SMDEP 2015 THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
also, would past participants recommended this program for current sophomores? i am taking organic chemistry right now and i am pretty much done with general bio.. will I still benefit from the program? and if so, how?

Members don't see this ad.

do you guys know if the letters have to be from a professor or can they be from a TA? i go to a really huge university there are like 600 people in my science classes so its hard to really get to know our professors
I think if the TA is acting as your instructor and knows you well it should be fine.

Hey everyone. I am applying to SMDEP this year, and I am confused about the admission notification process. Is it rolling? Are all admission notifications released at the same time depending on when you apply? I have heard of people getting denied right away, and others saying they needed to wait until february to hear back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone. I am applying to SMDEP this year, and I am confused about the admission notification process. Is it rolling? Are all admission notifications released at the same time depending on when you apply? I have heard of people getting denied right away, and others saying they needed to wait until february to hear back.
You'll find everything you need to know on the website. I believe there are two decision dates for people who apply by December and people who apply by March or some such. People say it's better to apply for the earlier cycle. I applied for the later one. They don't instantly send a decision when they get your material, there's specific dates decisions are released.

Reactions: 1 user
If you complete your application by Feb 1 you get a decision by Feb 15 and if you complete it after that and by March 1 you get a decision by April 1

Any tips for applying
Ideally know someone in the program you are applying to or have a strong research background that shows interest in the particular field of research in which you are applying.

Ideally know someone in the program you are applying to or have a strong research background that shows interest in the particular field of research in which you are applying.
SMDEP is not a research-based internship. Also, I am sure many successful applicants do not know anyone at their internship sites. Why do you believe these are valid tips?

I FINALLY finished my essays :soexcited:
Now I just have to request the LOR's and a copy of my transcripts tomorrow and I'm done with the application :D

Now I just have to request the LOR's and a copy of my transcripts tomorrow and I'm done with the application :D
Same here. I'm just having someone look over my essays and asking for my second LOR tomorrow

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here. I'm just having someone look over my essays and asking for my second LOR tomorrow
I'm just stuck on trying to figure out what my third program site should be, they all look so appealing!
To be honest I'm a little bit worried about my second LOR. I know who my first one will come from and that it will be a good letter, but I am completely up in the air about who I should ask for my second!

I have a question about how the LOR's work..
So when we enter in the recommender information, are they alerted by it? Should we ask for the LOR before entering the information or after? What happens after entering the information? Do we get some kind of request form or...?
This feels like a really silly set of questions, but I'm totally confused ahah

This program looks really cool...too bad I never heard about it prior to my junior year!

For the essays, is it 5300 characters with spacing or 5300 characters without space:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have a question about how the LOR's work..
So when we enter in the recommender information, are they alerted by it? Should we ask for the LOR before entering the information or after? What happens after entering the information? Do we get some kind of request form or...?
This feels like a really silly set of questions, but I'm totally confused ahah
I don't think they're alerting (I put in one of my recommender before asking her and she didn't get notified). After you enter the information, there's just a link provided next to name to print the LOR form in PDF

I'm just stuck on trying to figure out what my third program site should be, they all look so appealing!
To be honest I'm a little bit worried about my second LOR. I know who my first one will come from and that it will be a good letter, but I am completely up in the air about who I should ask for my second!
I'm on the same boat! I'm having a hard time picking two more sites. I'm contemplating between UW, Howard, Texas, and UVA. I also can't decide if I should ask my neuro or stat professor for my second LOR

I don't think they're alerting (I put in one of my recommender before asking her and she didn't get notified). After you enter the information, there's just a link provided next to name to print the LOR form in PDF
alright, thanks! I put my prof. in so hopefully he doesn't get alerted and get confused or something haha
I'm on the same boat! I'm having a hard time picking two more sites. I'm contemplating between UW, Howard, Texas, and UVA. I also can't decide if I should ask my neuro or stat professor for my second LOR
I think I'm going to end up going with Case, Nebraska, and Louisville although I'm really torn between Louisville, UW, and UVA! I'm down to two people for my second LOR too! Either my bio professor or my English professor. My English professor knows me slightly better, but she's really unorganized and I don't want to risk her forgetting or submitting it really late. I think I'll probably end up asking my bio professor.

Submitted my application today! Hopefully my school doesn't take too long with the transcripts and my professors are quick with their LORs.
We're supposed to hear back about acceptance in February, right? Or will we know before then?

I submitted my application on Monday! getting my Transcript sent this week as well.

Submitted my application today! Hopefully my school doesn't take too long with the transcripts and my professors are quick with their LORs.
We're supposed to hear back about acceptance in February, right? Or will we know before then?
Yeah we hear back on Feb 15th for those who submit their app before feb 1st

How would I know if my professor has submitted the letter of recommendation?

How would I know if my professor has submitted the letter of recommendation?
If you click "view application status" there should be a spot where you can see the people you put down as recommenders. If they haven't submitted their LORs yet then there will only be a dash. I think once they submit it it will change to the date of sumission or just say that it was submitted or something. I'm not sure since my professors haven't submitted my letters yet.

hmmm.. Well I haven't submitted my application

hmmm.. Well I haven't submitted my application
ohhh, then I'm not sure
I submitted mine the same day I asked for LORs so idk what it looks like when the app isn't submitted but the letters are, I'm sorry

before you submit the application go talk to your professor and ask him if he will accept to write it for u
i ask a chemistry professor and he refused as the semester almost over and when you submit it told your professor about it and give him your address and smdep pin

before you submit the application go talk to your professor and ask him if he will accept to write it for u
i ask a chemistry professor and he refused as the semester almost over and when you submit it told your professor about it and give him your address and smdep pin
I already did that. I just want to know when he submits it. Like will I recieve a confirmation or wat?

I already did that. I just want to know when he submits it. Like will I recieve a confirmation or wat?
It'll take its sweet time but the thing will eventually be shown as "received" in the application portal.

It'll take its sweet time but the thing will eventually be shown as "received" in the application portal.
do you know approximately how long it takes for the letters to be processed and the status to be changed to "received" after they have been received by the SMDEP office? Or is it just variable?

it will show on check my status
but they start reviewing application in january as they wait until receive your transcript

i ask a pre-health advisor and a professor to submit the LOR
it show received for the pre-health but the professor not yet...

I just have to finish up my essays and get my LORs! Good luck guys!

do you know approximately how long it takes for the letters to be processed and the status to be changed to "received" after they have been received by the SMDEP office? Or is it just variable?
Took a couple weeks after I sent it. Took a little longer for my transcript so I emailed them. It wasn't terribly long but 2 to 3 weeks is normal.

Can I submit my transcripts now, then send the transcripts again after I receive my fall grades.

Can I submit my transcripts now, then send the transcripts again after I receive my fall grades.
That's what I'm doing. I already sent my transcript and I'm planning on sending another one after the fall semester is over.

Am I the only one that has problem with this diversity essay???:writer:

Hello all!

I know this is a little late in the application season but I participated in SMDEP in 2014 as a sophomore (rising junior) if you have questions about the program or something you'd like to know more about than the information in the website ask away and I'll try and help you all out :)

Hello all!

I know this is a little late in the application season but I participated in SMDEP in 2014 as a sophomore (rising junior) if you have questions about the program or something you'd like to know more about than the information in the website ask away and I'll try and help you all out :)
Hey, so what schools did you apply to, which school accepted or rejected you and if you don't mind, what was your gpa when you applied. Thanks

Last edited: