Smdep 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys! So i attended Duke SMDEP 2010. I got into Duke, Case Western Reserve and Howard. Chose Duke because of the reputation their program has as one of the toughest. All I can say is it was worth it. Course work was helpful,networking was awesome and the shadowing experience i obtained was wonderful. SMDEP is a great program in general. My cumulative GPA at then was 3.75 with a 3.3 in my major,biology. i am a minority but Duke also had a few white kids so okshxtsaty, i suggest you give it a try too. these programs are stepping stones to greater opprotunities and advantages in the future(at least that's what I got from it). And i got in without LOR's cos for some reason the sites said they never got them. But I guess i was lucky then. guys goodluck! Note: I wrote great essays too so maybe you should take the essays serious :)

When did you submit your application? and minority African- American, Hispanic what? I'm guess African-american because you applied to howard but just asking.

Members don't see this ad.

is there a way to change one of the sites you applied to? I didn't know that icla only wants community college students

pretty sure you cannot change your sites and you never know what UCLA is really looking for. i asure you that not ONLY CC get in.

sent the app today. alittle worried about the units I have but oh well have to try.

Members don't see this ad :)
ya that's what I mean. The ppl at the National office weren't very nice or helpful.

ya that's what I mean. The ppl at the National office weren't very nice or helpful.

Yea, sometimes they don't even answer back..

How many units do you have, because i mean this program is meant for freshman/sophomore so it's fine if you don't have that much, at least you qualify for being a freshman etc.

I only have 22 credits and they were just some general courses.

Yea, sometimes they don't even answer back..

How many units do you have, because i mean this program is meant for freshman/sophomore so it's fine if you don't have that much, at least you qualify for being a freshman etc.

I only have 22 credits and they were just some general courses.

I am a 2nd year so I have alot more. Around 61.

oh i see ;/

Yea i think 60-89 is junior, but yea you never know.

Yea but at my school its 90 units is a junior so idk, they said whatever status is written on my transcript is what they will go with so hopefully it says sophomore, which is dumb because I will be junior by the time I actually get to a site if I am accepted.

Yea but at my school its 90 units is a junior so idk, they said whatever status is written on my transcript is what they will go with so hopefully it says sophomore, which is dumb because I will be junior by the time I actually get to a site if I am accepted.

You shoulda asked for a copy of your transcript to look at. But yea if your school says 90 units=junior, then no worries.

You shoulda asked for a copy of your transcript to look at. But yea if your school says 90 units=junior, then no worries.

Let's hope so! I'll post tomorrow when I find out.. if you still care hahaha.

sent the app today. alittle worried about the units I have but oh well have to try.

I am in a similar situation as you. I have 90 units total; 52 from my college, 28 AP units, and 10 units from CC concurrent enrollment while in high school. The people at the NPO were indeed neither friendly nor helpful. All they seemed to know was that eligibility is determined by what you are classified as on your transcript. I asked for further clarification and details only to be met with the same answer. I directly contacted some of the program sites and asked the same question. They told me I had nothing to worry about because advanced credit does not count in their assessment of my eligibility. My transcripts were listed as "received/approved" on the view status page and Nebraska has begun to review my application. I take those as good signs indicating there are no problems with my eligibility. I hope my notion is correct.

I am in a similar situation as you. I have 90 units total; 52 from my college, 28 AP units, and 10 units from CC concurrent enrollment while in high school. The people at the NPO were indeed neither friendly nor helpful. All they seemed to know was that eligibility is determined by what you are classified as on your transcript. I asked for further clarification and details only to be met with the same answer. I directly contacted some of the program sites and asked the same question. They told me I had nothing to worry about because advanced credit does not count in their assessment of my eligibility. My transcripts were listed as "received/approved" on the view status page and Nebraska has begun to review my application. I take those as good signs indicating there are no problems with my eligibility. I hope my notion is correct.

Yea AP credits don't count that much I know. But with 52 credits I'm guessing you go to a school that uses the quarter system and under the quarter system it is 0-44.5 is freshman and 44.5-89 is sophomore whereas semester system is 0-29 is freshman and 29-60 for sophomores. It took a lot of searching to find those stats so sorry if you know this already I just had to write it.

