Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

SMP grads with acceptances

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by JeetKuneDo, 11.03.08.

1. JeetKuneDo

JeetKuneDo

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    So, just wondering. Anyone who took or is currently taking an SMP get an acceptance this cycle?
  2. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    SDN Published Author SDN 5+ Year Member
    I'm goig to move this to the postbac forum. I am an SMP graduate, and current a second year medical school. I have plenty of SMP friends who have interviewed or been accepted to medical school.
  3. SBK

SBK Class of 2013 - WSU

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Just got into Wayne State SOM
  4. JeetKuneDo

JeetKuneDo

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member

Congrats! If you don't mind telling, which SMP did you go to?
  5. FLDoc

FLDoc

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Got into PCOM-GA and AZCOM

still waiting on MDs but my grades are heading out soon.

UCincy SMP
  6. FLDoc

FLDoc

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    In my opinion, acceptances this early have nothing to do with your performance in the SMP though
  7. hung

hung Random Member

Medical Student
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    it does if u finish the program and then apply to med school. my friend did boston's smp and got into wayne state this cycle already.
  8. genswim24

genswim24

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I finished Tufts MBS program in May and have a couple acceptances already. This is also true of my friends in the program who did very well.
  9. SkiNH

SkiNH

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Genswim, how well did you do in the tufts smp?

I heard there were a handful of kids who got in during their smp year at Tufts, how well did they do in their classes and how did their admissions process go?
  10. FLDoc

FLDoc

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    the question was has anyone currently in SMP been accepted..not have people who finished SMP been accepted.

Generally ppl who do well in SMPs benefit from the programs the following cycle...the same is not necessarily true for those who apply while in an SMP. Good exam scores on the first couple blocks will go a long way to boosting your application but those grades dont show up until later in the application cycle so you lose the advantage of applying early.
  11. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion Gold Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Georgetown claims that 50% of its class is accepted during the SMP year. Which is more than the 35% that are accepted after the SMP year.

Cincinnati looks similar, based on the pages that show current students and what they're doing now, and when that info is posted (looks to me like more than half the class goes straight into med school after the SMP).

I'm going to speculate, however, that those with GPAs closer to 3.0 are the demographic that needs to finish an SMP before applying successfully.
  12. JeetKuneDo

JeetKuneDo

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Does anyone know which SMP's have linkage?
  13. JeetKuneDo

JeetKuneDo

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Also, please, anyone who was in an SMP share your acceptances and anything you think helped you gain admission.
  14. genswim24

genswim24

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    No the original question said

"Anyone who took or is currently taking an SMP get an acceptance this cycle?"

That is why I answered
  15. genswim24

genswim24

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I did very well in the program. I was in the group who got automatic interviews.

There are indeed a group of my classmates who are first years at Tufts. As for how well they did, it varied. About half did extremely well. The other half did well, but also had fairly strong stats going in (mid 30's MCAT and decent GPA). You definitely couldn't slack in the program and get into Tufts during the year, you needed to at least be in the middle 1/3 of the class.

Most of the kids I know who got into Tufts also got into several other programs. Some of my other classmates who are currently in different medical schools got into Tufts, but choose to go to their state schools because of price/proximity to family, etc.
  16. genswim24

genswim24

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I have been accepted to EVMS and Tufts so far. I am still waiting on a handful of other decisions, and have a couple more interviews to go.

As for what helped me gain admission, I think obviously my good standing in my SMP helped. I took the MCAT right after completing the program and boosted my score as well. I am also a couple years out of undergrad, which gave me a lot more perspective in my interviews. I was waitlisted a couple years back without an acceptance and feel that my interviews were a big reason for that.

Another key thing I feel helped was my letter of recs. I had some professors in my program, as well as my advisor, write me very strong letters. My letters before this were mediocore (typical pre-med committee and research letters).

