SN2'd first day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasSurgeon

I don't pay state taxes
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: This was supposed to be a thread about the first day of SN2. However as with all intelligent life, things evolve. This thread has now become a support page for people following the SN2 plan. You can think of it as Alcoholics Anonymous for people studying to take the MCAT using the SN2 plan.

EDIT July 1, 2014:
If you are interested in @mehc012's Anki Deck, DO NOT SEND A PM. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7if6wgaif98rkoa/mehc012 SN2edCh4s.apkg
**A NOTE: @mehc012 and several others (myself included) want to tell you guys that studying from another person's deck will probably not be as beneficial to you as creating your own cards. Yes you can take advantage of @mehc012's generosity, but you won't get the same advantage. Study the material. Create cards as you go along. You will find it more helpful to your studying. **

EDIT July 22, 2014:
The following is @TBRBiosadist's official MCAT Verbal Reasoning Strategy:
@TBRBiosadist's strategy that got [him] from a 7 average to scoring 13-15 average..

Spend the bulk of your time reading. Up to 3 minutes per passage.
  • Read the first and last paragraph thoroughly to begin with. Understand what the authors main point will be because 90% of questions require nothing more than a general idea.
  • After this, read the entire passage slowly enough where you dont feel like you need to reread sentences for understanding.
Next is just answer questions, there is a few tricks here that work about 90% of the time
  • Unless the passage is asking you about a specific detail, dont look back. READ EVERY ANSWER THOROUGLY AND THEN Answer what makes sense from the general point of the passage. Its very easy to prove a wrong answer to be somewhat correct if you dig hard enough, dont. Answer what your gut says and move onto the next question, dont contemplate to much. With that being said...
  • Answer like you were dropped on the head as a child. Alot of times if Im arguing between two answers, there is the answer that is 100% correct, and one that is 90% correct. Be an idoit and choose the one that seems like it is correct. However.....
  • "Always" is a word to avoid. If an answer uses this word, or definites like it, it is something to avoid. I would say 80% of the time the wishy washy answer is more correct then the highly affirmative one. This leads to my final point....
  • 100% of the time you are not actually looking for the "right" answer in verbal, this isnt PS or BS where 1+1 almost always equals 2 (unless we are talking about the different sedimentation values for Ribosomes). In verbal you are looking for the answer that isnt wrong. Often times an answer will seem very "right" but one aspect of it is clearly wrong, as compared to an answer that isnt wrong, but doesnt seem as right as that answer, these are meant to fool you. Choose the answer that isnt wrong.
I understand that I few of these tips may be at odds with each other. Ultimately you must adjust slightly for each passage, but it comes down to one thing. Read thoroughly. Read every sentence in the passage. Read every question. Read every answer. Then the correct answer will be fairly obvious. This may seem like it takes longer, but it takes much less time than skimming, and then trying to find the correct information later.

Or to summarize in one sentence

Understand what the hell the author is arguing

EDIT July 26, 2014:

@DoctorInASaree uploaded a guide to Verbal Reasoning. If you're interested, it's worth a look. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2byivymmqwlvjms/MCAT VR Primer DRSAREE.pdf

EDIT 2, July 26, 2014: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sn2d-first-day.1074344/page-52#post-15510851

The first day is BR physics chapter (translational motion) + 1/3 of the passages. I felt like I wasn't able to apply the stuff I read into the stuff I was tested on.

Has anyone felt this way when following the schedule? It just seems like the contents of the chapter didn't really stick in my head when I took the practice passages. Will this improve over time?

EDIT 3, March 4, 2015:

For verbal, if you are feeling lost and confused, I highly highly recommend you to look into the MCAT Strategy Course by @Jack Westin. I've been working with him, and nothing comes close to his course and teaching. It's a strategy course, so it will cover everything, not just the VR/CARS section.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I actually stopped bringing my pup to the dog park because of this. You have no idea what kind of temperament the other dogs have. No matter how good your dog is. Chances are the crappy dogs have crappier owners too... and you have to deal with them.

I hope your pup feels better soon!

