Smdep 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone else try calling today and they got that "the message was not recorded please disconnect." ? Is their number broken?

Members don't see this ad.

Ones, so you're saying that SMDEP won't look that good on a med-school application? Would it be better to just volunteer for a summer at a hospital instead.

Or perhaps do an internship.
If you could find research to do, I think that would be most helpful. This is more like a prep program for URM

Did anyone else try calling today and they got that "the message was not recorded please disconnect." ? Is their number broken?

I got that message the first few times I called but I just kept calling back at different times and eventually got a hold of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright so this is what smdep is going to look like: everyday you have 3 classes..one writing, two sciences. A yale professor teaches the biology class, but that's it. After class is over and after one week when everyone becomes comfortable, everyone starts going to parties. The information they give for classes like physics, orgo, chem, are all basic stuff that you should know already. I think the yale professor was the only class I learned something.
It's a great time to meet new people and have a fun summer, but I wouldn't consider it anything more and I doubt med schools do too. SMDEP is a funded program and schools like yale, columbia only host smdep. It's not like columbia or yale is offering the program, its just that smdep is at yale or columbia which isn't a big deal. Also it is very easy to get in, they just pick the first 100 students that meet the criteria and there are a lot and I mean A LOT of weak students. People who don't even know basics, don't even know simple chemical equation is.

Damn I wanna pound a brew at yale.
And I guess this means it pays to be a sophomore? I mean freshmen don't even have grades for a transcript when the app opens up...

I got that message the first few times I called but I just kept calling back at different times and eventually got a hold of them.

Really? I tried all day! Jeez, the main office has really dropped the ball.

Really? I tried all day! Jeez, the main office has really dropped the ball.

Yeah, though I think the main office is in DC. We just had a big snowstorm wednesday/thursday, so there was probably no one in the office haha

so I take it if my status is completed but the lors haven been received, then im not actually complete?
No site has viewed my app yet

:boom:

so I take it if my status is completed but the lors haven been received, then im not actually complete?
No site has viewed my app yet

:boom:

Hey! so yale has been reviewing my app for the past three weeks and I am still missing one LOR. UVA and Columbia just start looking at mine last week. I asked the lady why they are reviewing and she said that they can choose to look at your app even if your LORs are not in. as long as your transcripts are in! I have heard that some ppl got into the program without even having any LORs turned in...:confused:

Hey! so yale has been reviewing my app for the past three weeks and I am still missing one LOR. UVA and Columbia just start looking at mine last week. I asked the lady why they are reviewing and she said that they can choose to look at your app even if your LORs are not in. as long as your transcripts are in! I have heard that some ppl got into the program without even having any LORs turned in...:confused:

Yea i heard that too ;/ that's ridiculous in my opinion

The SMDEP rep. told me that reviewing without all the LORs vary by site. So if Yale might review your application without LORs, UCLA, Duke, or etc. might not.

The SMDEP rep. told me that reviewing without all the LORs vary by site. So if Yale might review your application without LORs, UCLA, Duke, or etc. might not.

yea but some people get accepted even tho SMDEP didn't receive the LOR's.

apparently UVA didnt recieve my transcript or my LORs but yet my application is complete, does that make sense? I called SMDEP and they said that my app is complete so they dont even know what Im talking about it but the rep at UVA said my name isint even on their list because my app isint complete.

This makes me so upset because its so close to the deadline and UVA is my top choice =[

Members don't see this ad :)
apparently UVA didnt recieve my transcript or my LORs but yet my application is complete, does that make sense? I called SMDEP and they said that my app is complete so they dont even know what Im talking about it but the rep at UVA said my name isint even on their list because my app isint complete.

This makes me so upset because its so close to the deadline and UVA is my top choice =[
Yea they are slacking and aren't on top of everything

You should definitely call SMDEP and get it cleared by the 31st. The people there are pretty understanding if you explain the whole situation to them.

why are you sad?

so a little over two weeks until they release decisions. who's nervous?

not really nervous, i applied at first with no intentions of getting accepted because i thought i applied late, but i really didn't, so if i do i will look forward to doing something this summer.

I'm nervous.. My transcripts barely made it there on Friday and there's 1 more LOR missing but the lady said I should be fine if they received it all by Feb 1st.

I'm nervous.. My transcripts barely made it there on Friday and there's 1 more LOR missing but the lady said I should be fine if they received it all by Feb 1st.

