SMP or postbacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoNaDa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really need help in deciding whether I should do an SMP or postbacc since it will also help me determine if I have to take the MCAT before the next application.

So, here are my stats:
- California resident (UC student)
- 100 hrs. clinical research
- 1.5 yrs. volunteer laboratory research
- 2 summer research programs (California)
- 1 summer research program (Abroad)
- Teaching Assistant (upper division class) and high school tutoring
- Orientation Leadership
- GPA: 3.1 cum, 3.2 BCMP (major: Biology)
- MCAT: haven't taken

I should be done with all pre-req for med school. I don't know if that makes any difference.

P.S. Also, will my GPA and curricular activities be competitive enough for California SMP/post-bacc programs?

Thank you:)

Members don't see this ad.

IMO, it all depends on your MCAT. If you score highly (30+), you definitely have a great shot at SMPs. If your score is not so good, take some classes and study hard for the MCAT.

bump. Any more advice? pls.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also depends how many credit hours you have. If you have a lot and your GPA isn't going to improve a lot, then you might want a SMP. But its impossible to say without a MCAT score.

By the time I graduate, I'll have 140 cum. undergraduate hours (110 bcpm hours). GPA: 3.1 cum., 3.2 bcpm.

If I do post-bac for a year and take 7 courses (4 units each), I am able to finish with GPA 3.2cum, 3.3 bcpm. This seems like a small change. So, should I take the MCAT and apply for an SMP?

you can still get into a smp with those scores. u just need a gre or mcat. some smps have gpa required 3.0 + or 3.3+. You would just need at least a 27+ mcat score in most programs. The BU MAMS accepts around 3.0 and around 25 mcats, lower or higher. take the mcat and apply, but take the mcat when u can get a 30+, or youll just be wasting money taking it twice.

I would also have to agree. However, it seems like I have no other choice but to take the MCAT before January if I want to apply for an SMP in January 2009.