BTW, having a dog is the absolute best when your studying... I would not be able to be as successful as I am if it weren't for him keeping me company

I would not have survived grad school without my dog. Such a major stress reliever. Frustrated, dog is always ready to play, always felt so much more relaxed afterwards.

Reactions: 1 users
I love doing my AAMC 3 post-game and realizing that I'm basically brilliant at analyzing a passage but need to go back and re-learn 5th grade math. Like how to add.

This is so beyond frustrating, especially under a time crunch. I always make really dumb mistakes and it seems to be even moreso the case here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love doing my AAMC 3 post-game and realizing that I'm basically brilliant at analyzing a passage but need to go back and re-learn 5th grade math. Like how to add.

This is so beyond frustrating, especially under a time crunch. I always make really dumb mistakes and it seems to be even moreso the case here.

I feel the same way. The important part is to realize you are making the mistakes NOW and not during the actual MCATs. Keep plowing ahead and use the mistakes to assure yourself that you won't make the mistake on the real deal! This is a good thing!

I woke up with a stomach virus today.
yay for Gatorade and bananas and feeling like poop.
tumblr_inline_n93svhLQJv1r79k32.gif

How did you do in AAMC3??? Was it similar to TBR passages ? are you finished with content review or you just wanted to see where you were?

Yikes not liking where my scores are heading guys.. took 11 today and got 10/7/11* (correction) again. PS and VR dropping, are AAMC 11 and 8 harder in those sections?

I think I might take a day off since I haven't taken one this month. I'll take Friday off and do AAMC 10 on Saturday.

Last edited:
Need some advice. I know myself, I take a while to retain information but when I get it I wont forget it .So I know I will not do well on passages after studying the chapters the same day. So my modification in the schedule is, instead of doing the passages skim the previous chapters to make the information stick . Then on break days and review days do the chapters in which I can identify my weakness more.. I also break my review days into 2 days. So Saturday I review all PS (physics and chem) and do the chapters for those passages. Then on Sunday do the passages for bio and chem and review chem as well.

Wow. I'm coming up on my 38th page of notes that I've taken from reviewing my passages. I have no intention of reading all these pages. It just helps me to remember the information to write/type stuff out again.

Need some advice. I know myself, I take a while to retain information but when I get it I wont forget it .So I know I will not do well on passages after studying the chapters the same day. So my modification in the schedule is, instead of doing the passages skim the previous chapters to make the information stick . Then on break days and review days do the chapters in which I can identify my weakness more.. I also break my review days into 2 days. So Saturday I review all PS (physics and chem) and do the chapters for those passages. Then on Sunday do the passages for bio and chem and review chem as well.
This sounds like you're going to burn out big time. I wouldn't do this. If it takes you a while to retain information, then your best bet is to do it in small bits like the SN2'ed schedule says. If you do everything in just 2 days, you're in for a rough 2 days, and then a rough next week reviewing all those passages.

lol I'm so ******ed- there's always those passages in BR where they questions go on to the second page. But when I'm doing my 2/3rs, I mark everything out with post-its beforehand, so as soon as I finish all the questions I think are there in a passage, I flip to the next passage. But I never remember that there's questions on the back of some of the pages...

Last edited:
Wow. I'm coming up on my 38th page of notes that I've taken from reviewing my passages. I have no intention of reading all these pages. It just helps me to remember the information to write/type stuff out again.

This sounds like you're going to burn out big time. I wouldn't do this. If it takes you a while to retain information, then your best bet is to do it in small bits like the SN2'ed schedule says. If you do everything in just 2 days, you're in for a rough 2 days, and then a rough next week reviewing all those passages.

lol I'm so ******ed- there's always those passages in BR where they questions go on to the second page. But when I'm doing my 2/3rs, I mark everything out with post-its beforehand, so as soon as I finish all the questions I think are there in a passage, I flip to the next passage. But I never remember that there's questions on the back of some of the pages...
:( :( I'm going to give it a try and see if it works out for me ... This Sn2d stuff isnt working out too well ,... So i will give it a try thanks for the input i value it alot

I actually stopped bringing my pup to the dog park because of this. You have no idea what kind of temperament the other dogs have. No matter how good your dog is. Chances are the crappy dogs have crappier owners too... and you have to deal with them.

