SN2'd first day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasSurgeon

I don't pay state taxes
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: This was supposed to be a thread about the first day of SN2. However as with all intelligent life, things evolve. This thread has now become a support page for people following the SN2 plan. You can think of it as Alcoholics Anonymous for people studying to take the MCAT using the SN2 plan.

EDIT July 1, 2014:
If you are interested in @mehc012's Anki Deck, DO NOT SEND A PM. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7if6wgaif98rkoa/mehc012 SN2edCh4s.apkg
**A NOTE: @mehc012 and several others (myself included) want to tell you guys that studying from another person's deck will probably not be as beneficial to you as creating your own cards. Yes you can take advantage of @mehc012's generosity, but you won't get the same advantage. Study the material. Create cards as you go along. You will find it more helpful to your studying. **

EDIT July 22, 2014:
The following is @TBRBiosadist's official MCAT Verbal Reasoning Strategy:
@TBRBiosadist's strategy that got [him] from a 7 average to scoring 13-15 average..

Spend the bulk of your time reading. Up to 3 minutes per passage.
  • Read the first and last paragraph thoroughly to begin with. Understand what the authors main point will be because 90% of questions require nothing more than a general idea.
  • After this, read the entire passage slowly enough where you dont feel like you need to reread sentences for understanding.
Next is just answer questions, there is a few tricks here that work about 90% of the time
  • Unless the passage is asking you about a specific detail, dont look back. READ EVERY ANSWER THOROUGLY AND THEN Answer what makes sense from the general point of the passage. Its very easy to prove a wrong answer to be somewhat correct if you dig hard enough, dont. Answer what your gut says and move onto the next question, dont contemplate to much. With that being said...
  • Answer like you were dropped on the head as a child. Alot of times if Im arguing between two answers, there is the answer that is 100% correct, and one that is 90% correct. Be an idoit and choose the one that seems like it is correct. However.....
  • "Always" is a word to avoid. If an answer uses this word, or definites like it, it is something to avoid. I would say 80% of the time the wishy washy answer is more correct then the highly affirmative one. This leads to my final point....
  • 100% of the time you are not actually looking for the "right" answer in verbal, this isnt PS or BS where 1+1 almost always equals 2 (unless we are talking about the different sedimentation values for Ribosomes). In verbal you are looking for the answer that isnt wrong. Often times an answer will seem very "right" but one aspect of it is clearly wrong, as compared to an answer that isnt wrong, but doesnt seem as right as that answer, these are meant to fool you. Choose the answer that isnt wrong.
I understand that I few of these tips may be at odds with each other. Ultimately you must adjust slightly for each passage, but it comes down to one thing. Read thoroughly. Read every sentence in the passage. Read every question. Read every answer. Then the correct answer will be fairly obvious. This may seem like it takes longer, but it takes much less time than skimming, and then trying to find the correct information later.

Or to summarize in one sentence

Understand what the hell the author is arguing

EDIT July 26, 2014:

@DoctorInASaree uploaded a guide to Verbal Reasoning. If you're interested, it's worth a look. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2byivymmqwlvjms/MCAT VR Primer DRSAREE.pdf

EDIT 2, July 26, 2014: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sn2d-first-day.1074344/page-52#post-15510851

The first day is BR physics chapter (translational motion) + 1/3 of the passages. I felt like I wasn't able to apply the stuff I read into the stuff I was tested on.

Has anyone felt this way when following the schedule? It just seems like the contents of the chapter didn't really stick in my head when I took the practice passages. Will this improve over time?

EDIT 3, March 4, 2015:

For verbal, if you are feeling lost and confused, I highly highly recommend you to look into the MCAT Strategy Course by @Jack Westin. I've been working with him, and nothing comes close to his course and teaching. It's a strategy course, so it will cover everything, not just the VR/CARS section.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Guys I would really recommend The notes of texasMdtobe if you guys cant get them tell me id post them

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys I would really recommend The notes of texasMdtobe if you guys cant get them tell me id post them
Where can i find it ?? I find making my own notes even though time consuming a tad bit more useful . But I would love to give this a try

Did you use them ?? and if so how useful did you find them ??? I loved that game Ken was my favorite and chun-Li my first crush lol.. Growing up in Jamaica we didn't get the latest games so the oldies were all we had! Still great game

No I didn't I just found them for you.

