smp yay or nay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jon stewart

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
gpa 3.55
science is 3.4
international student

based on this, its not very competitive right for a international student? Would doing extremely well in a SMP help my app more?

I know it will depends on activities and mcat and lors and so forth but just in terms of gpa, a 3.4 isn't competitive for a international student right?

thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

1. based on this, its not very competitive right for a international student?
2. Would doing extremely well in a SMP help my app more?
3.I know it will depends on activities and mcat and lors and so forth but just in terms of gpa, a 3.4 isn't competitive for a international student right?

1. True. You are not very competitive for any kind of MD applicant.
2. Yes.
3. Right, it is not competitive.

I'd say an SMP isn't for you. They are more for those with a GPA in the 3.1-3.3 range, who would not otherwise have a chance at most schools and pay for a 'tryout' at a med school. Your GPA, while not outstanding, could be easily repaired by a couple years of extra undergraduate coursework (at half the price).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say an SMP isn't for you. They are more for those with a GPA in the 3.1-3.3 range, who would not otherwise have a chance at most schools and pay for a 'tryout' at a med school. Your GPA, while not outstanding, could be easily repaired by a couple years of extra undergraduate coursework (at half the price).

what sort of ugrad coursework? like a pre med post bac?

what sort of ugrad coursework? like a pre med post bac?

If you have any pre-reqs that are a C or less, I suggest retaking those. Otherwise, focus on upper-level undergraduate science classes (biochem, anatomy, physio, genetics, neuro, etc) to demonstrate that you can handle those sorts of classes.

If you have any pre-reqs that are a C or less, I suggest retaking those. Otherwise, focus on upper-level undergraduate science classes (biochem, anatomy, physio, genetics, neuro, etc) to demonstrate that you can handle those sorts of classes.

i did all those graduated already with a bachelors in bio so i dont have any more ugrad classes i can really take.... :-/

thats why i was looking into the smp...? still a good idea?

i did all those graduated already with a bachelors in bio so i dont have any more ugrad classes i can really take.... :-/

thats why i was looking into the smp...? still a good idea?

It's not a bad option for you then (if you can accommodate the hefty price tag). Have you seen the post-bac forum yet? http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=71

Start checking out the differences between programs because they are wildly different:
- Some do not accept internationals
- Some are undergraduate curricula, while others are graduate
- Some have much stronger linkage to medical schools than others
- Some are designed for 'career changers' while others are designed for 'grade enhancement'
- Some are 1 year certificates, while others are 2 year masters
- Tuition (that I've seen) ranges from 10-50 k/yr
- etc

It's not a bad option for you then (if you can accommodate the hefty price tag). Have you seen the post-bac forum yet? http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=71

Start checking out the differences between programs because they are wildly different:
- Some do not accept internationals
- Some are undergraduate curricula, while others are graduate
- Some have much stronger linkage to medical schools than others
- Some are designed for 'career changers' while others are designed for 'grade enhancement'
- Some are 1 year certificates, while others are 2 year masters
- Tuition (that I've seen) ranges from 10-50 k/yr
- etc

i have looked at a few, Georgetown, cinny and the Boston Uni ones
iv looked at others too but those are the ones that seems to appeal to me

They are very $$$ even the ones one the lower end are $$ and you need a pretty decent mcat score to get accepted into the smp program anyway!

anyhow i was just trying to see what my options are for that, i would want to do a one year program that is a "masters"

seems like some only have a reputation with some schools and are others dont get you very far!

gpa 3.55
science is 3.4
international student

based on this, its not very competitive right for a international student? Would doing extremely well in a SMP help my app more?

I know it will depends on activities and mcat and lors and so forth but just in terms of gpa, a 3.4 isn't competitive for a international student right?

thanks all

Your MCAT score matters a lot in this equation. If you don't break a 30, or an 8 on verbal (I mention that as many international students struggle with that, if English was not their first language), you probably won't get into an MD, even if you dominate the SMP. So I would take that first, and then make the decision to drop $30,000 on an SMP.

Plus, I agree with the last person that you could probably more easily fix your GPA with an informal post-bac at your local colleges, for much cheaper. 1 year of A's in like 8 science courses would probably raise your gpa a lot

Your MCAT score matters a lot in this equation. If you don't break a 30, or an 8 on verbal (I mention that as many international students struggle with that, if English was not their first language), you probably won't get into an MD, even if you dominate the SMP. So I would take that first, and then make the decision to drop $30,000 on an SMP.

Plus, I agree with the last person that you could probably more easily fix your GPA with an informal post-bac at your local colleges, for much cheaper.

as much as i would like to do a post bac i have a taken a lot of the science classes already and i dont think it will help much. I did poorly initially during undergrad but my later years are much better. Thats why i am looking into smp, and you are right the mcat is a large deciding factor. I will have to score very well on the exam just like everyone else!

Haha, I didn't notice (yes that would drop it off my list of candidate schools as well :))

yea its either Georgetown or Boston i think :)

i was looking at some info on clarks website it says this for the 09 app cycle

http://www.clarku.edu/departments/prehealth/applying/international.cfm

"Applicants to U.S. Medical Schools by In- or Out-of-State Matriculation Status, 2009," notes that of 1,249 foreign applicants in 2009, only 144 matriculated.

thats a 8.7% acceptance for intl applicants... lol :scared::(

... by the way, Jon, while I enjoy your avatar tremendously, I think you should post the link to the reference in your signature so others can appreciate it as well ;).

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmj6JADOZ-8[/YOUTUBE]

... by the way, Jon, while I enjoy your avatar tremendously, I think you should post the link to the reference in your signature so others can appreciate it as well ;).

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmj6JADOZ-8[/YOUTUBE]

haha yea that was so long ago! i first started browsing this site in 2004...
its been a while since i have posted again!

haha yea that was so long ago! i first started browsing this site in 2004...
its been a while since i have posted again!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: That's a classic :laugh:. I love his Beck impersonations he does now on TDS.