I hope your pup feels better soon!

BTW, having a dog is the absolute best when your studying... I would not be able to be as successful as I am if it weren't for him keeping me company
Kill the person

So AAMC 5 is in
(14/14/15)

That damn picasso passage kept me from my precious 15 on verb, and that was because I spaced and stopped using my tecnique
And apparently I have problems with simple math and basic graphs for physics

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So AAMC 5 is in
(14/14/15)

That damn picasso passage kept me from my precious 15 on verb, and that was because I spaced and stopped using my tecnique
And apparently I have problems with simple math and basic graphs for physics

IdealisticJadedBighorn.gif

Eh i was at threshhold for each one of those scores. I made stupid mistakes, like being in a rush and messing up some fifth grade division, or saying an acidic pKA will be high (something I do constantly if Im out of it).

maybe if I get more than 5 hours of sleep i can eliminate those, just annoying really

Eh i was at threshhold for each one of those scores. I made stupid mistakes, like being in a rush and messing up some fifth grade division, or saying an acidic pKA will be high (something I do constantly if Im out of it).

maybe if I get more than 5 hours of sleep i can eliminate those, just annoying really

You're way more than fine... be careful about complaining when you're getting 40+ scores. People might form a lynch mob. ;)

ya, its stupid, I know. Its more just personal annoyance....and fear. All I need is a perfect storm of stupidity and nerves to really drag down my actual score and that keeps me up at night thinking about it

ya, its stupid, I know. Its more just personal annoyance....and fear. All I need is a perfect storm of stupidity and nerves to really drag down my actual score and that keeps me up at night thinking about it

You should not be up at night thinking about anything!!! You are scoring 40+ consistently. You are in the top 99%...even higher on some of your past performances. Strive for perfection, but letting it consume you is the opposite of success. If anything you should be up at night thinking about all the crap you DON'T have to worry about because you are scoring so high.

Mull this over a bit:

YegDuKR.png

edit: There are more people getting 5's on the MCAT than what you scored on AAMC's.

Man I'll be first in line for that mob lol especially the way my scores are going. Last 2 tests I've been having trouble with my pace which brings PS (bc of calculations) and VR down.. BS I've always been comfortable with anyways. But you're scores are fawking amazing bro!

I honestly want to meet the person who gets a 3 on the mcat lol.
I suffer from panic disorders and anxiety, its just how I am, but yes, that is reassuring. All I really want is above a 35, because that will get me into a fairly nice California school. I really dont want to go out of state.

I honestly want to meet the person who gets a 3 on the mcat lol.
I suffer from panic disorders and anxiety, its just how I am, but yes, that is reassuring. All I really want is above a 35, because that will get me into a fairly nice California school. I really dont want to go out of state.

Then IMHO, you should really be focusing on strategies to control those states of mind so it doesn't hamper your performance on the testing date. You clearly have a solid content AND conceptual background.

Soooooo.... more sleep and not chugging 300mg of caffiene before start and another 150 throughout?

:( :( I'm going to give it a try and see if it works out for me ... This Sn2d stuff isnt working out too well ,... So i will give it a try thanks for the input i value it alot
Try it out, but no longer than 3 days or so. When I first started SN2ed, I broke down in the first 2 weeks. I couldn't handle the format and like you, it takes me a while to get stuff. Just trust it'll work out. I changed it around like you for about 5 days but quickly dumped that and went back to the Sn2 and I can honestly say that there is a certain logic to SN2 that helps you memorize stuff.

You should not be up at night thinking about anything!!! You are scoring 40+ consistently. You are in the top 99%...even higher on some of your past performances. Strive for perfection, but letting it consume you is the opposite of success. If anything you should be up at night thinking about all the crap you DON'T have to worry about because you are scoring so high.

Mull this over a bit:

YegDuKR.png

edit: There are more people getting 5's on the MCAT than what you scored on AAMC's.

I'm quite skeptical of that chart, and I have seen it before. I know for a fact that people have scored a 43 (someone's friend in the June 21st thread). Therefore, 0.0% of MCAT test-takers scoring cannot be accurate, or at the very least, is not reflective of MCAT scores in 2014 (since no date is provided of the graph although I believe it's from 2012). Incidentally, I was telling my dad last night that 43 is essentially the highest score one can achieve on the MCAT.