Members don't see this ad :)
My random post of the week:

Make sure your Facebook match up with what your wrote in your applications. I'm 100% positive that they probably look at that stuff too. Heck even jobs look at people's Facebook.

My random post of the week:

Make sure your Facebook match up with what your wrote in your applications. I'm 100% positive that they probably look at that stuff too. Heck even jobs look at people's Facebook.

Lol.
Yea I keep my Facebook private

Good Idea

I tried using chrome firefox safari and internet explorer to no avail. Anyone else with a mac having trouble on the county code section?

Yeah man I totally have this issue. I've finished most of the application except for the last part of biographical info because of "county code" when it isn't even starred.

As for me I started the application forever ago in december, but now I'm finishing up both personal statements and diversity essays. I'll probably send them both through the writing center at my college since I'm not a very good writer. I'll probably be totally done around early Feb. I'm applying to UVA, Howard and Columbia. I'm not URM. Live in a normal suburban middle class hood. I know I'm at a disadvantage, but it can't hurt to apply. Anyone know the people accepted vs. people apply ordeal?

Yeah man I totally have this issue. I've finished most of the application except for the last part of biographical info because of "county code" when it isn't even starred.

As for me I started the application forever ago in december, but now I'm finishing up both personal statements and diversity essays. I'll probably send them both through the writing center at my college since I'm not a very good writer. I'll probably be totally done around early Feb. I'm applying to UVA, Howard and Columbia. I'm not URM. Live in a normal suburban middle class hood. I know I'm at a disadvantage, but it can't hurt to apply. Anyone know the people accepted vs. people apply ordeal?

Well there are a lot of non-URM who get accepted, and they are always wanting people. They encourage anyone from all backgrounds to apply, you don't necessarily have to be a URM because there are people who are accepted from all backgrounds, you just have to convince them you care about the underserved population mainly. Other than that you are fine. Essay's are extremely important.

I had that problem too and I emailed them and this is what I got back:

"Thank you for contacting the Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP). The SMDEP Web application has functions that depend on your Web browser. We strongly suggest using Internet Explorer 5.01 or above. Our site will also support Netscape 6.0 or above. While other browser types may work with the application, the SMDEP National Program Office cannot provide support for them.

In addition, please be sure that you are using an IBM compatible computer (HP, Dell, Compaq, etc.). Macintosh/Apple users may not be unable to access the application."

I had that problem too and I emailed them and this is what I got back:

"Thank you for contacting the Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP). The SMDEP Web application has functions that depend on your Web browser. We strongly suggest using Internet Explorer 5.01 or above. Our site will also support Netscape 6.0 or above. While other browser types may work with the application, the SMDEP National Program Office cannot provide support for them.

In addition, please be sure that you are using an IBM compatible computer (HP, Dell, Compaq, etc.). Macintosh/Apple users may not be unable to access the application."

I had this problem, but if you switch too internet explorer you should be fine. It might not work at first but try it twice and it should eventually work.

I was using firefox at first and that's why there was an error.

Yeah I got it to work. The first time I went on a windows based computer and used firefox and was like wtf is going on, but then I used the dreaded IE and got it to work. It was like sticking needles into my eyes

Yeah it was a major pia. I had to use a friends pc to actually fill out my other demographic info. I finally submitted this morning though, with my transcript and LORs (eventually) on their way. We're in the same boat though because I'm whiter than Jesus's underpants and I applied to UVA Yale and Texas.Hope I get in !!

FINALLY I see application movement! Ha. Case Western is reviewing my application even though my LOR's are not yet received.:thumbup:

FINALLY I see application movement! Ha. Case Western is reviewing my application even though my LOR's are not yet received.:thumbup:

So all you had was your transcript and app?

they received both my LOR's and app, not my transcript yet. So basically just waiting for my transcript to get there hopefully.

yep. only one of my LORs have been recieved and yale is reviewing my app too. kinda scared but hoping for the best.:xf:

How can you tell what school is reviewing

How can you tell what school is reviewing

You log in to your smdep account and on the left hand side you will see "view status" and you click on it.

It shows when your app was submitted, if LOR's have been received/transcripts, and if schools are reviewing your app.

