SMDEP 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just think, if they hadn't moved the decision date, we would've known :arghh: If I'm this bad at waiting now, med school apps are going to seriously suck

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just think, if they hadn't moved the decision date, we would've known :arghh: If I'm this bad at waiting now, med school apps are going to seriously suck

Same thing I've been thinking!!!! I'm not a very patient person either... 10 more days to go..:annoyed:

:shifty:I won't be sleeping from 26th-28th. That's a given. If y 'all care to join me we can have a SMDEP forum par - tay:biglove: !!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
:shifty:I won't be sleeping from 26th-28th. That's a given. If y 'all care to join me we can have a SMDEP forum par - tay:biglove: !!
Haha, sounds like a good idea. I know on the 27th at 11:59 pm, im going to be here on this thread!!!! Only 11 days!!!!!

Haha, sounds like a good idea. I know on the 27th at 11:59 pm, im going to be here on this thread!!!! Only 11 days!!!!!

Oh my gosh I'm so excited to find out!! I'll be here! I'll also probably be running around, maybe rolling on my floor, maybe screaming out of my window...

Hmmm, maybe I'll go for a walk at that time instead, to keep myself sane.

Hmmm, maybe I'll go for a walk at that time instead, to keep myself sane.[/quote]

I admire your strength and reserve. I salute to you :bow:,

I'm a first year. I just hope I get in somewhere. Are you guys applying for other summer programs too, aside from SMDEP?

I'm a first year. I just hope I get in somewhere. Are you guys applying for other summer programs too, aside from SMDEP?

Nope. I considered it but I'm swamped with school and work right now so juggling more applications was looking quite difficult. But I have some clinical volunteering lined up if, god forbid, things don't work out. Wbu?

Nope. I considered it but I'm swamped with school and work right now so juggling more applications was looking quite difficult. But I have some clinical volunteering lined up if, god forbid, things don't work out. Wbu?

Same here! I already lined up some ER volunteering as well! And if I eventually get in, I'd be coming back to do that for the rest of summer. :)

I love reading y'all's posts :biglove: It's making me even more excited for the results and hopefully if we all get in, we can meet each other in person :smuggrin:

Reactions: 4 users
So if you'd care to tell me, why won't you sleep on the 26th? lol:bucktooth:

Diary Entry for the night Feb. 26th:

My eyes won't close. The anticipation for the results is beginning to overwhelm me. I don't think I can make it one more day--will I get in? WHAT IF I don't get in because I misused a semicolon!? Yep, that's what happened I'm done.

I ponder that thought for 8 more hours and lose a day's worth of sleep...

Diary Entry for the night of Feb. 27th:
Just my luck, I have a Bio quiz tomorrow. Still nervous for the SMDEP results and probably won't sleep again tonight anyway. Should I study or read old SMDEP forums all night? Studying sounds about right.

5 minutes later...

I'ma just take a break looking up old forums, no biggie.

5 hours later...

Quite impressive that I've memorized SMDEP's Terms and Conditions. And WindDancer23 has the exact same stats as me and got into the same program sites I've applied to. Oh wait, &*^#! I didn't study for my Bio quiz...Ah well, the resultz come out tomorrow :rofl:

Reactions: 2 users

My eyes won't close. The anticipation for the results is beginning to overwhelm me. I don't think I can make it one more day--will I get in? WHAT IF I don't get in because I misused a semicolon!? Yep, that's what happened I'm done.

Just my luck, I have a Bio quiz tomorrow. Still nervous for the SMDEP results and probably won't sleep again tonight anyway. Should I study or read old SMDEP forums all night? Studying sounds about right.

5 minutes later...

5 hours later...

Quite impressive that I've memorized SMDEP's Terms and Conditions. And WindDancer23 has the exact same stats as me and got into the same program sites I've applied to. Oh wait, &*^#! I didn't study for my Bio quiz...Ah well, the resultz come out tomorrow :rofl:
That is exactly what is going to happen to me! XD Your essays must have been amazing if you used such emotion and suspense to describe your achievements lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you ever seen sad cat diary? That's the tone I read your entry in :p and now whenever I think about the process that's how I hear myself

I applied to those two sites as well but they not under review yet... I think they just not updating. :meh: Where's your third site?
My third site is University of Nebraska. And that is under review.

Is it bad that I looked at flight prices? I'm really excited to find, this suspense is killing me! I hope we all get in to our favorite sites (or any site really)

10 more days (if you count today) :nailbiting:

I'm just now getting acquainted with this site and how it works. I know this is probably a dumb question, but what should go into the "personal comments" essay?