FYI - I agree with everything you said; the chart gave me a funny feeling.

TBRBiosadist's score is achievable! You go and get it mister!

Last edited:
I'm quite skeptical of that chart, and I have seen it before. I know for a fact that people have scored a 43 (someone's friend in the June 21st thread). Therefore, 0.0% of MCAT test-takers scoring cannot be accurate, or at the very least, is not reflective of MCAT scores in 2014 (since no date is provided of the graph although I believe it's from 2012). Incidentally, I was telling my dad last night that 43 is essentially the highest score one can achieve on the MCAT.

FYI - I agree with everything you said; the chart gave me a funny feeling.

TBRBiosadist's score is achievable! You go and get it mister!

It's from AAMC for what it's worth

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85332/data/combined08.pdf

Just did the toilet passage and only got 1 question wrong on that. Probably gonna be a careless mistake, too.

if anyone's curious where to find it: pg. 99 on chapter 7 BR, passage V; 2014 berkeley books

Did anyone else feel like punching a baby in the face after doing TBR's EM passages? Seriously like what the hell.....I hope the real deal is nothing like this.

Hey guys, I apologize for randomly jumping into the middle of this conversation, but I see that you guys are pretty active on this thread and I was desparately looking for some advice/suggestions/recommendations! (I also didn't feel like making a new thread lol). So I'm finally starting to score 10s in both PS and BS (based on scores in AAMC 3 and 4). My test is in about a month, and I don't know what will be most efficient for me to do next. My strongest subject is genchem, and I usually do okay on the other sciences, but I feel like I just don't know enough biology and feel sort of rusty on the organic reactions still...

So my Q is...will I be better off with JUST doing practice problems (without any dedicated time for content review) and take my time to review those? Or should I first review the concepts/topics, then do practice problems and review them? I didn't do the SN2ed schedule because I unfortunately found out about it pretty late into my mcat prep...)

Thank you:)

Hey guys, I apologize for randomly jumping into the middle of this conversation, but I see that you guys are pretty active on this thread and I was desparately looking for some advice/suggestions/recommendations! (I also didn't feel like making a new thread lol). So I'm finally starting to score 10s in both PS and BS (based on scores in AAMC 3 and 4). My test is in about a month, and I don't know what will be most efficient for me to do next. My strongest subject is genchem, and I usually do okay on the other sciences, but I feel like I just don't know enough biology and feel sort of rusty on the organic reactions still...

So my Q is...will I be better off with JUST doing practice problems (without any dedicated time for content review) and take my time to review those? Or should I first review the concepts/topics, then do practice problems and review them? I didn't do the SN2ed schedule because I unfortunately found out about it pretty late into my mcat prep...)

If you have glaring weaknesses I suggest doing content review and trying to make sure you know your stuff. Don't want to waste a practice exam as a indicator on topics you already know you have a gap in knowledge about .. But the scores you are getting are pretty good for minimal content review so good job!

@TBRBiosadist could you enlighten us with a few lines on your FL post gaming? :D do you even do it lol
Its the most important part. I write out my reasoning for every question unless it is super obvious. I jeep a kickboxing bag in tthe room since I tend to get angry at myself alot lol.

Don't think that content review is that amazing. It isn't. Your scores will improve through lots of FLs and solid review of them

@TexasSurgeon Yeah, that's basically how I'm gotten my scores to improve so far (aside from Verbal..I still have a long way to go for that to go from a 7 o an 11 LOL). I think I'm just going to not review content for physics and gen chem. I'm still unsure of how to tackle bio...I might just skim over some TPR chapters just for giving myself the peace of mind for having done it.

@poop420 thank you! I actually have done about one month of content review (although I didn't plan well enough to inegrate practice problems with review). I took a Kaplan course, but I feel like I didn't learn much from it because I prioritized getting work done before my next class instead of actually learning the material. It feels like I wasted the entire summer and $2k :(

@TexasSurgeon Yeah, that's basically how I'm gotten my scores to improve so far (aside from Verbal..I still have a long way to go for that to go from a 7 o an 11 LOL). I think I'm just going to not review content for physics and gen chem. I'm still unsure of how to tackle bio...I might just skim over some TPR chapters just for giving myself the peace of mind for having done it.

@poop420 thank you! I actually have done about one month of content review (although I didn't plan well enough to inegrate practice problems with review). I took a Kaplan course, but I feel like I didn't learn much from it because I prioritized getting work done before my next class instead of actually learning the material. It feels like I wasted the entire summer and $2k :(

You should take about 2-3 FL's every week following your content review. Analyze each FL and read the appropriate chapters from TBR books. Then do EK1001 to solidify basic concepts, and do some BR passages for more of that.

Don't think that content review is that amazing. It isn't. Your scores will improve through lots of FLs and solid review of them

Ah @TexasSurgeon you inspire me

@poop420, I'll just finally say it on this thread, I got a 22 on AAMC 3. Pretty low moment of studying but I needed that kick to get off my high horse of thinking that I would be scoring 30+ automatically with my pre-req grades. Doing review now only three PS mistakes I made were actually concept, the rest were math and not reading the question. So that was rather reassuring, but also scary because it means that test taking conditions can throw me off my game, especially with VR because AAMC 3 was a huge wake up call in terms of test taking conditions for VR

I have a long road ahead of me but hopefully I will still be taking on 8/21 and cranking out a 35+ score. Maybe that's jaded but I'm going to work my tail off as much as possible to make that happen from here on out

Reactions: 5 users
My advice to anyone going into AAMC 3 that feels freaked out, take a break. I was really freaked out and I think it really impacted my performance because I almost cared about that score as much as the real test and it's literally just a practice test. Freaking out is going to do you no good and you need to seriously chill and just be able to keep your brain on for the test. I found that passages I thought I bombed because I "guessed" I did not bomb and in fact did incredibly well on because I reasoned. The passages I breezed through I bombed because I got overconfident, did not think logically, and was just shaking with nervousness trying to get through the test thinking that it was going to some sort of evaluation of me because it was giving me my tentative MCAT starting baseline. I called my dad after my score showed up and he told me he knew I was going to bomb it when I had called the night before because I was on edge with nervousness, so really TAKE A FREAKING BREAK IF YOU FEEL LIKE I DID

I will also say that I had no idea about timing on any of the sections starting out lol, so I got to question 30 on PS and I was like I have 10 minutes left? Oh, that's nice..educate yourself on timing and the amount of questions in each section. Most of you probably have and I'm an idiot but this really affected my scores

One more thing - if you see a passage don't get freaked out. I'm sure at this point everyone reading this has realized I have terrible test anxiety, but when I saw a hard passage I immediately panicked and doing post-game review I actually got all the questions right on most of my "hard passages." Keep your noodle on

My advice to anyone going into AAMC 3 that feels freaked out, take a break. I was really freaked out and I think it really impacted my performance because I almost cared about that score as much as the real test and it's literally just a practice test. Freaking out is going to do you no good and you need to seriously chill and just be able to keep your brain on for the test. I found that passages I thought I bombed because I "guessed" I did not bomb and in fact did incredibly well on because I reasoned. The passages I breezed through I bombed because I got overconfident, did not think logically, and was just shaking with nervousness trying to get through the test thinking that it was going to some sort of evaluation of me because it was giving me my tentative MCAT starting baseline. I called my dad after my score showed up and he told me he knew I was going to bomb it when I had called the night before because I was on edge with nervousness, so really TAKE A FREAKING BREAK IF YOU FEEL LIKE I DID

I will also say that I had no idea about timing on any of the sections starting out lol, so I got to question 30 on PS and I was like I have 10 minutes left? Oh, that's nice..educate yourself on timing and the amount of questions in each section. Most of you probably have and I'm an idiot but this really affected my scores

Thanks for the advice - I'll keep this in mind before I take AAMC 3.:)

One more thing - if you see a passage don't get freaked out. I'm sure at this point everyone reading this has realized I have terrible test anxiety, but when I saw a hard passage I immediately panicked and doing post-game review I actually got all the questions right on most of my "hard passages." Keep your noodle on
Keep your head up girl , no where but up to go from here !!

@poop420 Thank you so much :) preciate it, and for anyone whose trying to up their scores right now, I'm gonna share this lovely quote I found a few months ago on here when I started studying that I've hung up in my room as a reminder:

“Stop freaking out. 90% of the people here feel just as intimidated as you while they’re studying. You’re not alone. The thing you CAN do is find out what works for you. When TBR passages were killing me, I knew I had to go back and try to understand more. I mean… how many times can you see a projectile motion question ask you about mass and its effect on projectile velocity and still have it trip you up? How many times are you going to be like “oh I know the hormones and how they work. I just forgot for a second.” No… you don’t know… I’m being harsh because I’m kind of talking to myself here too. If you don’t know it immediately off the top of your head, you don’t know it. Go back and review the content. Don’t look at the answers and just move on. Watch videos. Draw diagrams. Apply it to different scenarios that you yourself make up. THAT is how you up your scores.”

Let's go be great

@poop420, I'll just finally say it on this thread, I got a 22 on AAMC 3. Pretty low moment of studying but I needed that kick to get off my high horse of thinking that I would be scoring 30+ automatically with my pre-req grades. Doing review now only three PS mistakes I made were actually concept, the rest were math and not reading the question. So that was rather reassuring, but also scary because it means that test taking conditions can throw me off my game, especially with VR because AAMC 3 was a huge wake up call in terms of test taking conditions for VR

I have a long road ahead of me but hopefully I will still be taking on 8/21 and cranking out a 35+ score. Maybe that's jaded but I'm going to work my tail off as much as possible to make that happen from here on out

Love your attitude! Keep it up!

Did anyone else feel like punching a baby in the face after doing TBR's EM passages? Seriously like what the hell.....I hope the real deal is nothing like this.
Remember Its just gravity and motion and energy equations with different letters

Saree I would be deeply surprised if you got below a 40 on 3. Your practicaly a superhero at this point. Si te puedes!

Speaking of superheroes...

@poop420 Thank you so much :) preciate it, and for anyone whose trying to up their scores right now, I'm gonna share this lovely quote I found a few months ago on here when I started studying that I've hung up in my room as a reminder:

“Stop freaking out. 90% of the people here feel just as intimidated as you while they’re studying. You’re not alone. The thing you CAN do is find out what works for you. When TBR passages were killing me, I knew I had to go back and try to understand more. I mean… how many times can you see a projectile motion question ask you about mass and its effect on projectile velocity and still have it trip you up? How many times are you going to be like “oh I know the hormones and how they work. I just forgot for a second.” No… you don’t know… I’m being harsh because I’m kind of talking to myself here too. If you don’t know it immediately off the top of your head, you don’t know it. Go back and review the content. Don’t look at the answers and just move on. Watch videos. Draw diagrams. Apply it to different scenarios that you yourself make up. THAT is how you up your scores.”

Let's go be great

I've been waiting for the right moment to use this one:

I0VDiN9.jpg

With that attitude you will reach your goal trust me!! Just keep at it. Actually lifted me up as well.. I've been down lately because of my scores on my last two tests (AAMC 8 and 11) and probably beating myself up more than I should but that's just how I am. Not gonna lie I almost shed a man tear today because of the disappointment after seeing my score. But like you said it's just a practice test! And good point on taking breaks, because you don't realize that you're burned out until it's too late. I've been running on empty all month and never gave myself a break day.

We can do this guys we're all in this together!!

With that attitude you will reach your goal trust me!! Just keep at it. Actually lifted me up as well.. I've been down lately because of my scores on my last two tests (AAMC 8 and 11) and probably beating myself up more than I should but that's just how I am. Not gonna lie I almost shed a man tear today because of the disappointment after seeing my score. But like you said it's just a practice test! And good point on taking breaks, because you don't realize that you're burned out until it's too late. I've been running on empty all month and never gave myself a break day.

We can do this guys we're all in this together!!

tumblr_inline_n93tjbFtR61r79k32.gif

Reactions: 2 users