SMP? Is it a "true" SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ashess

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I live near fau. I was looking at their Biomedical science masters program in the college of medicine. Would this be considered a "true" SMP? I don't want to waste my time so I want to be sure this program is a good one.
Here is the overview
http://med.fau.edu/education/graduate.php

If there are any other SMP's in south Florida you can suggest then feel free to as well. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest that "true" SMPs are defined by a high rate of med school matriculation by the SMP's graduates. If the host school is an MD school, then the majority of the SMP's graduates should be in med school within a year or two of completing the SMP.

Everything else is subjective, but in general, if you are sitting next to a med student in a med school class at a med school, and the program administration exerts itself to help get you into med school, you're in a true SMP.

Also, in general, if your stats are nowhere near MD school acceptability, and an SMP or "SMP" accepts you, that acceptance is probably not going to do anything to help your chances at admission, and you are probably kidding yourself about being ready for the rigor of the SMP or of med school.

FAU is a new med school, so it won't have results from its SMP program that you can use like you can use Gtown or Temple results.

What you should do is ask the program administration to put you in touch with a program graduate who has undergrad GPA and MCAT similar to yours, who is now in med school or has been accepted to med school. If they can't do this, then you should assume you'd be the first of your kind to use the FAU program to do what you want to do, and you thus can't predict your outcome.

You'll want to find the postbac forum on SDN and study alternative programs for comparison. Yes, there are programs in South Florida.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Since I live near fau. I was looking at their Biomedical science masters program in the college of medicine. Would this be considered a "true" SMP? I don't want to waste my time so I want to be sure this program is a good one.
Here is the overview
http://med.fau.edu/education/graduate.php

If there are any other SMP's in south Florida you can suggest then feel free to as well. Thank you!

USF is the only school that has a program that has the definition of a "true" SMP and is in FL.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard anything about Barry University's program?

And FSU's is also a true program but it's hard to get into their program

BUMP. Can anyone now comment on whether FAU would now be viable as an SMP seeing as how this post was made 2 year ago?

try the postbac forum, down under interdisciplinary

FFDr,

Why not pursue FAU's prehealth certificate and just get the required courses and biochem and then apply? The prehealth advisor, if she's still there is usually fairly decent on giving recs for MD programs.

Do you really need an SMP (gpa an endless mess and no other hope)?

If you've already did your research and decided on such being the best path fine, but it may not be needed and a waste of time, money, and ruin your chances. Do some reading on SDN about SMP's!!

Last I looked FAU's program it was not a real SMP and there was little in guarantees that they would take you even if you did really well. That may have changed since.

Reactions: 1 users
FFDr,

Why not pursue FAU's prehealth certificate and just get the required courses and biochem and then apply? The prehealth advisor, if she's still there is usually fairly decent on giving recs for MD programs.

Do you really need an SMP (gpa an endless mess and no other hope)?

If you've already did your research and decided on such being the best path fine, but it may not be needed and a waste of time, money, and ruin your chances. Do some reading on SDN about SMP's!!

Last I looked FAU's program it was not a real SMP and there was little in guarantees that they would take you even if you did really well. That may have changed since.

Well I already have all of the required courses. GPA is 3.60 ish. I thought I would just do the SMP here because I graduate at the end of this year, but I am planning to take the MCAT early next year so I could apply for Fall of 2018.

That's the main reason I thought of doing it since I don't want to be out of school/class for a long time (roughly 1 1/2 years).

I don't understand.

I wouldn't have done an SMP. I would have done some grad school in science and been prepared for some other health or science career. Or even teaching. You get a chance to raise your sGPA and if that still isn't enough, you now have more job options.

But I am woefully ignorant of the whole SMP thing.

Well I already have all of the required courses. GPA is 3.60 ish. I thought I would just do the SMP here because I graduate at the end of this year, but I am planning to take the MCAT early next year so I could apply for Fall of 2018.

That's the main reason I thought of doing it since I don't want to be out of school/class for a long time (roughly 1 1/2 years).
Ok...i see your logic. I wish you luck on it, but a regular masters prog might have been better, as the courses would have been good for your bcmp but not as hard as med school like most SMPs.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Grad work is completely separate from undergrad and doesn't touch undergrad GPAs.
so an SMP is just undergrad classes and no work towards a degree or certification?
Doesn't sound like you've been in the postbac forum. I've literally written 2000+ excruciatingly detailed posts about the what and why of SMPs in the postbac forum. Nor do you seem to be familiar with any SMPs. So I'll assume you're asking rhetorically.

Med school is technically undergrad. Residency is GME, graduate medical education.

The S in SMP means special, which preferably means you're sitting in med school classes next to med students taking the same exams. There is no purpose in doing an SMP other than auditioning for med school, in a way that med schools can understand fairly easily.

But the M in SMP usually means masters. Usually you get a Masters in Biomedical Sciences, or an MA, after successful completion of an SMP, for the coursework you take with med students, which is technically undergrad for the med students. Usually this works out in terms of grad degree accreditation because there's also a library thesis and/or seminar coursework etc for the SMP students (who can't take the clinical coursework with the med students, which is maybe 10% of the 1st year curriculum).

Note: there are programs with STELLAR records of getting low-ish GPA premeds into US MD schools, which are not SMPs by my snotty definition. Loyola MAMS is a grad program that doesn't include med school classes with med students. Great program. VCU has a postbac certificate program that sometimes includes med school classes, and it's undergrad. Great program. US MD adcoms are not even slightly confused about these programs and their reputations. It's a complete waste of time to argue about whether to call them SMPs or not.

So how does an SMP that grants a masters factor into med school admissions? The SMP GPA goes in grad, which doesn't help with autoscreens at all. A sub-3.0 uGPA is still going to get autoscreened out at a lot of schools despite a 4.0 in an SMP. If and when a reviewer looks past a low-ish uGPA, and sees a recovery story that includes a strong SMP performance, then that app might effectively land on the same playing field as the rest of the premeds. A low-ish GPA med school app has to make it in front of eyeballs to get consideration for an SMP performance. Generally the best odds of a US MD acceptance are at a premed's home state public schools.

There are boatloads of SMP students at programs like Gtown that got interviews and maybe even waitlists prior to starting the SMP. These students use the SMP to show commitment, to defer student loans, and to maybe slightly nudge their reapp with their enrollment in an SMP. Being enrolled in an SMP is otherwise no asset in a low-ish GPA med school app. Gotta get some grades & letters. IMHO a same-year-as-SMP US MD app is a terrible idea unless you got interviewed & preferably waitlisted before. (Unless you're at Temple or Tulane ACP, which have 95%+ results of host school acceptance same-year-as-SMP. These programs are obviously very selective.)

There are boatloads of terminal one-year masters, not hosted at med schools, that absolutely LOVE IT when they get called SMPs. Any degree-granting college in the US can offer a one year masters in bioscience, describe it as an "academic enhancement" program, and face exactly no consequences if grads don't get into med school afterwards.

So in general if you have a premed with say a 3.2-3.4 and say a 515, completely ready for the rigors of med school, with compelling app assets, that's a pretty good candidate for an SMP. An SMP does absolutely nothing for a low MCAT. An SMP is a mistake for a student who has an unproven undergrad record such as a cuGPA of <3.0 that lacks a very strong, multiple-year, mostly-science full time undergrad performance such as a 2nd bachelors.

DO "SMPs" typically don't have "S" in terms of sitting with med school students in med school classes, but they're a great option for getting ready for med school and getting into a DO school.

For further discussion I suggest visiting the postbac forum.

Best of luck to you.

Sorry I'm not totally familiar with SMP programs. I am familiar with post-bacc programs somewhat.

I think I was confused because I see people saying all the time to do a masters with science as a way to compensate for less than stellar undergrad record.

This sounds ridiculous.

Sounds like for most students a well planned DIY post-bac would be better, especially if there's any way to have those credits go for a second major, minor, 2nd bachelor's degree, or would help the student into another graduate or professional program, or pick up certifications that allow the student to do health professions related work that can also strengthen an app and make them employable. Just what I would have done I guess.