As soon as you log in, on the left hand side of the page one of the blue links says "Download Help Text (PDF)." Click it and you'll get the pdf, go to the section about the personal essay guidelines and you'll see something like this:

Personal Comments

Content Guidelines:
This essay is required. Consider and write your Personal Comments carefully; many admissions committees place significant weight on what you write in this section. Some questions you might want to consider while drafting this essay are:
• Why are you interested in medicine or dentistry as a profession?
• What motivates you to learn more about medicine or dentistry?
• What do you want program sites to know about you that has not been disclosed in another part of the application?
In addition, you may wish to include such information as:
• What special hardships, challenges, or obstacles may have influenced your educational pursuits?
• What commentary on significant fluctuations in your academic record provides detail that is not explained elsewhere in your application?
The available space for Personal Comments can contain 5,300 characters, or approximately one full page.

Hope this is what you were looking for, good luck applying!

I chose Case Western, Duke, and UVA :D Case has been in review for awhile and earlier this week UVA went into review :) 13 more days until we find out!

I applied to Case Western too!

My heart rate goes crazy every time I read these posts and think about SMDEP. I can't imagine next Friday! Class the day before will be unbearable for sure. :laugh:

I applied to Case Western too!

My heart rate goes crazy every time I read these posts and think about SMDEP. I can't imagine next Friday! Class the day before will be unbearable for sure. :laugh:

Oh yay! We might meet each other if we both go there! Also every time there is a notification on this thread I get so happy know there are other people out there going through the same thing as me :D If we don't get decisions right at midnight (which I don't think we will) the absolute second I wake up I will be checking my status, I'll probably just sleep with my phone near my bed haha.

5 minutes later...

5 hours later...

OMG!!! I could just envision that!! :rolleyes: Lol.. I'll probably be doing the same thing! :bucktooth:

Oh yay! We might meet each other if we both go there! Also every time there is a notification on this thread I get so happy know there are other people out there going through the same thing as me :D If we don't get decisions right at midnight (which I don't think we will) the absolute second I wake up I will be checking my status, I'll probably just sleep with my phone near my bed haha.

That would be awesome! I hope we both get in. From what I've been reading online this is an awesome opportunity! Plus we have a really good chance because we applied really early.
Lol I'll be checking Friday every hour if it doesn't show us at midnight.

Hey everyone! Just now joining this forum. I applied to UT in Houston, Nebraska, and Washington! UT and Nebraska are in review but nothing from Washington yet. So nervous for next Friday!

Hey everyone! Just now joining this forum. I applied to UT in Houston, Nebraska, and Washington! UT and Nebraska are in review but nothing from Washington yet. So nervous for next Friday!

We all are nervous!! :welcome:

So how is everyones day been? I got my scores from my first ochem exam back, and its not bad, but its not good (but to me that means its bad). But at least the class is fun! What classes do y'all have right now?

So how is everyones day been? I got my scores from my first ochem exam back, and its not bad, but its not good (but to me that means its bad). But at least the class is fun! What classes do y'all have right now?

Well, you still have time to make it up.. lol. I'm taking 3 classes right now. Genetics, C++ and French II..! I had a C++ test a few hrs ago.. Didn't study, but it was pretty simple, so I'm good! :cool::D

So how is everyones day been? I got my scores from my first ochem exam back, and its not bad, but its not good (but to me that means its bad). But at least the class is fun! What classes do y'all have.

I just realized there will be a Costume Design course next term...!Don't know why I'm so stoked to take it as a premed. Shame on me:nono:

Good for you guys that you did decently on your exams! If this was the 1st ochem exam Space, it can only get better now that you know the prof's expectations.:)

Should we still jump forums? I'm starting to feel that endearment Shade of Green mentioned. I mean honestly, we have just about birthed and nursed this forum.

Last edited:
If y'all do jump forums let me know, I don't wanna get left behind! Friday tomorrow :D Oh how I love 4 day weeks!

I am taking Orgo 2, Physics 2, Genetics and an honors class. Yay for organic chemistry! xD

Hello everyone!! We officially have one week left!!! :nailbiting: I hope this week flies by. But between school and clubs, Ive been pretty busy this semester. I feel like I'm taking a lot more classes than most. My major is Biomedical Engineering (BME), so I'm taking Genetic Engineering, MATLAB programming, Research in BME, Biology Lab, Circuit Analysis, and Dynamics. Im taking Orgo next year. For those who are taking it now, how is it? Lastly, I applied to U of W, Yale, and Columbia, but only Yale says its in review. I finished my application Dec. 26 or 23rd (cant remember which). Is this the same with everyone?

