SMDEP 2015 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

repenicedem

supremedstudent
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to SMDEP 2015 this November and I was wondering who else is applying this cycle?! If you have already participated in it share your story/stats!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll likely be applying as well. I've heard a lot of people say one of the most important things is to get your application in early. I'm a bit worried because as a freshman, I won't get my grades until the middle of December and next year I'll have too many credit hours to apply. :unsure:

Yeah definitely applying early is key. I wouldn't fret too much as I've heard that they don't place much stress on your grades. It's all about the essays and possibly your background information.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi i was wondering is it to late to submit my application? i have everything filled out but the essays is it to late? so i bother? whats my chances of still getting in? i know this is a lot of questions! I'm sorry lol

hi i was wondering is it to late to submit my application? i have everything filled out but the essays is it to late? so i bother? whats my chances of still getting in? i know this is a lot of questions! I'm sorry lol
Nope not too late. As long as you submit by February you will still be included with the first admission batch.

does anyone who applied to rutgers dental have the application in review yet??

I just did SMDEP at U of L last summer and looooved it!

Stats

GPA - 3.20/somewhat low. Have improved it now.
Essays - very strong if I do say so myself; I had help from a friend who did SMDEP at Duke
LORs - I believe they were good/strong, both from profs w/ Ph.D who know me well
I am hispanic
From an underrepresented area
ECs - Haven't done much clinical work but I am part of a lot of student volunteer organizations at my college. And I did volunteer work with my high school.

I applied to Louisville, UVA and Rutgers. Didn't get into UVa
Chose Louisville because of the 3 credit course

I am glad I did. It was amazing, I would not change the experience at all!! I miss it.

If you have a not so stellar GPA make sure your LORs and essays are strong. Just try to stand out in a unique way.

Reactions: 1 users

Stats

Essays - very strong if I do say so myself; I had help from a friend who did SMDEP at Duke
LORs - I believe they were good/strong, both from profs w/ Ph.D who know me well
I am hispanic
ECs - Haven't done much clinical work but I am part of a lot of student volunteer organizations at my college. And I did volunteer work with my high school.

I am glad I did. It was amazing, I would not change the experience at all!! I miss it.

If you have a not so stellar GPA make sure your LORs and essays are strong. Just try to stand out in a unique way.
I have a question, I completed my application but i still have not rutgers in review yet. I was wondering what the dash marks next to rutgers mean????

I have a question, I completed my application but i still have not rutgers in review yet. I was wondering what the dash marks next to rutgers mean????
I think it just means that your application hasn't been sent there yet. The apps are all being sent out February 1st if I remember correctly.

i applied to columbia ucla case they received my transcript, but my professors didn't submit yet the LOR
Case changed the status to Application in Review, but my application is not complete i still miss a letter of rec
is that normal ?

Stats

I am hispanic

so, was the 3 credits transferred to your school and did it have any effect on your gpa?

I fffffffffggggggghh. I just submitted my application this morning but all my stuff were sent 2 weeks ago would I still be considered for first cycle

I fffffffffggggggghh. I just submitted my application this morning but all my stuff were sent 2 weeks ago would I still be considered for first cycle
It depends on whether your application was completed by 02/01/15.

Hey, I am pretty sure that means they have not received it yet/it is still not in review.

so, was the 3 credits transferred to your school and did it have any effect on your gpa?

Sadly the course was not transferred to my school and has no effect on my school GPA. However when I applied to other programs (research), I sent out the transcript from Louisville (I got an A) plus my transcript from my school. If you add them together, the A definitely boosts my gpa a little. Plus I think it looks good. :)