So all you had was your transcript and app?

they received both my LOR's and app, not my transcript yet. So basically just waiting for my transcript to get there hopefully.

Yes, it surprised me too. Waiting on Duke and UW also. I followed up with my recommender, she hasn't even completed my LOR yet. She told me she would send an email when the LOR is completed. Have received nothing. So basically I'm still jumping through hoops. I am just going to bug her till it gets sent. :poke:

Yes, it surprised me too. Waiting on Duke and UW also. I followed up with my recommender, she hasn't even completed my LOR yet. She told me she would send an email when the LOR is completed. Have received nothing. So basically I'm still jumping through hoops. I am just going to bug her till it gets sent. :poke:

I'm also waiting for UW and Duke (also Colombia) to start reviewing... looks like these sites are going to wait til the last minute to start :/ does anyone who applied to these sites have their apps under review by them yet?

hey everyone. I finished the application December 15th and now I'm just waiting till February to hear back from Columbia, New Jersey, and Nebraska. On the website it says all three are reviewing my application. A common advice from past members keeps on being to finish the application as fast as possible; preferably before february 1st. I wish nothing but the best of luck to everyone.

I'm also waiting for UW and Duke (also Colombia) to start reviewing... looks like these sites are going to wait til the last minute to start :/ does anyone who applied to these sites have their apps under review by them yet?

Nice, who is your top choice? Mine's Duke...

Last edited:
Nice, who is your top choice? Mine's Duke...

I really want to go to UW...but Idk if thats such a good idea since their medical schools is limited to residents of certain states..

Columbia is nice too (spending the summer in NY sounds awesome even though we're supposed to be there to work, not play :p)

Heck, I'm just hoping one of the sites accept me :xf:

I really want to go to UW...but Idk if thats such a good idea since their medical schools is limited to residents of certain states..

Columbia is nice too (spending the summer in NY sounds awesome even though we're supposed to be there to work, not play :p)

Yea you said it. I just want one site to accept me!

Definitely...

After your LOR's say received, does it have to be "approved" after that. Will the status change for the LOR from received to approved?

Does anyone know if there's anyway you could get the LOR form without submitting your app first? basically, i haven't finished my app yet, but i want to give my recommender(s) the forms....

so do they just have to write a letter? or are there specific prompts?

Does anyone know if there's anyway you could get the LOR form without submitting your app first? basically, i haven't finished my app yet, but i want to give my recommender(s) the forms....

When you get to the part on the app regarding the info of the letter writers, it will put all the info that you inserted on the form then you can print it, then after you print it, submit your app.

You can also on the very left hand side just print out the form and fill it out by hand, but i wouldn't recommend it.

I had no problem asking for LORs before submitting my app. I printed the recommendation from http://www.smdep.org/apply.htm and filled out the form including my SMDEP ID number. My advisor faxed the LOR in mid Dec and I submitted my app late in Dec. My status says that everything's received/approved and completed so this can be done.

But my question is if it's important to submit app early then, doesn't it put freshman at a disadvantage? I requested my transcript early in December but the earliest it could be sent was early January and my transcript was received only yesterday. Or do the sites have a quota of freshmen vs. sophomores?

I had no problem asking for LORs before submitting my app. I printed the recommendation from http://www.smdep.org/apply.htm and filled out the form including my SMDEP ID number. My advisor faxed the LOR in mid Dec and I submitted my app late in Dec. My status says that everything's received/approved and completed so this can be done.

But my question is if it's important to submit app early then, doesn't it put freshman at a disadvantage? I requested my transcript early in December but the earliest it could be sent was early January and my transcript was received only yesterday. Or do the sites have a quota of freshmen vs. sophomores?

My guess would be early admission is geared toward sophomores and after that is for freshmen.

After your LOR's say received, does it have to be "approved" after that. Will the status change for the LOR from received to approved?

I have the same question, anyone know? Mine have been "received" for almost a month.

Well I hope to see you there! Would be nice to meet a fellow SDNer in person. Wishing us both luck luls. Long road ahead anyway.

No matter what site you go to you will probably see someone from this site or the facebook group so that's pretty cool too.