How important is scoring well on those 1/3 ?? I'm not doing so hot.. lol should I wait until the FL to judge myself ? and how has the FL been going for you @mehc012 thought you where going to do the #3 soon! Im cheering for you
I haven't had time...I haven't done ANY MCAT prep in days.
I guess I have had time, but I'm so upset at how much time I've wasted that I Netflix binge to distract myself and then I get more behind and...well, you know. I am so screwed right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't had time...I haven't done ANY MCAT prep in days.
I guess I have had time, but I'm so upset at how much time I've wasted that I Netflix binge to distract myself and then I get more behind and...well, you know. I am so screwed right now.
Ha ha don't worry you already said you have weird study habits and when you want to get work done you will so I think this is your way of taking a little break before jumping back in the game!

I havent taken a full break day for a while. It ends up becoming like half break day..
I definitely need one but was thinking of just spending these next couple days going over ALL my notes for physics, chem, bio and O-chem and working on the TPR science workbook passages for them before I take AAMC 3 on Monday..

What do you guys suggest?

I havent taken a full break day for a while. It ends up becoming like half break day..
I definitely need one but was thinking of just spending these next couple days going over ALL my notes for physics, chem, bio and O-chem and working on the TPR science workbook passages for them before I take AAMC 3 on Monday..

Highly recommend.

Im not the best when it comes to this stuff , but a break it more beneficial than over loading with review and content ... Trust me you wont see the burn out coming until your significant other or people close to you start mentioning how grumpy you're getting or until the headaches start coming along... Try and have some Me time , sometimes it does alot more for your grade than a extra review day

Oh trust me it's been worse than headaches. I have lately felt my left eye twitching more than normal. A weird sensation travels up the back, lefthand side of my head like my hair is being brushed and it kinda of.. idk... tickles? It's weird.

Not to mention I can't frickin' sleep at night cause all I do is talk about what I have to do for the MCAT studying the next day... what Ima do when this is over... what I hope I will get... idk man. I know people probably have it much worse than I do but jeez this is so stressful. I just want to get this process over with.

At times I'll hit a passage and I do so well on it and I'm hopeful. Then I encounter a set of passages I will get raped on. I haven't used any other book besides the TBR series so I'm thinking of using the next couple days to make that switch. I don't want any excuses from myself if I do not get the score I want. I know that the AAMC exams are the best indicators but the way my scores fluctuate through these TBR passages has me scared poopless. Idk.

I feel soo good after venting about all of this though! lol

Haven't taken a single break day since I started on May 26, except for maybe 3 days tops.
Game plan for now:
  • Finish content review by end of July
  • Review TBR FL #1. Based on results, review by rereading chapters, EK1001 madness, verbal practice, Anki, etc.
  • After reviewing TBR FL #1, aim to take at least 2-3 FL's per week.
  • Take TBR FL #2. Repeat analysis procedure
  • You get the idea.

Hm who knows. Maybe I'll write a new post on how to thoroughly review your FLs since I feel like I am good at that. I still need to make a post on my verbal strategy, which is similar to Sadist's but I think it's moderately different.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh trust me it's been worse than headaches. I have lately felt my left eye twitching more than normal. A weird sensation travels up the back, lefthand side of my head like my hair is being brushed and it kinda of.. idk... tickles? It's weird.

Not to mention I can't frickin' sleep at night cause all I do is talk about what I have to do for the MCAT studying the next day... what Ima do when this is over... what I hope I will get... idk man. I know people probably have it much worse than I do but jeez this is so stressful. I just want to get this process over with.

At times I'll hit a passage and I do so well on it and I'm hopeful. Then I encounter a set of passages I will get raped on. I haven't used any other book besides the TBR series so I'm thinking of using the next couple days to make that switch. I don't want any excuses from myself if I do not get the score I want. I know that the AAMC exams are the best indicators but the way my scores fluctuate through these TBR passages has me scared poopless. Idk.