Yeah can't wait to jump through hoops for real med school. WOOOOO
:barf:

not really nervous, i applied at first with no intentions of getting accepted because i thought i applied late, but i really didn't, so if i do i will look forward to doing something this summer.

Same here. If I don't get in I'll just go to summer session at school and graduate even earlier.

why are you sad?

Not sad but nervous bc i feel like that last letter of recommendation (from Dean of the Biology Department) can really be the deciding factor. my other LOR is from a math teacher which is fine but i really want them to see that i did well in my science class too.

AND yess i am so nervous. I am hoping I get in but if i don't, that will give me a chance too ,like others said, to take knock out summer classes and graduate early :thumbup::D

Not sad but nervous bc i feel like that last letter of recommendation (from Dean of the Biology Department) can really be the deciding factor. my other LOR is from a math teacher which is fine but i really want them to see that i did well in my science class too.

AND yess i am so nervous. I am hoping I get in but if i don't, that will give me a chance too ,like others said, to take knock out summer classes and graduate early :thumbup::D

Yay for taking classes in the summer!

Yea if there is no acceptance for me i already have some shadowing and summer courses planned to keep my busy

I'm a little nervous. I just really want to go to Duke... :xf: it's crazy that we only have a little over two weeks till release.

If you could find research to do, I think that would be most helpful. This is more like a prep program for URM

So is that what everyone else recommends as well? Going to a research/shadow position in the summer rather than attending SMDEP if I get accepted?

So is that what everyone else recommends as well? Going to a research/shadow position in the summer rather than attending SMDEP if I get accepted?

IF you get accepted just go! doing research one summer isn't all that great on an app. Research for a year or two straight that's impressive. Besides I'm sure the program will have a lot of insight into exactly what med schools like and want. Plus don't you want to stay at a med school just to see if you'll like it?

Last edited:
Why does the top bar on the "View status" page say 95% even after submitting? Is this normal? It says my application was both submitted and completed, but it still is 95%...

Yea the last 5% should be whether you are accepted or not.

Yea the last 5% should be whether you are accepted or not.

really?? are you sure? because mine says 100% and my app is still in review. I had 95% awhile back but i was thinking it reached 100% bc finally all three schools are reviewing instead of just one....:scared:

really?? are you sure? because mine says 100% and my app is still in review. I had 95% awhile back but i was thinking it reached 100% bc finally all three schools are reviewing instead of just one....:scared:

Yea its fine. All you have to is wait for the school the make a decision.

UMDNJ is reviewing mine:) still waiting for duke and columbia!

yeah yale still hasnt done anything for me..maybe the harder schools review apps later because they get so many?

Duke rhymes with puke.

You shoulda picked yale. It rhymes with ale
:hardy:

Yale also rhymes with snail. Oh, hey what a coincidence! They haven't reviewed your app yet. :eek:

On a side note: I applied for Yale too. :laugh:

Yale also rhymes with snail. Oh, hey what a coincidence! They haven't reviewed your app yet. :eek:

On a side note: I applied for Yale too. :laugh:

Dude dont hate. If that was meant to be a personal attack on me then youre bein real immature. I was just poking fun but then you had to take it to a whole new level +pissed+ *Cries self to sleep*

Dude dont hate. If that was meant to be a personal attack on me then youre bein real immature. I was just poking fun but then you had to take it to a whole new level +pissed+ *Cries self to sleep*

I'm not hating, I was just poking fun like you too :laugh:

I'm not hating, I was just poking fun like you too :laugh:

Well i just checked my status....

Yale University School of Medicine -- Application in Review

:banana::banana::banana:

Not that Im going to get accepted but hey anything could happen.

Still waiting on UVA

nope not mine, still waiting on the other two sites-_-

You should definitely call SMDEP and get it cleared by the 31st. The people there are pretty understanding if you explain the whole situation to them.
I did call smdep, and everything worked out with UVA but Duke is still not reviewing my app, i emailed them but they havent emailed back so I dont even know anymore. I tried calling them but I was directed to the messaging system automatically.

Well.. it says my application was completed on 02/02/2011. The reps at SMDEP said I should be fine and know my admittance early since I got all my things in before 02/01/2011. I hope they come through and get me an admittance decision by 02/15/2011 even though my it says my app is completed on 02/02/2011. -_-