SMP Chances!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benjaminl1nus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi -

I am looking into the possibility of an SMP for next fall. I have done my research and have come up with some good options, but I am not sure if my stats quite cut it.

uGPA: 3.02/4.0
sGPA: 3.00/4.0

currently taking post bacc classes. by the time the academic year is over I'm hoping to pull this up to a uGPA of 3.2 and a sGPA of 3.3.

I have solid extracurriculars, and a somewhat-mitigating MCAT of 37 (14/8/15). Anyone recommend a solid SMP that would be game to accept someone like me? :) Thanks for reading

Members don't see this ad.

...have come up with some good options
Such as? Name some programs you're interested in and why, or "I have done my research" is BS.
but I am not sure if my stats quite cut it.
There are 2 programs that won't consider you. If you've "done your research" you can name them.
uGPA: 3.02/4.0
sGPA: 3.00/4.0
currently taking post bacc classes. by the time the academic year is over I'm hoping to pull this up to a uGPA of 3.2 and a sGPA of 3.3.
Good.
a somewhat-mitigating MCAT of 37 (14/8/15).
Somewhat? You are profoundly mitigated.

Assuming the 8 is in verbal, you need to apologize for nothing here - that 8 is not as bad as your premed friends are telling you. I think you're looking at it like it's a 10/8/12 or something. You got 99th percentile in 2 sections. Stop thinking there's something wrong with that MCAT. Strong well-reviewed essays and a strong personality-rich interview will cover any concerns about that 8. Again, I'm assuming the 8 is verbal.

If you're in a state like Michigan or Louisiana or Mississippi, skip the SMP and focus on those remaining classes. You can apply instate with your numbers in a less competitive state. If you're in California, yeah, you need an SMP, and you need to finish it before you apply to med school.

This thread is a nice example of How To SMP Correctly.

Best of luck to you.

Options - EVMS, RFU, UCinn, and even Georgetown's SMP sound pretty good to me. I like the first 3 because there is a demonstrated strong linkage. However, it seems that all these programs have changed and that the linkage story isn't quite what it used to be. My plan is to apply in the summer and use the SMP as a back up. I do not know how smart of an idea this is, though. I'm ready to work my butt off and succeed in that second chance opportunity people here call an SMP.

I'm sure Temple wouldn't consider me...don't know the other one, though. UCinn is top of my list at the moment, because the tuition isn't too bad and you can qualify for in state tuition after completion of the program. I'm looking to get in for Fall '16, and all these programs encourage same-year applications.

Yeah, the 8 was in Verbal. Thanks for the encouragement. I am a MO resident, I don't know how that really changes anything.

But regarding the above SMPs, I'm not really sure what their admissions standards are. Do I stand a good chance of getting into one of the above?

Members don't see this ad :)
a side note - I realize you are a busy med student. Thank you for taking time to respond to my questions. :) you rock

Ha! You actually did research. That'll keep me engaged. Cincinnati is my fave too.

Here's the thing, though, you are hurting yourself by making "Fall '16" your big fat priority. You should be making "apply once, broadly, with my earliest, best possible app that's got a reasonable chance at some inexpensive, good med schools" your big fat priority. A whole lot of damn fools spend $50k+ on an SMP and then throw that money away by being in a dumb hurry...ahem Carib...

If you can make yourself not be stricken with grief at spending some money on no-way-no-guarantee SMP app fees, then just apply to a bunch of SMPs before you have everything figured out. Gtown and Cincy should absolutely be on that list. I would vote to put Tufts, Boston and Loyola on that list, but not EVMS, RFU or Drexel.

Now, I think you could also make a case for staying in Missouri, finishing a 2nd bachelors, and going after the MO schools. I don't know enough about Missouri med schools to give you a solid ruling on this, but I think you should consider this option.

To sum up, in priority order:
1. Get A's now. Every grade you get that isn't an A is a step AWAY from med school.
2. Get LOTS of A's now. (Take LOTS of mostly-science mostly-upper-div undergrad classes this year.)
3. Apply to ~5 SMPs in Oct/Nov this year. That means start writing your med school essay now.
4. Spend the remaining 6-8 months considering all of your options. You really don't have to figure this out yet.
5. Keep up EC's.
6. Get A's.

Helpful? Hope so.