Okay definitely take a break lol not saying burn yourself out!
I just say that because I went into AAMC 3 with a lot of nervous anxiety and absolutely bombed it. I bombed every single part of it terribly. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I haven't actively been reviewing and keeping up with previous material that I've forgotten, and focusing on trying to understand details for new chapters which is just a waste of time. Like the amount of time I spent stressing about the Nitrogen chapter in Ochem is absolutely ridiculous and stupid, and that time could have been better spent reviewing some hormones in bio.

So don't stress, just see where your study time is better spent than trying to follow a study schedule religiously. I think that was the wakeup call AAMC 3 gave me.

also I think you might need a exorcism lol feel like someone touching year hair :whoa:...

Also, @QueenJames, definitely try to calm down before AAMC. That nervous energy will not give you an active indication of your score. Go do something fun the day before that makes you forget about the MCAT.

Like vodka shots.

My girlfriend and I were having fights everyday and she recorded me one day and played it back to me in a message .. And i hear how annoyed at life I sounded and how grumpy and bitter this exam was making me feel.. I think you dont see the signs of burn out until its too late or someone shows it to you like my GF did. I can honestly say i have been performing better now with pacing myself and cutting myself a little slack .. And I look at it this way being a Full time doctor is going to be hard as hell as well so if I don't learn to pace myself now im going to be screwed later

Okay definitely take a break lol not saying burn yourself out!
I just say that because I went into AAMC 3 with a lot of nervous anxiety and absolutely bombed it. I bombed every single part of it terribly. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I haven't actively been reviewing and keeping up with previous material that I've forgotten, and focusing on trying to understand details for new chapters which is just a waste of time. Like the amount of time I spent stressing about the Nitrogen chapter in Ochem is absolutely ridiculous and stupid, and that time could have been better spent reviewing some hormones in bio.

So don't stress, just see where your study time is better spent than trying to follow a study schedule religiously. I think that was the wakeup call AAMC 3 gave me.

also I think you might need a exorcism lol feel like someone touching year hair :whoa:...

Last edited:
Dude @poop420, I totally had this moment this morning when I looked through my phone and the messages I had sent people yesterday after my FL. This test makes you crazy. It's a freaking test. At the end of the day, if you mess up you just learn how to not repeat that mistake. And you move on.

Also, @QueenJames, definitely try to calm down before AAMC. That nervous energy will not give you an active indication of your score. Go do something fun the day before that makes you forget about the MCAT.

Like vodka shots.

Lol Make them the Simply Orange Juice shots and I AM IN!

Lol thanks for the solid advice. That's what I'm thinking of doing. I was going to forego the O-chem mateiral except the basic essentials and focus more on Bio, and definitely get my physics and chem down. I haven't memorized most of the equations and need to do that. If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up receiving on AAMC 3? What about it threw you off?

Lol honestly this isn't the first time. I was MAJOR SUPERLY stressed out my first year when I took 19 units of all my first semester science pre-reqs (calc, physics, bio and chem) and I remember a couple nights before my final for physics I was just so tired from studying and memorizing and all that that I fell asleep... but wasn't asleep.. and literally felt as if I was hovering over myself. It was REALLY weird. I felt a voice in the room and honestly like a weird "spirit" or "force" brush my head and literally like pat my head as if It was telling me to calm down and just relax. To this day I still believe it was the spirit of my dad, who passed away the year before I began college. It was crazy and I tell you.. call me weird or whatever but that was trippy.
I had NEVER ever slept and woke up so refreshingly ever before that. Idk man. Things just happen I guess lol
awwww... Im not the superstitious type but I totally could see that being the case. But just try and relax a bit, it will make your life and the people around you much easier. I found out I have been retaining more and zipping through chapters faster with refreshing breaks .. And even if you don't want to take a entire day off find a little time for fun .I took my GF to lunch yesterday bought some fries sweet talked the waitress to make the chef melt cheese for us and had cheesy fries!! I only could spend about 2 hours with her but that was all I needed to feel re-energize to tackle the MCAT again and gave me something to smile about while studying at nights!!

Haven't taken a single break day since I started on May 26, except for maybe 3 days tops.
Game plan for now:
  • Finish content review by end of July
  • Review TBR FL #1. Based on results, review by rereading chapters, EK1001 madness, verbal practice, Anki, etc.
  • After reviewing TBR FL #1, aim to take at least 2-3 FL's per week.
  • Take TBR FL #2. Repeat analysis procedure
  • You get the idea.

Hm who knows. Maybe I'll write a new post on how to thoroughly review your FLs since I feel like I am good at that. I still need to make a post on my verbal strategy, which is similar to Sadist's but I think it's moderately different.

Dude if you have advice on good FL reviewing tactics that has helped you review, I would seriously love to hear it! Especially for Verbal.

How has everybody's eating schedule and diet been along this journey?

I pretty much just eat Greek yogurt, ground turkey with some shredded cheese on that thang.. almonds.. water... and Simply Orange juice and green tea all damn day.

d green tea all damn day.
When I was in Jamaica I always made fun of you Americans who were addicted to coffee now im averaging 3 cups a day. Chips and Popsicle lol my diet have gone downwards because of this exam. And I drink alot of beer at nights, so to sum it up my beautiful Caribbean body is gone!!

I pretty much just eat Greek yogurt, ground turkey with some shredded cheese on that thang.. almonds.. water... and Simply Orange juice and green tea all damn day.
Only the finest Heroin

I don't know about y'all, but the amount of food I was eating was insane. Especially during the last 3 weeks or so when I was taking full lengths. I literally ate a full meal before starting my exam, after PS, and verbal, and after BS. The closer I got to test date the more I ate. I literally became so concerned because I was always hungry and I thought I developed some kind of medical condition. During my actual test I ate 8 granola bars, bottle of Apple juice, an apple, a banana, Gatorade, bag of Gummi worms, snickers bar, and two cups of coffee. I also had a huge breakfast right before the exam consisting of oatmeal, whole grain bread, omelet made of 3 eggs, hummus, and a banana plus coffee. I didn't gain any weight either!

those notes from what I looked at are great for some last minute brush up.

Thank you all for the positive reception! I'm going to organize the document this evening, and create a Table of Contents, so that you can pick and choose which sections are of interest to you.

I co-wrote a primer on philosophy and political institutions a few years ago, and I was thinking of adding that to the VR primer. If you aren't comfortable with philosophy/poli science - I mean, with all due respect, some if not most philosophers are quite dense - then that primer may cover your bases.

@TexasSurgeon - Can you wait for me to post the updated version this evening? I promise it will be a lot more presentable. I'm honored by the way!

Oh, and it would make my day, if someone were to steal the first post on Page 47 from Mr Specter :D
Damn Saree

1192p0i.gif

Oh my goodness, what is that? I'm equal parts scared and amused.

Haha its a show called Dinosaurs. Used to crack me up all the time. I think its on Netflix now.

From all this studying the only thing I think I have gained is some culture from all of these VR passages. The sheer randomness of subjects has exposed me to ideas/topics I never thought were intellectually discussed...

Anyone else notice that some of the random passages have been applicable to conversations you've had during the course of the study schedule?

Reactions: 3 users
From all this studying the only thing I think I have gained is some culture from all of these VR passages. The sheer randomness of subjects has exposed me to ideas/topics I never thought were intellectually discussed...

Anyone else notice that some of the random passages have been applicable to conversations you've had during the course of the study schedule?

I also find myself disregarding anyone's argument that uses the words "always" or "never"

Ryu got bit today at the dog park :(

I actually stopped bringing my pup to the dog park because of this. You have no idea what kind of temperament the other dogs have. No matter how good your dog is. Chances are the crappy dogs have crappier owners too... and you have to deal with them.

I hope your pup feels better soon!

BTW, having a dog is the absolute best when your studying... I would not be able to be as successful as I am if it weren't for him keeping me company

I also find myself disregarding anyone's argument that uses the words "always" or "never"

This. Whenever I am discussing something now, it is never a tangible/strong worded idea. Rather it is an idea with "softeners" so I can never be wrong! Thanks MCAT.