SMDEP 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Greetings all. I'm having an issue with submitting my application. Since I'm a first semester freshman, I don't have an established GPA. With that in mind, it requires that I enter a GPA before I can submit my application. Would I just have to wait until my transcript is out for me to submit my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings all. I'm having an issue with submitting my application. Since I'm a first semester freshman, I don't have an established GPA. With that in mind, it requires that I enter a GPA before I can submit my application. Would I just have to wait until my transcript is out for me to submit my application?
Yes, you have to wait.

Also, if I don't get accepted the first round, am I allowed to choose different schools and reapply for the March decision?

Yes, you have to wait.

Also, if I don't get accepted the first round, am I allowed to choose different schools and reapply for the March decision?
No. I honestly think that if you wrote good essays and submitted the material early along with other factors, you should have a good chance. I think if anything you would be put on the waiting list. Those who have been accepted have 2 business days to decide where they would like to participate. That then opens the door for those on the waiting list at certain schools to then be accepted. March should have a limited amount of spots open, so I don't think that you will be able to do that if you applied the first round. That is just my theory, but I am sure that you will be just fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just submitted my application, I am sending out my transcripts on Monday 11/16, and both of my advisors are sending their letters next week. Do you think that is early enough?
You are more than early...

Hi guys,
I'm done with my application but i have a question regarding the site preferances I want to really get into columbia but when i pick 3 sites it puts columbia at the bottom after I save an continue should i pick only comumbia to not take any risks. P.s i can't participate if i dont get into columbia because I can't travel or stay on dorm :(
Why can't you travel or stay in a dorm at another school? You should pick 3. I am not certain that the website will let you submit without 3. Also, you don't want to come up empty handed in February if you just pick one school. I am not sure if the order at which you pick the schools really matters.

Hi everyone! I'm a freshman and I don't have a GPA right now until later. If I submit my app with my midterm GPA, and send in my first semester transcript (with the updated GPA) will they consider the newest GPA?
I'm done with everything except for LOR's and submitting my final transcript (which has to be done until after finals) so I don't really know which date they review by - when I submit the app itself, or when literally all paperwork is submitted...
(Applying to Columbia, UWash, and still deciding between UTSD, UCLA, Howard, and Nebraska. Does anyone have any testimonies?)

Hi everyone! I'm a freshman and I don't have a GPA right now until later. If I submit my app with my midterm GPA, and send in my first semester transcript (with the updated GPA) will they consider the newest GPA?
I'm done with everything except for LOR's and submitting my final transcript (which has to be done until after finals) so I don't really know which date they review by - when I submit the app itself, or when literally all paperwork is submitted...
(Applying to Columbia, UWash, and still deciding between UTSD, UCLA, Howard, and Nebraska. Does anyone have any testimonies?)
Just call them on Monday.

I havent received my fonal grades for this semester yet (Im a first semester freshman), so i was waiting until next week to apply. Is that too late?? Applying to uva, duke, and rutgers (which are very popular choices)...

I havent received my fonal grades for this semester yet (Im a first semester freshman), so i was waiting until next week to apply. Is that too late?? Applying to uva, duke, and rutgers (which are very popular choices)...
No, of course not. You probably are not the only one that is having to do that. You are fine! If you have completed the application, then it would also be okay if you submit now and send in transcripts and LR's right after.

It seems that the general consensus here is that students should apply as early as possible.
"Early as possible" seems like a very broad description. Would completing and submitting the application before Jan. 1st be considered early?
I'm just trying to get a general idea.

I could have had everything completed and submitted already, but I was very into my classes this semester.

Also, I saw this:

"I applied to the first cycle (BEFORE December 23rd) because the spots fill up very quickly"

Where on the SMDEP site does it say anything about a Dec. 23rd deadline/cycle?

Has anyone else's transcripts been recieved? It's only showing my letters of rec being recieved. I sent them off a month ago.

No! Just one rec letter! It's weird!!!
They just accepted my transcript which I sent two weeks after my letters of recommendations. Even scarier I just went into review for all three sites.
New member btw

Members don't see this ad :)
They just accepted my transcript which I sent two weeks after my letters of recommendations. Even scarier I just went into review for all three sites.
New member btw
Nice! Good luck!! They just accepted one of my transcripts too!

Hey guys! I'm applying this year. I'm a sophomore. I have a quick question for those who have already submitted their application. When submitting the essay/personal statement as plain text, if the indentations don't come up, will it appear as is? Or will it look normal?

They just updated my app! In review for all three sites!!! Good luck guys!!!

Hey guys! I'm applying this year. I'm a sophomore. I have a quick question for those who have already submitted their application. When submitting the essay/personal statement as plain text, if the indentations don't come up, will it appear as is? Or will it look normal?
Good question! I had that same issue. I am not sure. I indented, but when I saved the essays it took the indentions away. Long story short, I left it the way it got saved lol!

Reactions: 1 user
It shows up as having nothing received, but I called and they said they had one transcript and one letter of rec...my prof said he sent his letter in, but they say they don't have it :l
But I haven't gone into review for anything yet...

This so annoying, I called yesterday and they said they don't know when my recs will be added like ugh noon.

WOOO ONE REC HAS BEEN ACCEPTED JUST WAITING ON THE OTHER ONE

Compared to everyone I feel like I'm applying late ..
I wouldn't sweat it too much. I know someone that applied at the end of December last year and got into 2 of the 3 sites she chose. I would aim to have everything in by the end of this month or the 1st week of Jan if you can. You will be fine.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

What do you guys think about the chances of being accepted into one of the programs?

