SMP/Post-Bacc work friendly school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASNMEMD

Geum JanDi MD
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I am one year out of undergrad, and spent the last year at Wayne State University SOM completing 21 credits in their Basic Medical Sciences special masters program. The promise here is that completing 20 credits of masters work with >3.73 GPA makes you "competitive", replacing your old GPA, and gives you a tenuous linkage to their medical school.

While preparing my school list, I want to consider other schools that would look favorably on my masters coursework to the extent that Wayne State SOM claims they will-replace ugrad GPA, and consider me able to handle medschool course work.

I know Michigan State University College of Human Medicine (MD school) claims that if Non-Trads complete post-baccalaureate work in upper level sciences, the most recent 16 credits will be scrutinized and will serve to determine your academic potential.

I am looking of other schools like MSUCHM, that will honor my coursework this past year and consider it at least along side my undergrad GPA, or more hopefully, supplant it altogether like Wayne State SOM promises.

TL;DR: I want to compile a list of schools (MD/DO) that promise to replace your undergrad GPA with your SMP GPA, or at least hold it in high esteem, along with the specific requirements for these schools. Can you help me out?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that LSU will replace your undergrad GPA with your SMP GPA if you take at least 30 credits, or so I have been told by LSU students...

I believe that LSU will replace your undergrad GPA with your SMP GPA if you take at least 30 credits, or so I have been told by LSU students...

What is that program called?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is that program called?

It wasn't a program. If you had over X number of hours as a graduate student, LSU's med school would supposedly ignore your UG GPA and only look at your graduate GPA. Idk if that's completely true that they ignored the UG grades or if they just got weighted significantly lower, but that was my understanding of their admissions process a few years ago after talking to several students and a faculty member there.

If this is your mindset for admission, what was your uGPA?

The list you look for consists of 2 maybe 3 MD schools in the country. It's a rare thing for schools to just wipe clean your UG GPA and use only an SMP in their calculation. And Michigan St also in their wording on their site doesn't make it sound like they do the replace your GPA with recent coursework thing formally anymore.

All DO schools do grade replacement: there really isnt a need in most cases to do an SMP for a DO school. Use grade replacement, hit what you need to on the MCAT, and youll likely have stats that are within a competitive range.

Also the title while having little directly to do with this post, also suggests potentially doing something which is a horrible idea. There is no work friendly SMP. Trying to work while being in an SMP is a great way to botch an SMP. An SMP is a full time commitment. If life circumstances dictate that such a commitment can't happen, it's likely your efforts are better directed towards DO schools where doing part time class retakes is perfectly fine.

Reactions: 1 user