SMDEP 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What phone number are you supposed to put down for the activities?? Most of my activities contact us through email and I have no idea what the phone number is.

Members don't see this ad.

What is srop?

It is a summer research program that pays usually from 3k-5k, and you work with a faculty mentor in whatever biomedical, health related program you want

Reactions: 1 user
I have a question for everyone.

How long are your letters of recommendation and are they essential to the application process?

Members don't see this ad :)

How long are your letters of recommendation and are they essential to the application process?
There is a required letter of recommendation form on the website, and yes you do need 2 letters to be considered as an applicant. Otherwise, you would have an incomplete application.

There is a required letter of recommendation form on the website, and yes you do need 2 letters to be considered as an applicant. Otherwise, you would have an incomplete application.
False. It is not required, it is optional. They can send that in AND/OR write their own letter. Also, you do not need your letters in technically until the final deadline in march

Reactions: 1 users

Also, you're not supposed to know how long it is. You're supposed to waive your right to see it so that it makes the letter more trustworthy

@AlphaBeta<3 ok so i can be accepted before my professors send in my rec?
Yes, to my understanding. I've seen people who were accepted before their letters were in. I've seen people who had only 1 letter and were accepted. As long as yu have both letters in by the final deadline, you're fine

We kinda never know how long they are, but I trusted my advisor to write the best he could :p

Yes, to my understanding. I've seen people who were accepted before their letters were in. I've seen people who had only 1 letter and were accepted. As long as yu have both letters in by the final deadline, you're fine

Wow that's really incredible. I guess they look at your essays/GPA/extracurriculars the most and the LORs are just something they look after those things.

I submitted 1 LOR, but I'm planning to submit the other LOR in mid to late february just because my professor is busy.

Hi all,

My application is now is full review so I guess all I have to do is wait till Monday, February 15. I submitted two transcripts (one from dual enrollment from my community college back when I was still in high school and the other is from my first term at my local university) as well as two references.

My stats:

Plenty of EC's/Volunteering
Pretty good personal statement I think
Around 50-60 Shadowing hrs
Dual Enrollment GPA: 3.87
University GPA: 4.0
2nd generation
Ethnicity: Black

The sites I applied:

Columbia University Colleges of Physicians and Surgeons & Dental Medicine
The University of Texas Medical School at Houston
University of Louisville Schools of Medicine and Dentistry

Oh and I am interested in dentistry. I plan on choosing either Louisville (because they issue credit) or Houston if I get in. I plan on doing another program called LEAD in San Antonio so unfortunately the dates conflict so I can't choose Columbia.

Good luck to everyone!
HEY! I did LEAD 1 last summer in SA & it was a great experience ! We got to really interact with the Dean of Admissions !!

Anyone here apply to Yale?

Seems like most of you guys are going for Columbia.

Hey guys,

How long did it take for your recommendations to get processed?

What does "In Review" actually mean? They have been received by the School??

Also, if the sites decide to accept someone before Feb 15. will it show or do we definitely have to wait until then?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

How long did it take for your recommendations to get processed?

What does "In Review" actually mean? They have been received by the School??

Also, if the sites decide to accept someone before Feb 15. will it show or do we definitely have to wait until then?

My recommendations processed within 10 days of being submitted via fax. I made sure my professors submitted them. Under the FAQ section, it states that they process them within 10 days of receiving them.

In review means that the schools have received your application and will be reviewing it.

You will have to wait until Feb. 15, like everyone else, to get a decision. Sites may contact you before then to ask what classes you are currently enrolled in. From my understanding they'll do this if they are considering you and you lack certain science classes on your transcript.

So my transcripts have finally been received. My LORs were sent in since December and they have yet to be processed. But other than that all my sites went into review. I just hope decisions aren't made solely on just my transcripts and application. :nailbiting:

Woah!! We need to talk!! I am applying to the early acceptance program at San Antonio called DEAP Feb.15 have u heard of it? Also are u doing Lead 2??
If i get accepted to SMDEP I will probably not do LEAD but definitely after junior year. I couldn't do deal bc I had so many credit hours (over 30) but its also a VERY good thing for you to apply to.

So my transcripts have finally been received. My LORs were sent in since December and they have yet to be processed. But other than that all my sites went into review. I just hope decisions aren't made solely on just my transcripts and application. :nailbiting:
you should call...sometimes theyre not link....

Hi all,

My application is now is full review so I guess all I have to do is wait till Monday, February 15. I submitted two transcripts (one from dual enrollment from my community college back when I was still in high school and the other is from my first term at my local university) as well as two references.

My stats:

Plenty of EC's/Volunteering
Pretty good personal statement I think
Around 50-60 Shadowing hrs
Dual Enrollment GPA: 3.87
University GPA: 4.0
2nd generation
Ethnicity: Black

The sites I applied:

Columbia University Colleges of Physicians and Surgeons & Dental Medicine
The University of Texas Medical School at Houston
University of Louisville Schools of Medicine and Dentistry

Oh and I am interested in dentistry. I plan on choosing either Louisville (because they issue credit) or Houston if I get in. I plan on doing another program called LEAD in San Antonio so unfortunately the dates conflict so I can't choose Columbia.

