SMDEP 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! I applied to Duke, Columbia and Nebraska. My application was completed 1/08 even though I'm still waiting for one of my LORs .. my application for nebraska is already in review too :eek::eek:

I applied to Duke and Nebraska too!! When did your application get in review for Nebraska?:nailbiting:

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to Duke and Nebraska too!! When did your application get in review for Nebraska?:nailbiting:

I think it got reviewed a week ago... I'm so anxious right now since I still don't have my other LOR.. Does anyone know what happens if I don't get it in by Feb.1? Does that mean I have to wait for that March 1st announcement?

I think it got reviewed a week ago... I'm so anxious right now since I still don't have my other LOR.. Does anyone know what happens if I don't get it in by Feb.1? Does that mean I have to wait for that March 1st announcement?

No way lol! Your application is considered complete once you submit your online app and transcripts come in. No worries, you will get your decisions regardless at this point:xf:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
UPDATE!!! So I got a call from SMDEP Duke today and I was asked to give an update on my transcript from last semester. At least now I know for sure that my sites' status still in dashes "--" doesn't mean my application is not in review yet! Really can't wait till the Feb. 15th!:D

So anyone else got a call? :nailbiting:

Funny story, right as I was reading this post I got a phone call from Ontario, Canada...guess not :( haha

The phone call seems like a really good thing. Probably, means you are being seriously considered.

So anyone else got a call? :nailbiting:
I got a call from duke too this morning! I was so excited. They asked for the classes I'm taking this semester but I still have -- on the status of my application so I guess there just not updating

UPDATE!!! So I got a call from SMDEP Duke today and I was asked to give an update on my transcript from last semester. At least now I know for sure that my sites' status still in dashes "--" doesn't mean my application is not in review yet! Really can't wait till the Feb. 15th!:D

Luckyyyy!!! I finally got my other letter of recommendation.. Hopefully they'll review my application soon!

I just discovered this thread and wish I had been here a month before!

Can someone here give me some SMDEP advice?
My LOR emailed before 1/22/13, and transcripts mailed before 1/15/13, but I only just submitted my application yesterday. Does it take SMDEP 10 days to process from the day that the LOR and transcripts arrive or from the day that I submit my application? I was under the impression that "applications completed" meant clicking "submit" on the online application. But I guess I'm wrong!

I really need to know to determine if I am being considered for the first round or the late round. I don't want to have any hopes for February 15 if I am being considered for the late round.

Hey pre med people ! Thank god i finaly found a 2014 smdep thread. I submitted my app a few weeks ago and its finally complete ! i applied to UCLA, Yale, and Columbia sights

has anyone gotten an acceptance yet or do we have to wait for the date ?

I just discovered this thread and wish I had been here a month before!

Can someone here give me some SMDEP advice?
My LOR emailed before 1/22/13, and transcripts mailed before 1/15/13, but I only just submitted my application yesterday. Does it take SMDEP 10 days to process from the day that the LOR and transcripts arrive or from the day that I submit my application? I was under the impression that "applications completed" meant clicking "submit" on the online application. But I guess I'm wrong!

I really need to know to determine if I am being considered for the first round or the late round. I don't want to have any hopes for February 15 if I am being considered for the late round.
Hey series12345,
If they have already received them, they didn't have an application to link the transcripts and LORs. I also sent in my supporting documents before submitting the application. I HIGHLY recommend that you email SMDEP or call them (I emailed) right away so that they can link your transcripts and LOR to your application. They updated mine right away! Also idk about any of you... but I just checked the SMDEP website... and apparently the date has been moved from February 15 to February 28! (for people who submitted a complete app by Feb 1st) So we have to wait even more :(

Hey pre med people ! Thank god i finaly found a 2014 smdep thread. I submitted my app a few weeks ago and its finally complete ! i applied to UCLA, Yale, and Columbia sights

has anyone gotten an acceptance yet or do we have to wait for the date ?
Pretty sure we have to wait for 2/28 !! :/

I'm so excited! I applied in December and I've been checking everyday (like it's going to help lol). We have to wait longer now!! I hope we all get in! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Mehn.... This is so not fair!!! Why did they have to change the date????:mad: We were counting down to 2 weeks, Now we have to wait till the end of the month!! :bang:

i was counting down too ! This isn't fair, although this means the competition must be higher and a lot more applicants submitted then was expected

i was counting down too ! This isn't fair, although this means the competition must be higher and a lot more applicants submitted then was expected

Ikr??!! I hope they don't give us high blood pressure! lol.. Hopefully we all get in.. :thinking:

What?!?! The 28th ahhhhhhhhhhhh and I was so excited for the 15th. I agree this might mean more people are applying or more people have recently sent in applications.

25 more days left! The results will be all the more sweeter :soexcited:

Reactions: 1 users
Yep, I'll admit I was furious for a hot minute :punch:but I realized it isn't worth it to stress myself out and sulk. For those of us in review, it's likely a decision has already been made...just have to wait and take the 'good' that we can from such a sad situation+pity+.

Hey! I just finished my application on the 29th. I was wondering how long other people had to wait before they got the in review status. My application is marked as submitted and complete. Also I was told if we made the early deadline we would be getting an email about the change from the febuary 15th to 28th date. Did anyone get that email yet? Thanks!

Hey! I just finished my application on the 29th. I was wondering how long other people had to wait before they got the in review status. My application is marked as submitted and complete. Also I was told if we made the early deadline we would be getting an email about the change from the febuary 15th to 28th date. Did anyone get that email yet? Thanks!

Hi I just got that email right now... For me, it took my application probably around 3 weeks to have an in review status for one of my sites.. I don't think they really update that though

I got an email that confirms the date change. Hope everyone did get it?

I don't think its based on how long you'v submitted your application for it to be in review at the sites. I called the NPO office today and was told your sites having "--" does not necessarily mean your application is not in review yet.

I don't think its based on how long you'v submitted your application for it to be in review at the sites. I called the NPO office today and was told your sites having "--" does not necessarily mean your application is not in review yet.
Oh okay that makes sense thanks!
Also does the bar on the top of your check status pages says 95%? Mine does but I have everything done

Oh okay that makes sense thanks!
Also does the bar on the top of your check status pages says 95%? Mine does but I have everything done

Yes it does.. The lady I spoke with said it doesn't matter though, as long as it says application complete! :)

Edit: I mean yes it does say 95% :)

Last edited:
Hey guys! I did SMDEP at UVA last summer.

I just wanted to give those with GPA's in the 3.0 range hope because that was exactly my GPA last year and I got into a site! This goes to show that your academic stats are NOT all that matter. Extracurriculars, essays, and LOC make all the difference, especially for programs like SMDEP.

Also SMDEP is an INCREDIBLE opportunity in itself, so don't fret if you didn't get into Yale or Columbia, or the other BIG name schools because you'll get an amazing experience everywhere. They design the program so that, at least at UVA, you get exposed to different doctors in different fields, MD-Ph.D avenues, research etc. You also get practical skills needed to do better in school, and they even give you some career planning workshops. These are just a few of the things we did. It was great.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me! I check this site once every couple days or so. You can also PM me. Have fun guys and good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys! I did SMDEP at UVA last summer.

I just wanted to give those with GPA's in the 3.0 range hope because that was exactly my GPA last year and I got into a site! This goes to show that your academic stats are NOT all that matter. Extracurriculars, essays, and LOC make all the difference, especially for programs like SMDEP.

Also SMDEP is an INCREDIBLE opportunity in itself, so don't fret if you didn't get into Yale or Columbia, or the other BIG name schools because you'll get an amazing experience everywhere. They design the program so that, at least at UVA, you get exposed to different doctors in different fields, MD-Ph.D avenues, research etc. You also get practical skills needed to do better in school, and they even give you some career planning workshops. These are just a few of the things we did. It was great.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me! I check this site once every couple days or so. You can also PM me. Have fun guys and good luck!

Thank You!! :)

Application says 95% but completed on Feb 1st so i guess -- doesn't mean anything!!

I need advice!

As far as the recs go, I know one has to be from my major of study, but I JUST changed my major at the beginning of the semester, so I haven't really gotten to know my new major advisor. What can I do?? I am a freshman with a 4.0 and rigorous course load, involved on campus, no research done yet...but will I even have a chance at Nebraska with a recommendation from someone who hardly knows me? Help!

