SMDEP 2015 THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, so what schools did you apply to, which school accepted or rejected you and if you don't mind, what was your gpa when you applied. Thanks

At the time of my application I believe my GPA was around 3.83ish. I applied to Case Western, University of Virginia, and Duke. And I was rejected by Duke.

Members don't see this ad.

At the time of my application I believe my GPA was around 3.83ish. I applied to Case Western, University of Virginia, and Duke. And I was rejected by Duke.
Okay. Can you remember the month you submitted your application?

Okay. Can you remember the month you submitted your application?

I submitted mid January, I belive it was the 15th. I sent in my transcripts before that, during winter break and my letters were confirmed towards the end of January, right before the dealine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted mid January, I belive it was the 15th. I sent in my transcripts before that, during winter break and my letters were confirmed towards the end of January, right before the dealine.
Okay cool. Thanks:)

Hello all!

I know this is a little late in the application season but I participated in SMDEP in 2014 as a sophomore (rising junior) if you have questions about the program or something you'd like to know more about than the information in the website ask away and I'll try and help you all out :)
So did you go to Case or UVA? How was your experience?

So did you go to Case or UVA? How was your experience?

I decided on Case (although it was such a hard decision!). And I had a wonderful time and would recommend the program, and that specific site, to anyone. I am from the West Coast so I applied only to programs a significant ways away from home for the 'adventure' factor. I loved most the of the workshops and speakers that we had, and I especially loved the information that I received directly from Deans, current med students, and ADCOMs; there was a ton of great advice and motivation that I received during this. Clinical experiences were eye opening, and I think they really shaped where I want to go in the future. Additionally, I had sufficient free time where I got to explore the new city, hang out with the people I met, and I even picked up running. Of course there were downsides, we had review courses in subjects we were placed into and some of the professors (just like any class) weren't ideal. Additionally, for someone with a restricted diet the food was meh, but that is everywhere honestly. Towards the end I got really homesick, and I was having problems that back home that were stressing me out so in the end I was more than eager to head home, but looking back I don't regret going one bit and I would do it again if I could.

That's the most that I can think of for my experience right now, feel free to ask me more specific questions, and I'll be happy to answer them :)

I decided on Case (although it was such a hard decision!). And I had a wonderful time and would recommend the program, and that specific site, to anyone. I am from the West Coast so I applied only to programs a significant ways away from home for the 'adventure' factor. I loved most the of the workshops and speakers that we had, and I especially loved the information that I received directly from Deans, current med students, and ADCOMs; there was a ton of great advice and motivation that I received during this. Clinical experiences were eye opening, and I think they really shaped where I want to go in the future. Additionally, I had sufficient free time where I got to explore the new city, hang out with the people I met, and I even picked up running. Of course there were downsides, we had review courses in subjects we were placed into and some of the professors (just like any class) weren't ideal. Additionally, for someone with a restricted diet the food was meh, but that is everywhere honestly. Towards the end I got really homesick, and I was having problems that back home that were stressing me out so in the end I was more than eager to head home, but looking back I don't regret going one bit and I would do it again if I could.

That's the most that I can think of for my experience right now, feel free to ask me more specific questions, and I'll be happy to answer them :)
Case was one of the three sites I applied to, and it's actually my first choice! How would you say the stats of the students there generally were? Do you know if Case is one of the more competitive sites to gain acceptance to?

I recently got done with SMDEP at Columbia (2014). Amazing program, i can speak about it all day and everyday!
You can send me an email at [email protected]
Just make sure you put a [SUBJECT] saying SMDEP or some sort of that.
Goodluck !
Hey, I'm applying to Columbia. I have some questions. What month did you submit your application, what was your gpa and how was the program like. Thanks :)

I'm submitting my application in mid December! Is that late :oops: omg
I don't think so. iirc, the first deadline is february 1st, then there is a march 1st deadline after that to fill the rest of the seats. I think you're fine :D

Reactions: 1 user
Applied to UCLA, Duke and Howard. Rejected by all but Duke! 3.2gpa

Members don't see this ad :)
Case was one of the three sites I applied to, and it's actually my first choice! How would you say the stats of the students there generally were? Do you know if Case is one of the more competitive sites to gain acceptance to?

