SMDEP 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I requested my transcripts the beginning of Jan & they still haven't received it

It can take up to 10 business days to process once it arrives. That kind of sucks because if isn't processed by February 1st, I think you'll have to wait until the April 1st deadline. That's probably what's going to happen to me as my transcript was sent in the middle of January.

Members don't see this ad.

It can take up to 10 business days to process once it arrives. That kind of sucks because if isn't processed by February 1st, I think you'll have to wait until the April 1st deadline. That's probably what's going to happen to me as my transcript was sent in the middle of January.
Ughhh! Keeping my fingers crossed.. If I have to wait until April then so be it

Reactions: 1 user
Ughhh! Keeping my fingers crossed.. If I have to wait until April then so be it

I actually don't think that is the case because the application says that the files have to be postmarked by then not PROCESSED by then. Postmarked means SENT by then. So it should be fine. Maybe check in with your school.

Members don't see this ad :)
when did your reference submit the rec? how long did it take for the office to process the letter of rec?

For me, it took 5 days for the rec letter through email to be processed and 3 days for the one through fax to be processed. They were sent recently too.

I actually don't think that is the case because the application says that the files have to be postmarked by then not PROCESSED by then. Postmarked means SENT by then. So it should be fine. Maybe check in with your school.

I called the general SMDEP number and they said the transcript has to be processed by February 1st for them to look at it.

I called the general SMDEP number and they said the transcript has to be processed by February 1st for them to look at it.
I feel like its always that one lady that answers the phone, but if the website says something else...you have a case!

Reactions: 1 users
Should I hurry and rush my essays just to meet the early deadline or should I take my time on them?

Should I hurry and rush my essays just to meet the early deadline or should I take my time on them?

It depends if your transcripts are processed already or not.

HEY Y'ALL. Super excited/anxious for the decisions to come out!

I submitted my application 1/29/2016. (super late lol)
THEN I called the SMDEP number and asked a few questions regarding my application. She processed and forwarded my transcripts and LoRs, but told me that it might take up to 10 business days for the materials to be processed.
1/30/2016, all my LoRs have been received.
1/31/2016, my transcript was received and therefore, my application is complete. All my sites are in review ATM. :clap:

So, if some of y'all turned in your transcripts and LoRs before finishing your application, call the SMDEP number after submitting to follow up with the docs.

GOOD LUCK TO Y'ALL.

HEY Y'ALL. Super excited/anxious for the decisions to come out!

I submitted my application 1/29/2016. (super late lol)
THEN I called the SMDEP number and asked a few questions regarding my application. She processed and forwarded my transcripts and LoRs, but told me that it might take up to 10 business days for the materials to be processed.
1/30/2016, all my LoRs have been received.
1/31/2016, my transcript was received and therefore, my application is complete. All my sites are in review ATM. :clap:

So, if some of y'all turned in your transcripts and LoRs before finishing your application, call the SMDEP number after submitting to follow up with the docs.

GOOD LUCK TO Y'ALL.
HAHA you got lucky!!! but actually I think they're working extra rn...my 2nd LOR was finally processed :D let the 15 day wait begin

Let the countdown begin!!! :soexcited: I have this weird feeling that I will be rejected from all 3 :bang:

What's the value of one of the LOR being from a dentist?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
My transcripts haven't been received -.- I feel like it got lost during the snow storm or something. Can I resend it if it's still not received?

My transcripts haven't been received -.- I feel like it got lost during the snow storm or something. Can I resend it if it's still not received?

I sent my transcript in twice because I was afraid that one of them got lost in the mail. The people at the SMDEP office said that it would be okay to do that! So yes, you can send it in again. Sometimes though, they have all of your materials there in the office, but they have not matched them up to your application yet. Fingers crossed for you!!

Does anyone know what time on February 15 the decisions come out??

Omg!!!! My transcripts are in!!!! Woohooo & at 12am they will let us know I think ❤️❤️ Good luck to you all!

