SMP and post-bac viewed negatively?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillinillinkillin007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
this post is for one of my friends. He wants to attend an SMP during his gap year and he is shooting for top 20 schools. He already has a decent gpa (3.7) and very high MCAT (he won't tell me) and also a two or three publication and other EC's. He wants to do an SMP still to prepare for medical school but he's worried it might affect him down the road since SMP are viewed negatively by some as in weak stats etc. He's still set on doing an SMP but I am just curious, do top academic programs view SMP and post-bacs negatively?

Members don't see this ad.

this post is for one of my friends. He wants to attend an SMP during his gap year and he is shooting for top 20 schools. He already has a decent gpa (3.7) and very high MCAT (he won't tell me) and also a two or three publication and other EC's. He wants to do an SMP still to prepare for medical school but he's worried it might affect him down the road since SMP are viewed negatively by some as in weak stats etc. He's still set on doing an SMP but I am just curious, do top academic programs view SMP and post-bacs negatively?
The SMP isn't what's viewed negatively. Being in a position to need an SMP is usually the problem, since those programs are specifically designed for low-stats applicants to redeem themselves.

That being said, think of an SMP like the equivalent of an MCAT retake for GPA...it gives you a second chance if you did poorly the first time around, but it costs a lot (in time and money) and you had damn well better improve from take 1.
To extend that metaphor, choosing to retake when you have a solid score (or GPA) can be viewed as a sign of immaturity, arrogance, poor perspective, and/or underdeveloped decision making skills. Plus, in your friend's case, it is almost certain that he/she will find their high MCAT score ineligible after spending a year on an SMP, as many schools are phasing the 'old' exam out quickly. That makes it an even bigger time/money sink.

In other words, :nono::sendoff::caution::uhno::slap::smack::thumbdown::annoyed::bang::boom:DON'T waste time, money, and a program slot just to massage your ego. Don't take an SMP if you are a high stats applicant. It serves no purpose, you risk not improving, and you end up looking like a tool.

Reactions: 2 users
The SMP isn't what's viewed negatively. Being in a position to need an SMP is usually the problem, since those programs are specifically designed for low-stats applicants to redeem themselves.

That being said, think of an SMP like the equivalent of an MCAT retake for GPA...it gives you a second chance if you did poorly the first time around, but it costs a lot (in time and money) and you had damn well better improve from take 1.
To extend that metaphor, choosing to retake when you have a solid score (or GPA) can be viewed as a sign of immaturity, arrogance, poor perspective, and/or underdeveloped decision making skills. Plus, in your friend's case, it is almost certain that he/she will find their high MCAT score ineligible after spending a year on an SMP, as many schools are phasing the 'old' exam out quickly. That makes it an even bigger time/money sink.

In other words, :nono::sendoff::caution::uhno::slap::smack::thumbdown::annoyed::bang::boom:DON'T waste time, money, and a program slot just to massage your ego. Don't take an SMP if you are a high stats applicant. It serves no purpose, you risk not improving, and you end up looking like a tool.

great post but what's considered a low gpa for redemption cause I got a 3.4 and now you got me worried lol? And are all these one year masters SMP's? My friend isn't interested in SMP linked to medical schools, just special masters to continue her education during her gap year. She thinks being out of school is bad, and I'm the complete opposite

Members don't see this ad :)
great post but what's considered a low gpa for redemption cause I got a 3.4 and now you got me worried lol? And are all these one year masters SMP's? My friend isn't interested in SMP linked to medical schools, just special masters to continue her education during her gap year. She thinks being out of school is bad, and I'm the complete opposite
An SMP is any program where you take med school classes to prove you can succeed in med school, linkage or no.

If your friend wants to stay sharp academically and has the interest, something like an MPH can be short and useful down the road. However, it's not an app boost (no grad program aside from SMPs really is), so it should only be taken if they're actually interested.

As for gpa cutoffs, there is no hard and fast rule. However, if I were to put down my own personal guidelines (no facts here, sorry)...

In the 3.7+ range, your gpa is likely helping your app.
3.5 to 3.6 it's not hurting you.
3.3, 3.4 it is a weak spot, but if it's your only big one, you've got a shot.
3.2 or below and you need to do something specifically to address it - be that postbacc, SMP, or, in drastic cases, both.

Of course, even in my own head these are all fuzzy, affected by trends, circumstance, timelines, etc. Plus they are all shades of grey rather than discrete steps, despite my format above.

Don't see any reason to do an SMP. With that GPA adcoms know that coursework isn't the problem, which is pretty much the whole point of these programs. Don't see how it would improve chances at all.

Nonsense! Case, BU, Duke and Vanderbilt are schools that I know of that have taken students who have reinvented themselves via a good SMP/post-bac performance (along with a killer MCAT score...like 34+. Maybe Stanford or Harvard will sneet at peope like this, but there are plenty of other schools that will gladly take them.

The caveat is that one has to do well in the SMP...No Bs...Ace them.

He wants to do an SMP still to prepare for medical school but he's worried it might affect him down the road since SMP are viewed negatively by some as in weak stats etc. He's still set on doing an SMP but I am just curious, do top academic programs view SMP and post-bacs negatively?[/QUOTE]

Nonsense! Case, BU, Duke and Vanderbilt are schools that I know of that have taken students who have reinvented themselves via a good SMP/post-bac performance (along with a killer MCAT score...like 34+. Maybe Stanford or Harvard will sneet at peope like this, but there are plenty of other schools that will gladly take them.

The caveat is that one has to do well in the SMP...No Bs...Ace them.

He wants to do an SMP still to prepare for medical school but he's worried it might affect him down the road since SMP are viewed negatively by some as in weak stats etc. He's still set on doing an SMP but I am just curious, do top academic programs view SMP and post-bacs negatively?

...The question is, why would you 'reinvent' a 3.7/35+ ?

If retaking a 33 shows poor judgement, this would seem to indicate something far worse.

Reactions: 1 user
Apologies, I didn't see that.

Is your friend a science major? Spending $20-60K to "prepare for med school" when a UG curriculum would do that makes me questions his choice making. Unless the MCAT is due to expire over the next year, retaking it also shows poor judgement.

...The question is, why would you 'reinvent' a 3.7/35+ ?

If retaking a 33 shows poor judgement, this would seem to indicate something far worse.

Apologies, I didn't see that.

Is your friend a science major? Spending $20-60K to "prepare for med school" when a UG curriculum would do that makes me questions his choice making. Unless the MCAT is due to expire over the next year, retaking it also shows poor judgement.

well my friend is just looking to stay in school for a year but now I'm worried about my own gpa. I have a 3.4 only.

well my friend is just looking to stay in school for a year but now I'm worried about my own gpa. I have a 3.4 only.
It's not an app killer, it just won't be doing you any favors. :shrug: It is what it is.

Reactions: 1 user