It's difficult to say how competitive this site is. I think its is a very 'fair' site. The coordinator of the program said he choose participants in categories of those who'd get into med school with no help, those who might need a little help, and those would have difficulty but motivation to do it. I consider that a large spectrum and anyone has a chance to be in any of those categories. I could tell that he looked at applications very holistically and not just numbers.

It's difficult to say how competitive this site is. I think its is a very 'fair' site. The coordinator of the program said he choose participants in categories of those who'd get into med school with no help, those who might need a little help, and those would have difficulty but motivation to do it. I consider that a large spectrum and anyone has a chance to be in any of those categories. I could tell that he looked at applications very holistically and not just numbers.
Thanks! You said you had to take classes that you were placed into, right? Did they have you take some sort of placement test when you arrived?

Thanks! You said you had to take classes that you were placed into, right? Did they have you take some sort of placement test when you arrived?
Yes there was a pre and post test (nothing to freak out about). The classes you are put into also depend on the classes on your transcript and you can also ask to move classes if you feel like you would benefit more somewhere else.

hey guys can someone explain to me how can your GPA affect your admission to SMDEP ???
and does having 2.3 will give me a chance i know that the minium requirement is 2.5
plzzz someone replyyyyyyyyy

hey guys can someone explain to me how can your GPA affect your admission to SMDEP ???
and does having 2.3 will give me a chance i know that the minium requirement is 2.5
plzzz someone replyyyyyyyyy
I feel like your GPA has little to do with it. I had a 4.0 and spoke to some people who had 2's. They purposely pick a wide range of people. You don't necessarily need a high GPA. I don't know if you can apply below the minimum though, you might want to call or email the national office to ask.

Hey guys! I'm applying to smdep this year as well too. Actually I already submitted my application to columbia,ucla, yale. hopefully i get into atleast one. this program has been my dream for the past year.

How long does it takes them to process your transcript because I submitted my transcript last week and my application still has "---"

Hey guys, did the lors' dash marks for anyone got changed to received already? and is it ok if they are sent by email rather than faxed?!

How long does it takes them to process your transcript because I submitted my transcript last week and my application still has "---"
I called before they told me the lors and transcripts get processed mid december, but some people have theirs checked as received already. I will definitely call and ask about that tomorrow! Was your transcript sent by email or faxed ??

The lor was faxed but the transcript was mailed

Last edited:
Hey, when did you submit your application.
I submitted in December, but I wasn't complete until after the January 15th deadline because of a recommendation.

Same problem here. I submitted my transcripts over two weeks ago and its still a dash there. I called them and they said will start processing transcript next week.

I submitted in December, but I wasn't complete until after the January 15th deadline because of a recommendation.
Okay. So how was the program. Did you receive stipend.

Same problem here. I submitted my transcripts over two weeks ago and its still a dash there. I called them and they said will start processing transcript next week.
Okay:happy:

I know that a lot of these say that it takes time for everything to be processed, but I submitted my application the first week it was open, and all three of my transcripts and my LoR's were sent out that same week too. However, it isn't showing anything has been processed on my application. Its been over a month....do they wait and start processing all of the transcripts at the same time?

I know that a lot of these say that it takes time for everything to be processed, but I submitted my application the first week it was open, and all three of my transcripts and my LoR's were sent out that same week too. However, it isn't showing anything has been processed on my application. Its been over a month....do they wait and start processing all of the transcripts at the same time?
I sincerely recommend that you call them. One of my LORs was lost before being received so I had to contact the writer to resend it. Also if you simply ask if they have received your forms and what the status is on them, it might be processed the next day. That is what happened with one of my transcripts, I called to ask about it, and not even a day later it was processed and the status updated on the website.

I sincerely recommend that you call them. One of my LORs was lost before being received so I had to contact the writer to resend it. Also if you simply ask if they have received your forms and what the status is on them, it might be processed the next day. That is what happened with one of my transcripts, I called to ask about it, and not even a day later it was processed and the status updated on the website.
you are lucky then, i called before asking about my lors, but they are not processed yet.

Hi everyone! I wanted to hear from past participants who were sophomore at the time of the application. Even though you took most of your intro science courses, did you find the program helpful? Also, I am applying to Columbia, UCLA, and UofW, so if any past participants can help me by telling me what the daily activities are, that would be really helpful. :)

Talked to an officer this morning, they will start adding transcripts next week. ._.

Hi everyone! I wanted to hear from past participants who were sophomore at the time of the application. Even though you took most of your intro science courses, did you find the program helpful? Also, I am applying to Columbia, UCLA, and UofW, so if any past participants can help me by telling me what the daily activities are, that would be really helpful. :)
Good luck on your application!! I was a sophomore when I applied and was a little worried too. I still found the program immensely helpful, and it is still the best part of my 'premed experience.' I would say that (for my program at least) the daily classes were a nice sized chunk of time, but there was still so much more! I found it even better being a sophomore because I had more time to focus on all that was offered instead of focusing on the new material being learned. The workshops, speakers, and excursions more than make up for the possibility of being bored in a class.

After slaving on that application for two weeks I was very disappointed that all it said when I finished was "Have a Nice day"

I think I'm going to apply to Case, Yale, and Duke. I still have requirements to fill though!

I'm applying to Columbia, Rutgers and Howard

I applied to Howard, UofW, and UofL.

Do you guys know if they are starting to process transcripts and LORs next week, or have they already started to process LORs? I'll probably call to check, but according to my application status page neither of my professors have submitted their LORs yet. I'll want to remind them before the semester ends on Friday just so they don't forget over break, but not if they've already done the letters and they just haven't been processed yet.

Do you guys know if they are starting to process transcripts and LORs next week, or have they already started to process LORs? I'll probably call to check, but according to my application status page neither of my professors have submitted their LORs yet. I'll want to remind them before the semester ends on Friday just so they don't forget over break, but not if they've already done the letters and they just haven't been processed yet.
Lady at the SMDEP office said they'll start processing transcript next week.

She didn't say, she just mentioned transcripts, but you never know.
I called today and it includes LORs
thank goodness, I don't have to worry about trying to figure out how to remind my professors for at least another week or two :p

I still haven't submitted it. I feel so behind >.< #FinalsWeek

Reactions: 1 users
hi i was wondering is it to late to submit my application? i have everything filled out but the essays is it to late? so i bother? whats my chances of still getting in? i know this is a lot of questions! I'm sorry lol

hi i was wondering is it to late to submit my application? i have everything filled out but the essays is it to late? so i bother? whats my chances of still getting in? i know this is a lot of questions! I'm sorry lol
It is not too late to apply. If you submit your application before February 1 you get your decision February 15. If you submit your application after February 1 you get your decision April 1. This is the link. http://smdep.org/apply-to-smdep/admission-guidelines/

It is not too late to apply. If you submit your application before February 1 you get your decision February 15. If you submit your application after February 1 you get your decision April 1. This is the link. http://smdep.org/apply-to-smdep/admission-guidelines/
Thank you.. Say I don't get in for the first date can I apply again for the second date? Also can I submit my transcript before my application? Is that a good idea? .... Also can some help me start of my essay I really need help!!!!

Thank you.. Say I don't get in for the first date can I apply again for the second date? Also can I submit my transcript before my application? Is that a good idea? .... Also can some help me start of my essay I really need help!!!!

If you don't get in for the first date unfortunately you have to wait next year to apply again(of course that is if you're a freshman this year). You can send in your transcript and LORs before you submit your application, that's what I did,