I'm really obsessive about things like this. waiting for application decisions. I just hope I get in, I need to save my tears for the MCAT next year

I'm really obsessive about things like this. waiting for application decisions. I just hope I get in, I need to save my tears for the MCAT next year
I feel you but for the DAT...! I won't even enjoy valentines day

When are you guys taking the dat?

Hey guys I'm Atarrah! Is anyone else applying to Yale, Rutgers, and Howard? :)

Dental: Rutgers, UCLA, & Case

Just a quick notice from SMDEP...
Sadly, they still have not received my second LOR but it might be in process. But, they told me that even though its after the first deadline, they will forward any missing LORs to the sites you applied to as soon as they finish processing it which is great news at least for me lol.

Pre-Med: Duke, Case, Washington. :)

Maybe it was a bad idea to read old threads. URMs that applied early and had great GPAs were denied..mostly to the schools I applied to.
Last year, I applied late the second round to Columbia, Yale, Rutgers. Yale was full, rejected Columbia, wait listed (then denied) at Rutgers. Then case reached out to me saying they wanted to view my app, and I accepted immediately, but they were already full!
Now this is my last chance, and after reading how all those people with GPAS way higher than me got denied, I'm feeling so anxious. I applied to Yale, Columbia, and Howard this time :(.

Maybe it was a bad idea to read old threads. URMs that applied early and had great GPAs were denied..mostly to the schools I applied to.
Last year, I applied late the second round to Columbia, Yale, Rutgers. Yale was full, rejected Columbia, wait listed (then denied) at Rutgers. Then case reached out to me saying they wanted to view my app, and I accepted immediately, but they were already full!
Now this is my last chance, and after reading how all those people with GPAS way higher than me got denied, I'm feeling so anxious. I applied to Yale, Columbia, and Howard this time :(.

I am pretty sure they take other things into consideration other than GPA. I think the essays weigh a lot in the application process! :thinking:

I am pretty sure they take other things into consideration other than GPA. I think the essays weigh a lot in the application process! :thinking:
My essays are bomb af, but my GPA is **** lol. My EC's are really good too

Which sites mainly take community college students?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I applied to Duke, Rutgers, and UVA!
My gpa is decent, I feel like my recs were pretty good (although they STILL havent processed the second one), and my extracurriculars are good too. The only thing im really worried about is thevessay portion, because Im realllyy not a good writer, and I know that weighs in hevaily :dead:

Was just accepted to Rutgers Medical!

I thought they don't send out the acceptance status until February 15?

I didnt think so either! I got an email today asking for an unofficial transcript for the spring semester and how I was doing in my classes, followed by " Congratulations! I just admitted you".

Reactions: 2 users

I didnt think so either! I got an email today asking for an unofficial transcript for the spring semester and how I was doing in my classes, followed by " Congratulations! I just admitted you".
Congratulations!!!!! :soexcited:

Wow! @Leecy77 That must be such a good feeling! Are you going there or are you going to wait and see what the other sites say?

Can you post your stats leecy?

Thanks everyone! I'm honestly really surprised!

Freshman majoring in Neuroscience, minoring in Leadership & Social Change
Female, mixed with Black and White (with Puerto Rican heritage)
Suburban area, not economically disadvantaged at all.
GPA-3.5, science GPA-3.52
Rec's-probably pretty decent. My second rec. sent hers to the wrong email, so just resent it two days ago
Essays-the first was pretty good, but my diversity one was absolutely average at best. I got frustrated and just typed it up in 30 minutes.
EC's-I am prettyy involved. Student conduct, a couple advisory boards, leadership community, assisting in research, etc.

Overall my essays weren't that great, but my extracurriculars and letters of rec. (the one they received anyway) were pretty good!
Also, I applied to Rutgers, Duke, and UVA. I haven't fully decided on Rutgers as the other two are much closer to home, but Im so grateful to be offered a spot at all!

Welp, 11 days left now lol. I might cry if I don't get in xD but I applied to 2 other things, so that'll give me hope til March