Any updates??[/quote
My application was completed on Feb 1st and today it changed to todays date weird wondering if that happened to anyone else

I need advice!

As far as the recs go, I know one has to be from my major of study, but I JUST changed my major at the beginning of the semester, so I haven't really gotten to know my new major advisor. What can I do?? I am a freshman with a 4.0 and rigorous course load, involved on campus, no research done yet...but will I even have a chance at Nebraska with a recommendation from someone who hardly knows me? Help!

Have you submitted your application??

I just checked my status right now.. and nothing's changed.. Did your transcript and LORs get in before Feb 1st?

To: 327

I need advice!

Hey, I just checked on the SMDEP website... and apparently you could have a letter of recommendation from high school science teacher, an employer in the medical field, or a TA. Also in the FAQ's it says that SMDEP would contact you if they need additional recommendations. If I were you, I would get recommendation letters from the professor/department that knows you. Don't stress so much about it having to be someone from your new major of study. If they accept recs from TAs or high school science teachers, I don't think you should have a problem. :)

Last edited:
I just checked my status right now.. and nothing's changed.. Did your transcript and LORs get in before Feb 1st?

To: 327
No..the deadline is march 1. I met with the rep from nebraska just last week.

No..the deadline is march 1. I met with the rep from nebraska just last week.

yeah... I know the deadline to submit your application and requirements is March 1. Your application completion date might have changed because they just got your transcript and LORs..
Besides, are we allowed to meet with representatives?

yeah... I know the deadline to submit your application and requirements is March 1. Your application completion date might have changed because they just got your transcript and LORs..
Besides, are we allowed to meet with representatives?
I go to University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and the nebraska rep came down and met with interested students on an individual basis

Hey guys!
How long did it take for your LORs and transcripts to go through? I submitted my application on February 1 and it's been over a week now and they only listed one LOR as Received. I sent in my transcripts and LORs way long before I submitted the application too. I know it's 7-10 days to process and for them to evaluate it but I'm asking how long did it take you? :)

It took 5 days for my transcript to arrive and get processed by the NPO. LORs should be processed immediately as they arrive via fax (on business days/NPO open hours). Give the NPO a call to check up on your documents.

Edit: Tomorrow will mark 18 days left!! :X3:

I go to University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and the nebraska rep came down and met with interested students on an individual basis

Oh wow... thats cool!!! does that mean u have an added advantage over we "non-Nebraskans"? lol. #jk

Hey guys!
How long did it take for your LORs and transcripts to go through? I submitted my application on February 1 and it's been over a week now and they only listed one LOR as Received. I sent in my transcripts and LORs way long before I submitted the application too. I know it's 7-10 days to process and for them to evaluate it but I'm asking how long did it take you? :)

I dont know exactly how long it took for mine to get processed. I sent them in sometimes around December and I submitted my application on January 16th. I called the NPO the next day and my transcript and 1 LOR was connected to my application. Also my application was completed on the 17th (that same day). The rule says it takes 10 business days to process, but since you sent them way long before and it's not showing on your status, I think you need to call the office. :)

It took 5 days for my transcript to arrive and get processed by the NPO. LORs should be processed immediately as they arrive via fax (on business days/NPO open hours). Give the NPO a call to check up on your documents.

Edit: Tomorrow will mark 18 days left!! :X3:

I really CANNOT wait!!! And I really hope we all get in!:watching:

Information for people who are yet to submit applications!
I just saw this at the bottom of my status page: All applications must be submitted by the deadline on April 26, 2014. Does this mean the deadline has been shifted from March 1st to April 26th? Or is this a typo?? Doesn't affect me though....:cool:

I think this thread has become sort of a smdep 2014 thread, in general haha.

I think this thread has become sort of a smdep 2014 thread, in general haha.

Lol.. yeah kind of.. I dont think there's gonna be an **official smdep 2014** thread.. what do you guys think?

I say we go the spontaneous route and jump forums exactly 7 days before the admission decisions for good luck. :luck:

Update!
My application just got in review for Nebraska!!! About time.. lol :smuggrin: