't now what to do. I may have to call them tomorrow.:confused:

All of my stuff is in!

Now I just have to wait until the sites review them...and Feb.15th O.O

Finally done. 5298 andd 3980 lol.

Well hopefully New Jersey, Nebraska, or Houston will take me.

Waiting on transcripts which I ordered last week, and recommendations that won't be written till the 12th. I should have asked my professors earlier :thumbdown:...oh well I guess they love their vacations.

Good luck everyone else. :thumbup:

Hi guys! So i attended Duke SMDEP 2010. I got into Duke, Case Western Reserve and Howard. Chose Duke because of the reputation their program has as one of the toughest. All I can say is it was worth it. Course work was helpful,networking was awesome and the shadowing experience i obtained was wonderful. SMDEP is a great program in general. My cumulative GPA at then was 3.75 with a 3.3 in my major,biology. i am a minority but Duke also had a few white kids so okshxtsaty, i suggest you give it a try too. these programs are stepping stones to greater opprotunities and advantages in the future(at least that's what I got from it). And i got in without LOR's cos for some reason the sites said they never got them. But I guess i was lucky then. guys goodluck! Note: I wrote great essays too so maybe you should take the essays serious :)

is there a way to change one of the sites you applied to? I didn't know that icla only wants community college students

is there a way to change one of the sites you applied to? I didn't know that icla only wants community college students

"On this page you can choose up to three program sites. Review your designated program sites carefully. Once you submit your application to SMDEP, you cannot remove, add, or substitute sites on your designation list under ANY circumstances."

Sorry, I got this from "Designated Program Sites" in the Help section (you can see it after you log in).

Nope it's too late, once you submit it's done..

The only thing you might be able to change are the minor things like your address if you move etc.
Other than that you can't change anything else