SMP during gap year possible

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Necr0sis713

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently looked into the application timeline, and realized that even if I apply this coming May, I wont be starting school until a year after (fall 2017). Now here's my deal:

I still have to take the April 23rd, and of course i'm depending on a good MCAT score to get into med school. However, although my post bacc gpa is 3.8-3.9 with all science courses (and it was my FIRST attempt at sciences; It wasn't to make up for a bad first run at a science major), I have a bad GPA from my psych degree. I'm gonna try applying this cycle in April and hope that if I get a good MCAT score the med schools will reward me for reinvention and see me as science competent.

Given my situation, I might need to get a good SMP GPA too. If I apply to an SMP, would I be able to take it during my gap year before fall 2017? or would I have to follow the same timeline; that is, waiting a year to be able to even start an SMP?

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends on a) your MCAT score b) Your sGPA and cGPA c) Other factors(ECs, recent grade trend etc). At the SMP you go to, your advisors will have a good sense of what is the best route for you based off previous applicants and how they did with similar stats. There's no clear cut answer that works for everybody.

Typically a number of people get into medical school the year they do an SMP program. But often these are borderline type candidates who's stats are close to being MD caliber(ie 3.4/31) type candidates. For those who's stats are further away from being MD caliber, often it's a good idea to have a full year of SMP grades to fully show your abilities before applying.

Reactions: 1 user
It all depends on a) your MCAT score b) Your sGPA and cGPA c) Other factors(ECs, recent grade trend etc). At the SMP you go to, your advisors will have a good sense of what is the best route for you based off previous applicants and how they did with similar stats. There's no clear cut answer that works for everybody.

Typically a number of people get into medical school the year they do an SMP program. But often these are borderline type candidates who's stats are close to being MD caliber(ie 3.4/31) type candidates. For those who's stats are further away from being MD caliber, often it's a good idea to have a full year of SMP grades to fully show your abilities before applying.

I hope you are still following this thread. I am that kind of candidate (3.47/32), and I am planning on applying to schools this June, doing an SMP during the application process, and then hopefully getting in the Fall of next year.

My question to you is whether or not medical schools will be able to see any of the SMP grades of that gap year. Won't they only be able to see the grades of my Fall semester?

Thanks