Good luck to everyone!
You're getting into all 3 lol
Meanwhile, I'm here hoping I get into one xD

you should call...sometimes theyre not link....
That's the thing. I've already called twice. They said they have received both and it should be processed. So I guess it is processed and has yet to be updated through the site.

Yes and yes. Also since you're community college, you should apply to UCLA. They accept strictly kids from CC

I would like to note that while they said that they do mainly accept CC student, their website states that they accept a number of 4-year students as well.

Cheers :)

I would like to note that while they said that they do mainly accept CC student, their website states that they accept a number of 4-year students as well.

Cheers :)
That's true, but it's like applying to a site that mainly accepts URMs as a non-minority. On top of the site only having 40-80 spots, youre also competing with the people they are actively looking to recruit. And idk about this program specifically, but I know California schools generally take cali students.
There's another site that mainly accepts people from its state/2 states that border it. I forgot which one it was. That's why I didn't apply to either one, it seemed like a waste

Anyone else have rec letters that still say "not received"? I had atleast 1 of them sent a week before the holidays.

Lol offices are closed because of snow.

I am kind of late submitting my application... I submitted it 01/28/2016 and I got my professors to submit my letter of recommendation and my transcript last month... I just found out that one of my professor did not send out her letter yet. So I do not believe I will make it to the early deadline... Some people are getting accepted without both of their recommendation letter? Only one of my letter of recommendation letter had been submitted... I hope this is true... :(

I am from Texas btw!

Last edited:
I'm from California

I am kind of late submitting my application... I submitted it 01/23/2016 and I got my professors to submit my letter of recommendation and my transcript last month... I just found out that one of my professor did not send out her letter yet. So I do not believe I will make it to the early deadline... Some people are getting accepted without both of their recommendation letter? Only one of my letter of recommendation letter had been submitted... I hope this is true... :(

I am from Texas btw!

As long as 1 is in, you'll be fine. The good thing is that you submitted your application already.

My application is in review!!! I called them to make sure and the SMDEP people said as long as your transcript is in, it will be forwarded to the schools. :D

My application is in review!!! I called them to make sure and the SMDEP people said as long as your transcript is in, it will be forwarded to the schools. :D

Wow okay that's good to hear. Thanks for the info!

Does anyone know how many students are accepted to each location? I'm mainly concerned with Columbia, UCLA, and University of Washington. Thanks!

Does anyone know how many students are accepted to each location? I'm mainly concerned with Columbia, UCLA, and University of Washington. Thanks!

Someone who called them last year said 80 students for each location. (60 medical/20 dentals)

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
So my references stated they definitely sent their rec but it still says not received... How does the office know which rec letter belongs to whom?

All my sites are in review :soexcited:Just in case anyone is worried about "late" first cycle apps and wants a timeline...

-requested a transcript: 1/11/16
-transcript sent 1/12/16 (was lucky my school sent it quickly)
-application submitted: 1/15/16
-first letter of recommendation: received 1/19/16
-transcript received/processed 1/20/16 (8 days after it was sent)
-application in review: 1/20/16
-second letter of recommendation: has not been sent yet but should be by 1/22/16

Sites will start looking at your application even one recommendation is missing!:nod:
when did your reference submit the rec? how long did it take for the office to process the letter of rec?

So my references stated they definitely sent their rec but it still says not received... How does the office know which rec letter belongs to whom?

You can call them and check in with them! Last time I spoke to them, they told me they had a list of documents they received but have not attached to an application. Did you submit your application?

when did your reference submit the rec? how long did it take for the office to process the letter of rec?

My first recommendation was sent the same day it was received. Probably because she sent it as soon as the SMDEP office opened. My second recommendation still hasnt been sent but definitely later today or tomorrow (ive been on my advisors case since the deadline is Monday). The way they update a person's application status varies a lot.

You can call them and check in with them! Last time I spoke to them, they told me they had a list of documents they received but have not attached to an application. Did you submit your application?
I've spoken with them twice so far and they never share any information! They only tell me what I already know which is what my status is online which I have access to so I've decided it isn't worth calling anymore. Just gonna wait and see if it's processed b/c I know they have to have it (my refs sent it twice- by fax AND email). Thanks for sharing that tidbit tho! If they have a list of docs waiting to be processed, then that makes more sense for my situation.

the date getting closer & I'm getting SUPER NERVOUS... I think the worst thing that can happen is to be waitlisted, bc I want to study abroad if I don't get in! my summer-life will be uncertain xD

the date getting closer & I'm getting SUPER NERVOUS... I think the worst thing that can happen is to be waitlisted, bc I want to study abroad if I don't get in! my summer-life will be uncertain xD

Don't worry haha you'll get in somewhere.

Just curious, did you guys talk a lot about yourselves in the diversity essay? For me, I feel as if I talked a lot about myself in my personal essay, but not so much in the diversity essay.

I requested my transcripts the beginning of Jan & they still haven't received it