Thanks for all the entertainment! GOOD LUCK TO ALL :luck: :D!

Hello everyone!! We officially have one week left!!! :nailbiting: I hope this week flies by. But between school and clubs, Ive been pretty busy this semester. I feel like I'm taking a lot more classes than most. My major is Biomedical Engineering (BME), so I'm taking Genetic Engineering, MATLAB programming, Research in BME, Biology Lab, Circuit Analysis, and Dynamics. Im taking Orgo next year. For those who are taking it now, how is it? Lastly, I applied to U of W, Yale, and Columbia, but only Yale says its in review. I finished my application Dec. 26 or 23rd (cant remember which). Is this the same with everyone?

Thanks for all the entertainment! GOOD LUCK TO ALL :luck: :D!
Yes! One week! So excited :) Orgo is not too bad, you just have to make sure you learn all the mechanisms and uderstand them. As with any class, practice is crucial. Whiteboards have become my new best friend! yeah my app was complete 1/03 and my status for Columbia never changed either. My other two sites were in review fairly quickly though o_O

Just a week left guys. I guess everyone is excited and nervous at the same time. Hopefully everyone gets accepted somewhere. For the new applicants, make sure that you send your transcripts first even if you have not completed your application yet. Application materials are not required to be sent in order, and your application is complete when they receive your application and your transcript. After that, you can send your recommendations. In addition, make sure that you ask your professor at least a week or two earlier as they might be busy with teaching or research. All in all, your personal statement and diversity essays are the most important part so make sure you spend enough time on them. Wish you guys all the best.

7 more daaaaayyyyyssss!!! OHMYGOSH Can't wait!!! Is anyone else not able to log in? My ID and password are autosaved thanks to chrome so I've only ever had to click log in but for some reason its not working. Even when I manually type it, it says its wrong but I know it isn't. Anyway I just had my first ever interview for a undergraduate research lab position, so I'm really hopeful and nervous, I really hope I did good!! More waiting to find out how that went :joyful: just gotta stay patient and positive!

7 more daaaaayyyyyssss!!! OHMYGOSH Can't wait!!! Is anyone else not able to log in? My ID and password are autosaved thanks to chrome so I've only ever had to click log in but for some reason its not working. Even when I manually type it, it says its wrong but I know it isn't. Anyway I just had my first ever interview for a undergraduate research lab position, so I'm really hopeful and nervous, I really hope I did good!! More waiting to find out how that went :joyful: just gotta stay patient and positive!

Yup, I can't log in either. :eyebrow:

About the logging in thing. I called today to ask :p They said it was a site issue and that they were working on fixing it.

About the logging in thing. I called today to ask :p They said it was a site issue and that they were working on fixing it.

Still can't log in!!!:confused: I hope this doesn't mean another change in decision date :nailbiting:...

6 Days left!!! And I stilll cant log in either. I hope this doesnt affect admission dates or anything in any way

Hopefully, by the time the glitch is fixed, all the schools would have updated everyone's status.

I believe the glitch has been fixed. I can finally log in :claps:

5 more days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello guys!!! I can't wait until Friday midnight.:rofl:

Just a week left guys. I guess everyone is excited and nervous at the same time. Hopefully everyone gets accepted somewhere. For the new applicants, make sure that you send your transcripts first even if you have not completed your application yet. Application materials are not required to be sent in order, and your application is complete when they receive your application and your transcript. After that, you can send your recommendations. In addition, make sure that you ask your professor at least a week or two earlier as they might be busy with teaching or research. All in all, your personal statement and diversity essays are the most important part so make sure you spend enough time on them. Wish you guys all the best.

Oh man, so everyday, I keep on checking my status but my transcripts aren't recorded yet. I really don't know what to do at this point! Does it really take this long? I sent it the end of January and it's been 3 weeks now. :/ Well, probably 2 weeks now since it had to be delivered but it's still been a pretty long time now.

Oh man, so everyday, I keep on checking my status but my transcripts aren't recorded yet. I really don't know what to do at this point! Does it really take this long? I sent it the end of January and it's been 3 weeks now. :/ Well, probably 2 weeks now since it had to be delivered but it's still been a pretty long time now.

Oh dear, call them Monday and PRAY that they had it in the system but forgot to update. If it turns out they didn't, you might not get a decision till April 1st. On the other hand if they forgot to update, if I were you I'd plead my case to them and make sure my app is sent to the sites ASAP for review->decisions the 28th.

Last edited: