SN2'd first day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasSurgeon

I don't pay state taxes
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: This was supposed to be a thread about the first day of SN2. However as with all intelligent life, things evolve. This thread has now become a support page for people following the SN2 plan. You can think of it as Alcoholics Anonymous for people studying to take the MCAT using the SN2 plan.

EDIT July 1, 2014:
If you are interested in @mehc012's Anki Deck, DO NOT SEND A PM. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7if6wgaif98rkoa/mehc012 SN2edCh4s.apkg
**A NOTE: @mehc012 and several others (myself included) want to tell you guys that studying from another person's deck will probably not be as beneficial to you as creating your own cards. Yes you can take advantage of @mehc012's generosity, but you won't get the same advantage. Study the material. Create cards as you go along. You will find it more helpful to your studying. **

EDIT July 22, 2014:
The following is @TBRBiosadist's official MCAT Verbal Reasoning Strategy:
@TBRBiosadist's strategy that got [him] from a 7 average to scoring 13-15 average..

Spend the bulk of your time reading. Up to 3 minutes per passage.
  • Read the first and last paragraph thoroughly to begin with. Understand what the authors main point will be because 90% of questions require nothing more than a general idea.
  • After this, read the entire passage slowly enough where you dont feel like you need to reread sentences for understanding.
Next is just answer questions, there is a few tricks here that work about 90% of the time
  • Unless the passage is asking you about a specific detail, dont look back. READ EVERY ANSWER THOROUGLY AND THEN Answer what makes sense from the general point of the passage. Its very easy to prove a wrong answer to be somewhat correct if you dig hard enough, dont. Answer what your gut says and move onto the next question, dont contemplate to much. With that being said...
  • Answer like you were dropped on the head as a child. Alot of times if Im arguing between two answers, there is the answer that is 100% correct, and one that is 90% correct. Be an idoit and choose the one that seems like it is correct. However.....
  • "Always" is a word to avoid. If an answer uses this word, or definites like it, it is something to avoid. I would say 80% of the time the wishy washy answer is more correct then the highly affirmative one. This leads to my final point....
  • 100% of the time you are not actually looking for the "right" answer in verbal, this isnt PS or BS where 1+1 almost always equals 2 (unless we are talking about the different sedimentation values for Ribosomes). In verbal you are looking for the answer that isnt wrong. Often times an answer will seem very "right" but one aspect of it is clearly wrong, as compared to an answer that isnt wrong, but doesnt seem as right as that answer, these are meant to fool you. Choose the answer that isnt wrong.
I understand that I few of these tips may be at odds with each other. Ultimately you must adjust slightly for each passage, but it comes down to one thing. Read thoroughly. Read every sentence in the passage. Read every question. Read every answer. Then the correct answer will be fairly obvious. This may seem like it takes longer, but it takes much less time than skimming, and then trying to find the correct information later.

Or to summarize in one sentence

Understand what the hell the author is arguing

EDIT July 26, 2014:

@DoctorInASaree uploaded a guide to Verbal Reasoning. If you're interested, it's worth a look. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2byivymmqwlvjms/MCAT VR Primer DRSAREE.pdf

EDIT 2, July 26, 2014: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sn2d-first-day.1074344/page-52#post-15510851

The first day is BR physics chapter (translational motion) + 1/3 of the passages. I felt like I wasn't able to apply the stuff I read into the stuff I was tested on.

Has anyone felt this way when following the schedule? It just seems like the contents of the chapter didn't really stick in my head when I took the practice passages. Will this improve over time?

EDIT 3, March 4, 2015:

For verbal, if you are feeling lost and confused, I highly highly recommend you to look into the MCAT Strategy Course by @Jack Westin. I've been working with him, and nothing comes close to his course and teaching. It's a strategy course, so it will cover everything, not just the VR/CARS section.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Screen Shot 2014-07-22 at 6.09.53 PM.png

@TexasSurgeon Requested pics of my pup

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Members don't see this ad :)
bickin back bein' bool..

bickin' back.. bickin b.. bickin' b... bickin back bein bool

Keep the dog pictures coming Swedish.

I think you may break the adorableness factor on the internet. But that's okay - we want more pictures! :D It's a risk we'll have to take.

PS - What's his name?

My Verb strategy that got me from a 7 average to scoring 13-15 average..

• Read the first and last paragraph thoroughly to begin with. Understand what the authors main point will be because 90% of questions require nothing more than a general idea.
  • After this, read the entire passage slowly enough where you dont feel like you need to reread sentences for understanding.
Next is just answer questions, there is a few tricks here that work about 90% of the time
  • Unless the passage is asking you about a specific detail, dont look back. READ EVERY ANSWER THOROUGLY AND THEN Answer what makes sense from the general point of the passage. Its very easy to prove a wrong answer to be somewhat correct if you dig hard enough, dont. Answer what your gut says and move onto the next question, dont contemplate to much. With that being said...
  • Answer like you were dropped on the head as a child. Alot of times if Im arguing between two answers, there is the answer that is 100% correct, and one that is 90% correct. Be an idoit and choose the one that seems like it is correct. However.....
  • "Always" is a word to avoid. If an answer uses this word, or definites like it, it is something to avoid. I would say 80% of the time the wishy washy answer is more correct then the highly affirmative one. This leads to my final point....
  • 100% of the time you are not actually looking for the "right" answer in verbal, this isnt PS or BS where 1+1 almost always equals 2 (unless we are talking about the different sedimentation values for Ribosomes). In verbal you are looking for the answer that isnt wrong. Often times an answer will seem very "right" but one aspect of it is clearly wrong, as compared to an answer that isnt wrong, but doesnt seem as right as that answer, these are meant to fool you. Choose the answer that isnt wrong.
I understand that I few of these tips may be at odds with each other. Ultimately you must adjust slightly for each passage, but it comes down to one thing. Read thoroughly. Read every sentence in the passage. Read every question. Read every answer. Then the correct answer will be fairly obvious. This may seem like it takes longer, but it takes much less time than skimming, and then trying to find the correct information later.

Reactions: 4 users

This is definitely a gem of a post. Thanks.

Now I am not the best at verbal. But if I had to add something to this, I would say, don't make a very narrow main idea. Not like, 'author is arguing for legalization of marijuana', but include more, like 'author is arguing for legalization of marijuana and makes two points, one for which is this, and one against which is this'

EDIT: I meant too general.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Now I am not the best at verbal. But if I had to add something to this, I would say, don't make a very narrow main idea. Not like, 'author is arguing for legalization of marijuana', but include more, like 'author is arguing for legalization of marijuana and makes two points, one for which is this, and one against which is this'
More specific = narrower, though

Reactions: 1 users

LOOOOVE u right now! I hope u get that 45 on the real thing!!! I will give this a serious try and keep y'all posted on (hopeful) improvement

Holy crap. I would be going nuts if I got this score. Congrats. Keep it up.

Hold my beer while I get a 45

bv5Kx3b.gif
Yeah this is great, but then I get some easy as **** answer wrong in TBR Physics on a momentum and KE problem. Who get's that stuff wrong. Of course a deforming object will damage the object it is colliding with more because it imparts all its KE to it, but no, Mr. I got a perfect score on AAMC #4 decides that he ate lead paint chips today and decides, hey, the elastic object will do more damage to an unspecified material (as in was not said to be elastic or not) because it has the greatest momentum change bc it bounces opposite. Im such an idiot. THis is why Im scared of the real thing, because im probably going to sit down at my computer after drinking a nice full cup of stupid and put down stupid as **** answers like that.

so happy I have a heavy bag in the other room. I can just and pound it everytime i get angry like this

Yeah this is great, but then I get some easy as **** answer wrong in TBR Physics on a momentum and KE problem. Who get's that stuff wrong. Of course a deforming object will damage the object it is colliding with more because it imparts all its KE to it, but no, Mr. I got a perfect score on AAMC #4 decides that he ate lead paint chips today and decides, hey, the elastic object will do more damage to an unspecified material (as in was not said to be elastic or not) because it has the greatest momentum change bc it bounces opposite. Im such an idiot. THis is why Im scared of the real thing, because im probably going to sit down at my computer after drinking a nice full cup of stupid and put down stupid as **** answers like that.
I think I missed that one too...I got confused because the way they phrased it made it sound as if both objects lodged in the block, but then some of the questions indicated that one rebounded.

I think I missed that one too...I got confused because the way they phrased it made it sound as if both objects lodged in the block, but then some of the questions indicated that one rebounded.
Yeah i wished they were more straightforward with the specifics of the actual collision

Anyone else can give me some advice on how to do the review days ?? I was a idiot and tried to rewrite the chapters word for word and that didn't work out well and now im so far behind !!. Waste too much time doing that shi*t .. I suck at taking notes because I think everything is important. Any help any on how to do review days more effectively and how to take notes effectively ?

Anyone else can give me some advice on how to do the review days ?? I was a idiot and tried to rewrite the chapters word for word and that didn't work out well and now im so far behind !!. Waste too much time doing that shi*t .. I suck at taking notes because I think everything is important. Any help any on how to do review days more effectively and how to take notes effectively ?
Skim read chapter, look at major equations, redo the little practice problems they have within chapter. I basically rewrite chapters while taking notes too, thus i dont need too retake notes on review days.

When you rewrite do you do word for word or summarize ??? Im taking way too long with word for word

Hi!

I sacrificed two break days, and all of my spare time towards...writing a primer on Verbal!

I cannot stress enough that it is in it's initial stages! It is by no means near completion, and is missing a table of contents, appendices, and some sections lack detail. Furthermore, I am trying to find sufficient spare time, to write VR passages by myself, so that I can demonstrate to the reader precisely how to apply the method that I use. In addition to that, I need to merge @TBRBiosadist's Verbal strategy as well.

This will consume countless hours on my part, but I am willing to do it given that some of you feel that the primer in its current state is useful to you. I will also do my utmost to beautify it. :D

I am open to suggestions, and any form of input as long as it adds value to the document.

@SwedishMD2B - Ryu is the cutest.

EDIT: I completely forgot to paste in the introductory section about ES/RS (Emotional and Rational System). Essentially, when reading VR passage one needs to be in the RS "zone", and ostensibly nullify the affect of the ES. Logic must rule the day. I'll fix it in the next draft! My deepest apologies! :(

Attachments

• MCAT VR PRIMER.pdf
    269.8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Hi!

I sacrificed two break days, and all of my spare time towards...writing a primer on Verbal!

I cannot stress enough that it is in it's initial stages! It is by no means near completion, and is missing a table of contents, appendices, and some sections lack detail. Furthermore, I am trying to find sufficient spare time, to write VR passages by myself, so that I can demonstrate to the reader precisely how to apply the method that I use. In addition to that, I need to merge @TBRBiosadist's Verbal strategy as well.

This will consume countless hours on my part, but I am willing to do it given that some of you feel that the primer in its current state is useful to you. I will also do my utmost to beautify it. :D

I am open to suggestions and any form of input as long as it adds value to the document.

EDIT: I completely forgot to paste in the introductory section about ES/RS (Emotional and Rational System). Essentially, when reading VR passage one needs to be in the RS "zone", and ostensibly nullify the affect of the ES. Logic must rule the day. I'll fix it in the next draft! My deepest apologies! :(

I will definitely have to make time to read this, thank you lovely drinasaree!!

only got 2 100s on my 3/3s today :/, but using a different tactic to improve my weaknesses so iz good

I feel like I'm in the presence of multiple people who will score the first 45s on the MCAT in years on this thread

@DoctorInASaree you are a rockstar, thank you so much for providing a comprehensive, logical guide to attacking verbal! Definitely the way I think so hopefully it will help my scores

I feel like I'm in the presence of multiple people who will score the first 45s on the MCAT in years on this thread

@DoctorInASaree you are a rockstar, thank you so much for providing a comprehensive, logical guide to attacking verbal! Definitely the way I think so hopefully it will help my scores
watch me choke and get a 26, and that really is incredible saree

Hi!

I am open to suggestions, and any form of input as long as it adds value to the document.

Damn Saree

1192p0i.gif

How important is scoring well on those 1/3 ?? I'm not doing so hot.. lol should I wait until the FL to judge myself ? and how has the FL been going for you @mehc012 thought you where going to do the #3 soon! Im cheering for you

How important is scoring well on those 1/3 ?? I'm not doing so hot.. lol should I wait until the FL to judge myself ? and how has the FL been going for you @mehc012 thought you where going to do the #3 soon! Im cheering for you
If there are major knowledge gaps, worry. If it is because TBR is being TBR, dont worry as much. Aim to do well, but the AAMCs far and away are a better predictor

If there are major knowledge gaps, worry. If it is because TBR is being TBR, dont worry as much. Aim to do well, but the AAMCs far and away are a better predictor
Ok man i will just use your method if I dont get a 100 I freak out and if I get a 100 I freak out even more HA HA your a character !!:bang::bang:

Hi!

Do you mind if I post this on the first page with the attachment?

Reactions: 1 users
Well ill reiterate, If I got a 45 I would give out free blowjobs for a month, get really drunk, host a huge party, run naked down the street, cry, and take a bunch of a specific illicit substance that is known for its euphoric affects, play russian rullete, and put 10,000 on 45.

It dont happen yo. Like not a single case in years