SMP Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jgrek

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I graded last May from undergrad with a degree in biology and GPA 3.25 (science GPA is slightly lower), and 30P mcat. I have pretty good extracurriculars... spent two summers interning at a biotech, a third as a paid research assistant at Weill-Cornell Med in NYC. Have volunteering at two hospitals in diff departments (ER and GI surgery), and also got to serve as an undergrad TA twice: first for a vertebrate anatomy lab, and then for environmental studies class. I also coached a kids soccer team this past fall. I have what I think are solid recs (one of my two profs just got promoted to dean), and third is from CEO of the biotech I interned for and who I am fairly close with. I actually got two med school interviews applying this year that I feel went pretty well though I am not anticipating being admitted to either school. I have applied to a good number of SMPs and am beginning to have this sinking feeling that maybe I won't get into anything. So help me out and tell me what you think of my chances for these programs and which I probably have the best shot in...

Loyola Chicago MAMS
Georgetown SMP
University of Michigan MS in Physiology
Northwestern University MSEB
Tulane MS in Pharmacology
Case Western MS in Physiology

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

You should be able to get into the Georgetown SMP their GPA and MCAT minimum is 3.0, 27 respectively.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, maybe a few more undergrad courses with A's and possibly an MCAT retake could go a long way in your situation. SMP's are just sooo expensive and it is a gamble b/c if you don't do well then its game over. But regardless, it is a gamble for mid/low tier applicants.

I know it is different depending on the school, but Carver COM (Iowa) is my first choice and am applying (a bit late I know) to the school of public health at Iowa. With my stats would it be more plausible to go with an MPH? Would I have a good shot at an MD school (Carver or other) with an MPH (rather than SMP)?

I know it is different depending on the school, but Carver COM (Iowa) is my first choice and am applying (a bit late I know) to the school of public health at Iowa. With my stats would it be more plausible to go with an MPH? Would I have a good shot at an MD school (Carver or other) with an MPH (rather than SMP)?

You're slightly below their averages GPA and MCAT wise.

Their averages are 3.7 oGPA and 3.8 sGPA, 31P MCAT.

That said, you're not completely out of the running as there are people who are naturally lower.

I can't speak about how UoI views graduate degree holders so I'll defer to someone else.

Are you in-state?

Last edited:
yes I am in state

That will definitely help as about 2/3rd of their class is in-state.

My gut feeling says you have a chance but if you're successful, you'll be on the lower end of the class -- if you want to take that chance, go for it. If not, a MPH can only help but I'd imagine a SMP would carry more weight. The downside of a SMP is that it's very expensive but some of that can be negated by using SMPs that have linkage agreements or programs like Drexel's that offer guaranteed acceptance if you maintain a certain GPA.

You may have a chance for DO schools with your current stats. however, not sure if you will get into schools in your preferred geographical areas.

I actually am fairly eager to pursue a graduate degree if I am not admitted to med school as I expect. I am interested in research/biotech down the road and (obviously, md/phd may be difficult at this point) I feel a masters in some regard may be useful. I just am unsure what program (SMP, MPH, MS) would be best for me in that aspect. That said my lack of current success is disheartening and right now I am really just looking for any opportunity and that which I may have the best chance at being admitted and achieving. Whatever path I am given (or can choose) I am confident I will do well enough to gain med school admission.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that SMPs are generally only worthwhile for trying to get into med school. They won't get you into a PhD program and probably wouldn't even qualify you to teach at a community college so take that into consideration as well.