SMDEP plz someone reply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UOP123321

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is the second i wrote the same thread!!
Hi fellas, I'm planning to apply to SMDEP for the dental one i have couples of questions, and hope someone helps me.

I know i need to write two essays one about diversity, and another one is a personal statement. I don't understand, which topic should i wrote about can someone explain to me more about both of them, and how can i start the essay, and what the admission commit want to see when you read your essay. And how many characters for each essay

i'm still an incoming freshman, and my professor only know my name, but no one know me personalty. How can i ask them for a letter of recommendation ?

and which programs should i apply to. I mean i know university of Washington dental school is in-state school, so if i apply my chances will be slim to none as i'm not WA resident ? am i right ?

Members don't see this ad.

Diversity: Diversity can exist in many ways: ethnic background, obstacles, culture, religion, political views, language, socioeconomic status etc. Diversity just means that each individual is unique in his/her origin, experience, and values . I think diversity is about embracing your own differences and accepting the differences of others. As a dentist, you will treat people of all kinds and from all different backgrounds. No one can tell you specifically what to write about, because we don't know your experience with diversity and what makes you diverse. But i hope what I wrote above can help you get started.

In regards to the personal statement, here are some ideas:

-why do you want to be a dentist
-what have you done to explore dentistry
-helping others/obstacles
-personal experience with dentistry, etc

I think the key to the personal statement is to make it personal. These essays are very open ended. I'd advise you to reflect on your own experiences and that will help you get started.

Members don't see this ad :)
Diversity: Diversity can exist in many ways: ethnic background, obstacles, culture, religion, political views, language, socioeconomic status etc. Diversity just means that each individual is unique in his/her origin, experience, and values . I think diversity is about embracing your own differences and accepting the differences of others. As a dentist, you will treat people of all kinds and from all different backgrounds. No one can tell you specifically what to write about, because we don't know your experience with diversity and what makes you diverse. But i hope what I wrote above can help you get started.

In regards to the personal statement, here are some ideas:

-why do you want to be a dentist
-what have you done to explore dentistry
-helping others/obstacles
-personal experience with dentistry, etc

I think the key to the personal statement is to make it personal. These essays are very open ended. I'd advise you to reflect on your own experiences and that will help you get started.
do you know if the residency affect your acceptance?, i'm talking about UoW, as they only accept 10% OOS and i'm CA resident

But if it's for SMDEP, then it really doesn't matter what state you're from. If you wanna apply to Washington, apply to Washington!

i don't know which one should i apply from the nine schools!
I'm thinking about
UCLA
UoW
case
columbia
Howard
i need to choose three!

the struggle is real!
i wounder how are you guys choose which dental schools to apply :confused:

Have you ever been to the SMDEP website? They have a synopsis on each school and what they are looking for in a candidate?

I believe when I did SMDEP, we were allowed to have a top 3.

Have you ever been to the SMDEP website? They have a synopsis on each school and what they are looking for in a candidate?

I believe when I did SMDEP, we were allowed to have a top 3.
yes sir i checked it before, but it only shows the schools participate, and the date of their program.They don't show what they are looking for in candidate or any information about how they select candidates except you need to be URM, disadvantage economic background

I see. Perhaps you could email the respective school coordinators of the SMDEP program at the schools you are looking to apply to and ask them?

I see. Perhaps you could email the respective school coordinators of the SMDEP program at the schools you are looking to apply to and ask them?
i want to ask, as you did before the program. Does your residency affect your admission i'm talking about UoW, as they are in state school, and only 10% are OOS
is that the same for SMDEP?. As i am planning to apply, but i am CA resident

I'm pretty sure dental school statistics and SMDEP statistics are totally different.