3.35 GPA
Puerto Rican
By the time I apply I will have around 40 hrs of community service. I don't have any shadowing hours though.
After high school I worked for 5 years in sales and customer services.

I'm thinking to apply to Colombia, Ucla and Rutgers ( I won't apply to Yale because they told me not to do it because they don't have dental program. )

any suggestion?

I attended SMDEP in Houston in 2015. You've got a pretty good shot. I applied with stats not as good as this. When I applied:
GPA: 3.0
30 hours of shadowing and 0 hours of community service

Just do your best in terms of submitting your application early and writing strong essays and you should have a strong showing for the admissions committee. SMDEP is a great experience!!!

Reactions: 2 users
I attended SMDEP in Houston in 2015. You've got a pretty good shot. I applied with stats not as good as this. When I applied:
GPA: 3.0
30 hours of shadowing and 0 hours of community service

Just do your best in terms of submitting your application early and writing strong essays and you should have a strong showing for the admissions committee. SMDEP is a great experience!!!
Thanks man!!! Hopefully they choose me!! Texas would be a nice place to spend summer!

Your stats are way better than mine ): I have like no chance. My GPA on the transcript i sent was a 2.9, but now i got it up to a 3.5 (worked crazy hard to bring it up). Hopefully I can send the updated transcript in time before they make a decision. I just hope my diversity essay about being from Nigeria and adjusting to America will be good enough. I am so worried though!!! Y'all have a better chance!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Your stats are way better than mine ): I have like no chance. My GPA on the transcript i sent was a 2.9, but now i got it up to a 3.5 (worked crazy hard to bring it up). Hopefully I can send the updated transcript in time before they make a decision. I just hope my diversity essay about being from Nigeria and adjusting to America will be good enough. I am so worried though!!! Y'all have a better chance!!!!
You applied early so you are fine! Where did you apply?

Last edited:
You apply early so you are fine! Where did you apply?
I applied to UCLA, Howard, and UT Health in Houston. Maybe being from ut austin will help LMFAO with the houston school

I applied to UCLA, Howard, and UT Health in Houston. Maybe being from ut austin will help LMFAO with the houston school
Yes!! That will help you a lot! I also applied to UCLA and UT. I just need one acceptance :xf:

Well I submitted my application today! I applied to Columbia, UT, and Howard for dental.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys. Where do you see "in review"? Mine just says submitted. I submitted it on 11/27. I have only 1 rec in and no transcript yet. Does this hurt my chances
When you log in, "Application Status" should be on the left hand side under your ID number, classification, and etc. Click on "view details" and it will redirect you to a screen that shows what they have received and whether or not you are in review. I didn't go into review until my transcripts were updated/recieved.

I submitted all my stuff the second week of the app being open. And I still haven't been reviewed yet, and it shows nothing as having been received.

I submitted all my stuff the second week of the app being open. And I still haven't been reviewed yet, and it shows nothing as having been received.
I think you should give them a call. That's a little ridiculous.

Hi guys!!! I have a question :( on the diversity essay what did you guys write about?? I am clueless. I want to submit my application today! Please help anyone

Hi guys!!! I have a question :( on the diversity essay what did you guys write about?? I am clueless. I want to submit my application today! Please help anyone
I just wrote about coming from Nigeria and trying to close the gap between american culture and Nigerian culture and the struggles I had fitting in. Then I tied that to how I understood the importance of diversity through my own struggles. Also after 5 years lol my second rec has been received so now I can say my application is completely finished!!!

hey ya'll !
Im super nervous I submitted last week & they already had my transcript so just waiting on LOR from my chem professor & advisor.
This is basically my last chance bc I have so many credits at my uni! Good luck :)

SO I just sent my application in !! :) I applied to Rutgers, UCLA, & Case Western

Hello SMDEP applicants! I'm a new member to the forum and just wanted to post some encouragement during the application process. To all those who have submitted your apps, congrats and good luck! To those who still getting there, hang in there! Have a great New Year and God bless!

Hey guys, I did the UNMC SMDEP last summer, and there were a lot of students who were not URM with me in the program. Honestly its a great experience and I encourage everyone to apply.
Also, I'm an ambassador so if you have any questions about the program or the application process don't hesitate to send me a message!
Hey ! so if they have 1 LOR & transcript can the schools already start reviewing you ? I'm at this point already !

Hi Guys,
I completed SMDEP this past summer at the Yale School of Medicine.
Let me know if you need any help, I was in your shoes last year and I know you all must have a lot of questions lol
how do you know when your application is "in review" for the schools. all 3 of my boxes say "in review" in yellow but had not submitted my LOR. Now that it has been linked... it still says the same thing. Does that mean it was interview since I submitted ?

It still shows as NOTHING received after 5 weeks... I'm calling them.

@henicouture if it says "in review" then you're fine

hopefully when I finish my application everything will go smoothly.

3.02 Science 3.589 overall
Worried about my science gpa and the fact that im a nursing student pursuing med which doesn't seem like the typical candidate

hopefully when I finish my application everything will go smoothly.

3.02 Science 3.589 overall
Worried about my science gpa and the fact that im a nursing student pursuing med which doesn't seem like the typical candidate
I am also a nursing student but want to be a psych nurse practitioner before I think about med school

how do you know when your application is "in review" for the schools. all 3 of my boxes say "in review" in yellow but had not submitted my LOR. Now that it has been linked... it still says the same thing. Does that mean it was interview since I submitted ?
It means that the sites you listed have received your application. It will continue to say "In review" until the decision date where it will change to either "Accepted", "Not Accepted", or "Wait Listed"

Is it worth applying now or is it too late? I have a 3.1 GPA but I'm white and from a decent area in MA.