I pretty much improved all aspects of my application. I didn't have a lot of free time, but it is all worth it now.
  17. JeetKuneDo

JeetKuneDo

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Is that what they mean by SMP's with linkage?
  18. DrJD

DrJD Junior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    As far as I know there are no SMP's with linkages... There are post-bac programs that have linkages. For SMP's a guaranteed interview is as close as you get to a linkage. There are some schools that are really good about getting their students into their own medical school (EVMS) and there are schools that are good at getting there students into a broad range of schools (Georgetown.) EVMS has a high acceptance rate to itself, and is a great program to consider if you are looking for an SMP with some sort of "linkage."
  19. halekulani

halekulani Member

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    it's safe to assume that if those first 50% waited, they would have gotten into an MD school if they applied after they graduated anyways.
  20. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion Gold Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Sure, but I don't understand what point you're trying to make.

FLDoc was looking for reason to believe that there's reason to apply during an SMP, instead of after graduating from an SMP. 50% of Georgetown was an answer to that.
  21. JeetKuneDo

JeetKuneDo

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I know that school's with SMP may accept their own students, but I was wondering what other schools look at SMP's. I talked to an adcom at my university's med school and he didnt even know what an SMP was! Maybe this is because I go to school on the west coast? Also, has anyone from an SMP gone to a california school?
  22. FLDoc

FLDoc

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member

That is not true. What I said was that i dont believe that people who are getting interviews/acceptances by Sept/Oct. while in a SMP got those interviews based on their resume before the SMP. The ppl that I have talked to (program directors, students, etc.) all agree that completing an SMP with a good GPA will improve one's chances the following year. But the jury is still out on how an SMP improves your chances before completing the program.
  23. dwc929

dwc929

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    BU's advisors specifically told all California students that their chances of going back to CA were slim to none and that we should not expect it. Given that, there have been students that have done it, just very few.
  24. DrJD

DrJD Junior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Most of those that end up back in California were really strong applicants without the SMP, something to consider...
  25. msc78

msc78 msc78

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    During my SMP year at Tulane, there were 34 of us in the pharmacology program. Of those that applied during that year, I know of 19 classmates that got accepted.
  26. JeetKuneDo

JeetKuneDo

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Nice, I'll check that out. I'm still deciding on whether I should apply to one. I was thinking of applying to medical school after my senior year and taking the year in between to either do a masters in my homestate of CA or do an SMP. Should I apply to med school first (with gpa about 3.45) or just go straight to smp?
  27. halekulani

halekulani Member

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    misunderstanding

when you brought up the after graduation %, it seemed like you were trying to imply chances were better before than after.
  28. Ailleurs

Ailleurs

Pre-Medical
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Just a tidbit, the Georgetown SMP encourages that you apply to medical school the same cycle during which you do the Georgetown SMP. If they encourage you, wouldn't there be a reason behind that?

But then again, I guess we can speculate and speculate and speculate, but I'm pretty sure we won't know definitely.

And also, they say they write a rec letter with the grades. Is this just a general rec letter, such as, this student is great because he/she managed to get high honors/passed the classes which is about 10-20% of the top of the class (correct me if I'm wrong). Or do you think it would be like, oh this student is great! He/she was treasurer for our SMP cycle this year. Yadiya is highly motivated and intellectually stimulated (lol).
  29. DrJD

DrJD Junior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    The content of the letter will greatly depend on who writes it! Each adviser has about 10 or so letters to write so there are almost 20 advisers... They don't write the letter until November/December because until then you don't have very many grades for them to talk about. You have a series of meetings with your advisers so that they can get to know you and write a better letter of rec than just letting them know your grades. But you are write, there is a paragraph that talks about your grades and your progress as a student.

Also, they definitely encourage you to apply while in the program and there are quite a few medical schools who like the Georgetown SMP. These medical schools typically wait to review your application until later in the cycle and they look at your first semester grades. Hope this helps clear it up a little bit!

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal