SMDEP 2015 THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They processed my LOR's and transcripts today! They will be doing it all this week. After logging in to check the status of them every day, they finally approved them. One step closer!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
They processed my LOR's and transcripts today! They will be doing it all this week. After logging in to check the status of them every day, they finally approved them. One step closer!
Same here! Still waiting for the LORs

Me too! They processed my transcripts. Still waiting for my LORs to be sent though

Members don't see this ad :)
Where and when did you guys apply?

I applied to ucla, columbia, and yale

i am a sophomore in college can i get a letter of recommendation from one of my highschool teacher ? she's was my marine science honor teacher?

also how do i sent my transcript do i go to my school and ask or can i do it online?

i know i just asked 3 questions lol but what do i send with the lor and who does my professor make it out to?

Hello everyone I really want to do smdep this summer but this being my first term I finished with a 2.0!! Really bad. I don't want to send in my transcript until the end of next term which will be March 18 passed the deadline to send in transcripts. What should I do? I really want to go this year and have that experience Ps I had family issues so I couldn't focus on school and I only was taking two classes non-science.
Thank you sorry it's long!

YAY! They finally processed stuff! However, I have a question. I am still waiting on one more LoR, one has already been received, but at the top is says my application was "completed" as of yesterday. Does this mean that they have sent my application out to the schools I applied to even though I am still waiting on a LoR? Thank you for your help!!

same here!

i am a sophomore in college can i get a letter of recommendation from one of my highschool teacher ? she's was my marine science honor teacher????
Why don't you call the program.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
also how do i sent my transcript do i go to my school and ask or can i do it online?
It depends on your school. For mine, I went to the registrar's office, I filled a form that asked for name, where to send the transcript to, how many needed and other questions. I gave them to smdep transcript form. They attached the smdep transcript form to my transcript and mailed it to smdep's offfice. The smdep transcript form enables them to quickly match your transcript to your application. That's the transcript form link http://smdep.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/otform-2015.pdf and All documents are electronically forwarded to the designated site(s) within 10 business days of receipt. I hope that answered your question.

same here! When I read previous posts, someone wrote that since you have your transcript and one LOR your application is kind of complete. But I'm not sure of this. I read in the last smdep forum someone got accepted with only one LOR and transcript. I don't think it's a problem.

YAY! They finally processed stuff! However, I have a question. I am still waiting on one more LoR, one has already been received, but at the top is says my application was "completed" as of yesterday. Does this mean that they have sent my application out to the schools I applied to even though I am still waiting on a LoR? Thank you for your help!!
same here! When I read previous posts, someone wrote that since you have your transcript and one LOR your application is kind of complete. But I'm not sure of this. I read in the last smdep forum someone got accepted with only one LOR and transcript. I don't think it's a problem.

Hi everyone! I'm applying this cycle and was wondering would it hurt my chances of getting accepted if I mentioned any past experience shadowing doctors in my personal statement? I'm an URM, but I have been involved in previous internships like SMDEP and it enhanced my desire to practice medicine. I know someone said "focus on making you're personal statement heartfelt" and I don't want to throw off my struggles with my experiences. If that makes any sense. Please help!!

I submitted my application November 7th. My LORs and transcripts were sent before thanksgiving, but my application was not complete until this morning after I called the SMDEP office. I applied to University of Louisville, Yale, and UCLA. Good luck everyone !

I'm still waiting on my LORs and transcript! My transcript wouldn't have been sent out till this last Wednesday at the earliest so I guess I'll still have to wait a week or so for that to get into SMDEP and be processed. I'm not sure about my LORs though. I'm really nervous to email my professors to remind them about it. I'm hoping that the SMDEP just hasn't gotten around to processing them yet :confused:

My application says "Under Review" for Yale !!!! oh my god...

Hi everyone! I'm applying this cycle and was wondering would it hurt my chances of getting accepted if I mentioned any past experience shadowing doctors in my personal statement? I'm an URM, but I have been involved in previous internships like SMDEP and it enhanced my desire to practice medicine. I know someone said "focus on making you're personal statement heartfelt" and I don't want to throw off my struggles with my experiences. If that makes any sense. Please help!!
I don't necessarily think so. I wrote about a similar thing I did in high school. In my opinion I think It just shows how passionate you are about medicine.

I want to ask if i mentioned i did shadowing at a dental office will this hurt my application ?

The first round of applications aren't due until February 1st correct?
I got really nervous and thought it was Jan. 15th haha

i know some people got accepted on january 15 last year

The first round of applications aren't due until February 1st correct?
I got really nervous and thought it was Jan. 15th haha
That's what I thought up until a couple days ago! Yeah, it's February 1st. I'm just concerned about how long it might take to process LORs and the transcript.. like if I get them in January 29th, will that be okay.. I'm calling the office tomorrow morning for sure.

Yale updated my status to "Application in Review" . I'm definitely nervous.

Yale updated my status to "Application in Review" . I'm definitely nervous.

I know me too! Hopefully we get in :/ wonder what some of the stats are for past Yale alumni. I mean if we applied early and have good personal statements we should be in pretty good standing right ?

I know me too! Hopefully we get in :/ wonder what some of the stats are for past Yale alumni. I mean if we applied early and have good personal statements we should be in pretty good standing right ?
I hope so!!!

I'm hoping to apply soon... though I'm also applying to various other programs and if SMDEP accepts you, they only give you two business days to confirm your acceptance, which worries me. x/ It's also the only program that would strictly require me to get a LoR from a science professor... blah, I wonder if it would just be better for me to apply to this next year as a sophomore. Idek, I just hope to secure *something* for the summer, haha.

My transcripts were processed today! I really didn't think my school would sent them through so fast. I guess I just need to remind my recommenders in the first couple days of the new year and I'll be all set :D

how often do smdep update their site?

my Rutgers application is under review :)

My UVA application is in review! :D But I still need to submit one more LOR. I guess as long as they have one LOR they start reviewing the apps:thinking:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
My UVA application is in review! :D But I still need to submit one more LOR. I guess as long as they have one LOR they start reviewing the apps:thinking:

yup same!!! I called them because they never received one of my LORs but they told me that since they had one and my transcripts that they would be sending my application out to my sites but that I should still try to get that other LOR.

I've finally got my first LOR in and my app is now in review at university of Louisville :D
Oddly enough, my application was in review before my first LOR came in, which I didn't think was possible

one month and 6 days left!

does anyone know the smdep number or where on the site I can find it?

Last edited:
I've finally got my first LOR in and my app is now in review at university of Louisville :D
Oddly enough, my application was in review before my first LOR came in, which I didn't think was possible
louisville is one of my sites !

Where and when did you guys apply?

I applied to ucla, columbia, and yale

I applied to Columbia, Howard, and Yale but now I'm kind of scared since I've heard those sites are extremely competitive :oops:

I noticed UCLA said they don't reimburse you for travels but can you still apply for the travel grant?
Also- they say you get "limited clinical experience". What does that mean? Are you spending most of your time in lectures or?

I noticed UCLA said they don't reimburse you for travels but can you still apply for the travel grant?
Also- they say you get "limited clinical experience". What does that mean? Are you spending most of your time in lectures or?
From people I know that have participated in the UCLA one, it has no clinical experience.

I applied to Columbia, Howard, and Yale but now I'm kind of scared since I've heard those sites are extremely competitive :oops:
Me too. I kind of regret applying to Yale because I feel like its a given I won't get into that one but I keep holding on to hope lol. As long as you applied early and demonstrated passion through your essays and extracurriculars you have a decent shot.