SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

takeonme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this cycle and I would like to have a back up plan, just in case. Everything seems in order except pending MCAT, but I wanted to know what my options were.

What type of applicants should do SMPs? I did research some and I'm slightly confused about the timeline of everything as well. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

SMPs are for GPA repair. For example, if you had a disastrous first two years, but had a rising trend so that you got your GPAs up to the very high 2's/low 3's, OR you were a solid 3.2 GOA throughout UG, then aceing a SMP will convince Adcoms that you can handle medical school.

SMPs are NOT for counteracting a poor MCAT. You'd be surprised at how many pre-meds fail to grasp that.

In essence, a SMP is an audition for medical school.

I'm applying this cycle and I would like to have a back up plan, just in case. Everything seems in order except pending MCAT, but I wanted to know what my options were.

What type of applicants should do SMPs? I did research some and I'm slightly confused about the timeline of everything as well. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a career changer but I have completed the prereqs over the past few years. I just wanted to see if this would be beneficial to show I can handle rigorous sciences in a heavier load since prereqs were completed while working full time so I didn't have a full course load. My gpa's fall 3.6-7 s. At the same time I wanted to weigh out benefits/costs since I'm sure graduate fees with the intent to go to med school can put me in a large debt

In SMPs, I read that they take these courses along med students in some cases. Do people not take these classes their first year then?

What courses and over what time period?

I am a career changer but I have completed the prereqs over the past few years. I just wanted to see if this would be beneficial to show I can handle rigorous sciences in a heavier load since prereqs were completed while working full time so I didn't have a full course load. My gpa's fall 3.6-7 s. At the same time I wanted to weigh out benefits/costs since I'm sure graduate fees with the intent to go to med school can put me in a large debt

What courses and over what time period?

I had some prereqs completed during undergrad (gchem 1, phys 1, calculus) then basically did 2 classes at a time one year after graduating (had to wait for work schedule to be more accommodating) to complete the year of bio, ochem, gchem, phys and eng, stats. In short 2 class/sem for 2 yrs with summer school? I physically could not fit in more than 2 classes at a time because of work. Will it look odd that I had 3-4 year gaps between the gchem and phys?

I'm finishing up with an upper div bio class and biochem. I've never received a C in a course before, and I'm thinking this may be a possibility in one of them. How bad will this look? I wanted to send in my transcripts early but I didn't know if I should wait for spring grades (don't want adcoms to think I sent them in early because I was trying to 'hide' it if it does happen). But these grades hardly put a dent in my GPA since I've taken so many classes, possibly a .05 with the BCPM GPA though.

Last edited:
This should be fine. We tend to take a more dim view of people who only take one class/year.

I had some prereqs completed during undergrad (gchem 1, phys 1, calculus) then basically did 2 classes at a time one year after graduating (had to wait for work schedule to be more accommodating) to complete the year of bio, ochem, gchem, phys and eng, stats. In short 2 sem/class for 2 yrs with summer school? I physically could not fit in more than 2 classes at a time because of work. Will it look odd that I had 3-4 year gaps between the gchem and phys?

I'm finishing up with an upper div bio class and biochem. I've never received a C in a course before, and I'm thinking this may be a possibility in one of them. How bad will this look? I wanted to send in my transcripts early but I didn't know if I should wait for spring grades (don't want adcoms to think I sent them in early because I was trying to 'hide' it if it does happen). But these grades hardly put a dent in my GPA since I've taken so many classes, possibly a .05 with the BCPM GPA though.

Reactions: 1 user
This should be fine. We tend to take a more dim view of people who only take one class/year.

Great, thanks! A few years back when I wanted to start my informal post-bacc, the old pre-med counselor was chewing me out for this - basically it almost seemed like quit my job because 2 classes, despite the circumstances, was not rigorous enough. Is it advisable to hold off on sending my transcripts with a potential bad grade? I am aware they'll see it anyways. I just don't want them to think any bad intent if I send it now. I've spoken with the counselor and she says it doesn't matter but also initially suggested I submit when I get my score and to all schools. I just wanted to at least give myself the advantage of applying early, even if that means without my score.

Apply with the best possible app. Just not too late.

Great, thanks! A few years back when I wanted to start my informal post-bacc, the old pre-med counselor was chewing me out for this - basically it almost seemed like quit my job because 2 classes, despite the circumstances, was not rigorous enough. Is it advisable to hold off on sending my transcripts with a potential bad grade? I am aware they'll see it anyways. I just don't want them to think any bad intent if I send it now. I've spoken with the counselor and she says it doesn't matter but also initially suggested I submit when I get my score and to all schools. I just wanted to at least give myself the advantage of applying early, even if that means without my score.

Reactions: 1 user
Should I do SMP?
3.4cGPA and 3.2 sGPA at top 20 University (MCB Major)
pending MCAT, but practice is putting me in upper 30th percentile
Lab Research
Epidemiology Research
Clinic Hours
Underdeveloped country clinical hours
URM

Any feedback is good.

pending MCAT, but practice is putting me in upper 30th percentile
If you do not understand that this is potentially your biggest problem, then there is a problem.

Huh? Top 30% is 28+ on the old scale. That's fine for DO. Top 20% is MD territory.

But I'm sure your point was that the strongest possible MCAT should be the goal, always, extra true with GPA damage.

Huh? Top 30% is 28+ on the old scale. That's fine for DO. Top 20% is MD territory.

But I'm sure your point was that the strongest possible MCAT should be the goal, always, extra true with GPA damage.
So would you suggest i do SMP if I dont atleast get upper 20% on MCAT?

if you want MD from 3.4/3.2, get a top 20% MCAT and do an SMP and don't apply until after successful completion of the SMP and expect to need more than one app cycle.

if you want DO get a top 20% MCAT as well, because surely you want to beat that first of endless hours-long multiple-choice career-determining exams that are the bedrock of medical training. the difference with DO is that you can probably leave your GPAs unredeemed, if you apply well.

Oh my bad, I read 30th percentile. As in only better than 30% of test-takers, which would be alarming.
In that case OP, DrMidlife is spot on with her advice.

Last edited: