SN2'd first day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasSurgeon

I don't pay state taxes
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: This was supposed to be a thread about the first day of SN2. However as with all intelligent life, things evolve. This thread has now become a support page for people following the SN2 plan. You can think of it as Alcoholics Anonymous for people studying to take the MCAT using the SN2 plan.

EDIT July 1, 2014:
If you are interested in @mehc012's Anki Deck, DO NOT SEND A PM. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7if6wgaif98rkoa/mehc012 SN2edCh4s.apkg
**A NOTE: @mehc012 and several others (myself included) want to tell you guys that studying from another person's deck will probably not be as beneficial to you as creating your own cards. Yes you can take advantage of @mehc012's generosity, but you won't get the same advantage. Study the material. Create cards as you go along. You will find it more helpful to your studying. **

EDIT July 22, 2014:
The following is @TBRBiosadist's official MCAT Verbal Reasoning Strategy:
@TBRBiosadist's strategy that got [him] from a 7 average to scoring 13-15 average..

Spend the bulk of your time reading. Up to 3 minutes per passage.
  • Read the first and last paragraph thoroughly to begin with. Understand what the authors main point will be because 90% of questions require nothing more than a general idea.
  • After this, read the entire passage slowly enough where you dont feel like you need to reread sentences for understanding.
Next is just answer questions, there is a few tricks here that work about 90% of the time
  • Unless the passage is asking you about a specific detail, dont look back. READ EVERY ANSWER THOROUGLY AND THEN Answer what makes sense from the general point of the passage. Its very easy to prove a wrong answer to be somewhat correct if you dig hard enough, dont. Answer what your gut says and move onto the next question, dont contemplate to much. With that being said...
  • Answer like you were dropped on the head as a child. Alot of times if Im arguing between two answers, there is the answer that is 100% correct, and one that is 90% correct. Be an idoit and choose the one that seems like it is correct. However.....
  • "Always" is a word to avoid. If an answer uses this word, or definites like it, it is something to avoid. I would say 80% of the time the wishy washy answer is more correct then the highly affirmative one. This leads to my final point....
  • 100% of the time you are not actually looking for the "right" answer in verbal, this isnt PS or BS where 1+1 almost always equals 2 (unless we are talking about the different sedimentation values for Ribosomes). In verbal you are looking for the answer that isnt wrong. Often times an answer will seem very "right" but one aspect of it is clearly wrong, as compared to an answer that isnt wrong, but doesnt seem as right as that answer, these are meant to fool you. Choose the answer that isnt wrong.
I understand that I few of these tips may be at odds with each other. Ultimately you must adjust slightly for each passage, but it comes down to one thing. Read thoroughly. Read every sentence in the passage. Read every question. Read every answer. Then the correct answer will be fairly obvious. This may seem like it takes longer, but it takes much less time than skimming, and then trying to find the correct information later.

Or to summarize in one sentence

Understand what the hell the author is arguing

EDIT July 26, 2014:

@DoctorInASaree uploaded a guide to Verbal Reasoning. If you're interested, it's worth a look. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2byivymmqwlvjms/MCAT VR Primer DRSAREE.pdf

EDIT 2, July 26, 2014: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sn2d-first-day.1074344/page-52#post-15510851

The first day is BR physics chapter (translational motion) + 1/3 of the passages. I felt like I wasn't able to apply the stuff I read into the stuff I was tested on.

Has anyone felt this way when following the schedule? It just seems like the contents of the chapter didn't really stick in my head when I took the practice passages. Will this improve over time?

EDIT 3, March 4, 2015:

For verbal, if you are feeling lost and confused, I highly highly recommend you to look into the MCAT Strategy Course by @Jack Westin. I've been working with him, and nothing comes close to his course and teaching. It's a strategy course, so it will cover everything, not just the VR/CARS section.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I had a really rough physics 2 class last semester so just keep in mind this stuff was really hard for me too, I'm just two months out of it instead a year out of it, but the class pushed me really hard and I learned a ton that has really helped me in studying.

So when you have something like a converging lens, memorize when it creates an upright and virtual image in respect to distance of the object from the focal length (TBR has a really great few pages on this). Memorize that diverging will always be virtual and upright, so on and so forth for a mirror.

I think drawing out some of the ray diagrams just to learn the concepts if you are really struggling, especially on a whiteboard, really helps. in my physics class we were required to know the ray diagrams and tested over drawing them from memory for any condition, so I had to have them down pat (keyword being had - i still have to refresh for the MCAT, I've been putting off the optics chapter at the moment because I just have to go back and memorize stuff and I'm being lazy lol). I think knowing the ray diagrams allows you to understand the relationship the image and the object have with the shape of the mirror or the lens, and understand why something is is a virtual or a real image. Definitely don't use this strategy on the actual exam, but if you're struggling in understanding WHY an object past 2f will produce an inverted image, draw out that ray diagram.

I haven't looked at TBR's shortcuts in calculating do, di, etc. but I might just continue to eyeball the thin lens equation because I'm so used to using it but I'll keep you guys updated on this one. Their strategies have been great thus far though so I'm sure with practice I'll start using it as well.

Hope this helped! If it didn't feel free to let me know where to expand and I'll try my best. I'm better at magnetism because it really gave me a lot of trouble and there were many hours spent struggling over circuits, electricity, and magnets. Like the stupid right hand rule. I hate that thing.

Reactions: 2 users
Nice! Did you feel like you went up in body fat because you got older or did your workout routine change?

Yeah I squat stuff on leg day. Dead lifts are just a pain in the ass and I haven't done them for like almost a month. They're pretty risky if you don't have form down. Clean bulking is definitely a lot more work! But you gotta have like one cheat meal every week or something

Lolol it can be harder to approach girls while working out since they may just assume you're trying to and block you off

Deadlifts are definitely scary! I always cringe when I see some dude pulling massive weight with bad form. IIFYM is really popular among bodybuilders. But I agree, clean eating and having a cheat meal once in a while is more practical.

Most of the weight gain came from a dramatic change in diet. I took fasting to the extreme and while there were considerable benefits to it, once I got back to eating normally the weight came back fast! It didn't help that I got used to eating large meals every time also. So yeah if you're going to fast give yourself a reasonable eating window. I know hugh jackman used this type of diet to prepare for his x-men movies and even afterwards he still loved it enough to stick to it.

I did heavy lifting during the winter until May. I was 215 at 18% body fat. I then cue down to 195, I haven't measured my body fat yet at this weight, I'd guess around 10-11%.

Heavy compound lifting is what gets my weight up and down the easiest because it works so many muscles at once. Squats and deadlifts are my favorite in bulking season, I don't like them when I cut since I get exhausted during cutting season from a deficiency in calories.

I'm a naturally heavy dude, I've been an athlete my whole life so the gym is my domain.

That's impressive! Did you notice a big change in your face when you lost that much fat? Honestly they should have more barbell stations instead of more machines in gyms. I played sports for a bit as well, I wish I knew the simple concept of taking in more calories to bulk up because that would have helped soo much with my speed and power when I was trying to build strength. When you cut/bulk how does your productivity with regards to studying change? Because my experience has been studying was waay easier and more focused while on a cut. Talking with you guys motivated me to get back into it and give the diet and workouts 100% while studying for the mcat because honestly my best semesters was when I was able to consistent log in hours in the gym and not eat crap.

Man mech's comment made me LOL. But to me studying and working out goes hand in hand. A good diet + moderate activity will go a long way when studying for the mcat. I have some friends though that can be productive, study, and focus without having to eat clean or workout. I tried that lifestyle out a while ago...did not go so well haha.

Reactions: 1 users
Hate the word "Cheat meal" life is for the living . Be smart, eat smart and have fun.. Think working out and healthiness is a personal thing so if you have a burger today or a beer tomorrow you aren't really cheating yourself because it is yourself who wanted those stuff in the first place.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hate the word "Cheat meal" life is for the living . Be smart, eat smart and have fun.. Think working out and healthiness is a personal thing so if you have a burger today or a beer tomorrow you aren't really cheating yourself because it is yourself who wanted those stuff in the first place.
I keep a good diet specifically so that if something delicious is in front of me I can go ham on it....then again my average cal is about 3000

I think this thread should be renamed "Premeds: Proof that you can be the smartest person in the room and built like a greek god."

Oh and how I imagine a converging lens which always helps me. Start with the object far away. The image will be close to the lens and small. As you bring the object closer the image goes farther away and gets larger. Once you hit the focal length the image goes to infinity before all the ray lines rotate around to form a larger image behind the object. Diverging is just SUV Smaller Upright Virtual

I'm about 6 foot, 160 pounds, no glasses, short ivy league hair cut with the front usually gelled up, and in more than moderately good shape. Did you forgot that I come from a family of professional/competitive physique models and bodybuilders? :p
But doesnt "model" and "Swedish" essentially mean the same thing.

Really though, you're a country of ridiculously attractive people.

@SwedishMD2B
tumblr_lyyfmna6fT1r6hhp3o1_500.gif

Does anyone happen to know if you take a Sept. test if you would be able to re-take before the test changes? (Not that I am at all aiming to study for/take this test twice..) I was under the impression that many of the remaining seats would be filled up by the time you get your Sept scores back and you would have to take the new test. Any input would be appreciated!

Does anyone happen to know if you take a Sept. test if you would be able to re-take before the test changes? (Not that I am at all aiming to study for/take this test twice..) I was under the impression that many of the remaining seats would be filled up by the time you get your Sept scores back and you would have to take the new test. Any input would be appreciated!

You can. However whether or not you have seats open depend on different factors like your city. You should be able to find a seat, maybe not in your ideal location and time but I'm quite certain you should be able to find something.

You can. However whether or not you have seats open depend on different factors like your city. You should be able to find a seat, maybe not in your ideal location and time but I'm quite certain you should be able to find something.

SoCal here so possibly not gonna have a great finding a convenient location. Thanks though, that's really helpful to know.

Screw it im going back to doing the passages! @Texas I dont know if the post you did earlier was directed at me but it really gotten to my head and I decided to stick with the schedule and do passages along the way . ... I think I was just being lazy . I need to rework my studying so I finish a bit earlier so I can do the practice passages I might even try some TPR SW in there iif I dont feel overwhelmed !!! I realized this was just a excuse for me to be lazy... Well I needed to kick myself in the b*tt.. Almost 3 months to my exam so its hammer time !
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Screw it im going back to doing the passages! @Texas I dont know if the post you did earlier was directed at me but it really gotten to my head and I decided to stick with the schedule and do passages along the way . ... I think I was just being lazy . I need to rework my studying so I finish a bit earlier so I can do the practice passages I might even try some TPR SW in there iif I dont feel overwhelmed !!! I realized this was just a excuse for me to be lazy... Well I needed to kick myself in the b*tt.. Almost 3 months to my exam so its hammer time !
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
@TexasSurgeon you inspired me to actually do my 2nd 2/3s at work this morning

Posted using SDN Mobile

@SwedishMD2B you have some relationship with arabs for sure, let me guess your neighbor is a Lebanese with a hookah in his mout all week long, while shouting at his children.

:luck::D:D:D:D:D:D:DHi Everyone!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:luck:

:soexcited:I have completed the second draft of my Verbal primer! :soexcited:I strongly recommend reading Part I, and Part III if you would like an in-depth review of arguments and fallacies.

Part II is an introduction, of a sort, to political institutions/frameworks, market mechanisms, etc. I have come across many passages dealing with philosophy and the state, and I found it quite helpful to review my old notes!

My primer will present, to you, my perspective on how I approach Verbal passages. From the bottom of my heart I hope that it helps you in your journey as you attempt to master the Verbal Reasoning section of the MCAT.

All the best,
DoctorInASaree :flame::love:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2byivymmqwlvjms/MCAT VR Primer DRSAREE.pdf

Note: This is only ( :eek: ) the 2nd draft. If you have any value to add to this document please let me know! I suspect I will update this document in a week or two.

This is fantastic, @DoctorInASaree !! Thank you for taking the time to meticulously craft this. Not intending to ask too much of you, I would love to see something similar in terms of how you apply your post-analysis on the science passages and their questions : )

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
Haha sorry I just saw this since you quoted the wrong guy! Apparently the guy named "Texas" has been in here since 1999 lolol

@TexasSurgeon you inspired me to actually do my 2nd 2/3s at work this morning

Posted using SDN Mobile
Hahaha well hopefully it helps! And I haven't actually read the optics chapter but when I do I'll let you know where my problems are haha. It seems like you're good at that optics stuff

That feeling when you get to a passage and have no idea wtf it is talking about:

fu5VqO3.gif

Just a shout out to the schedule.
I followed it, crammed chapters 3-10 in 3.5 weeks, didn't do the hat trick, and took 4 practice test.
Got a 33. It works, just get through it.
Mind you, when I took the mcat, it was 4 years since I took physics in high school, and I got PS=12; V=11; BS=10 (some help my bio degree was).

How did you learn ?

Lived in Sweden, went to a British school, took 5 years of French, 1 year of Arabic plus lots of Arabic conversation group and arabic immersion with Arabs and Rosetta stone, 1 year of Hindi classes plus Rosetta stone. Learned some Korean from friends and a roommate :)

Reactions: 3 users
Just a shout out to the schedule.
I followed it, crammed chapters 3-10 in 3.5 weeks, didn't do the hat trick, and took 4 practice test.
Got a 33. It works, just get through it.
Mind you, when I took the mcat, it was 4 years since I took physics in high school, and I got PS=12; V=11; BS=10 (some help my bio degree was).
Wait elaborate pls
So you took 4 tests? How'd you do on them? I'm guessing you found the tests to be more helpful than content review?

Lived in Sweden, went to a British school, took 5 years of French, 1 year of Arabic plus lots of Arabic conversation group and arabic immersion with Arabs and Rosetta stone, 1 year of Hindi classes plus Rosetta stone. Learned some Korean from friends and a roommate :)

I hope your arabic accent is just as good as your writing

Namaste! Ap kaise hein? :D

Mein tumara kutte pasand hai :p

Damn.

Mein theek houn. And I think you need to work on your Hindi grammar ;)

I need my Devanagari! My "hinglish" is terrible. I inadvertently leave out words I can't spell; resulting in broken speech.

I don't know how to write ko/kho/qo, and I thought theek is teek.

Yeah seriously saree no hate but grammar girl!!!

Posted using SDN Mobile

I go to great lengths to "grammar-nazi proof" everything I say, type, etc. I'm going to go cry in the corner now:(

I need my Devanagari! My "hinglish" is terrible. I inadvertently leave out words I can't spell; resulting in broken speech.

I don't know how to write ko/kho/qo, and I thought theek is teek.

I go to great lengths to "grammar-nazi proof" everything I say, type, etc. I'm going to go cry in the corner now:(
I'm just kidding ha, my cousins make fun of me so much for my grammar and I think I'm hot stuff with the way I speak it. From your primer it's clear you can pretty much school me in your knowledge of any subject ever, sooooo no worries, please come out of that corner and continue being awesome ;)

Posted using SDN Mobile

Woo this thread proves to be richer by the day, @orangetea you speak arabic too ? Anybody speaks french too ?

yes I speak/read/write farsi and arabic. This thread is more middle eastern than I originally thought.. but then again if you're middle eastern you're either a doctor, lawyer, or engineer.. and if those don't work out you're in real estate ;)

Reactions: 5 users
yes I speak/read/write farsi and arabic. This thread is more middle eastern than I originally thought.. but then again if you're middle eastern you're either a doctor, lawyer, or engineer.. and if those don't work out you're in real estate ;)

OOOoooOOoo Farsi, so exotic! Khoobi khanoum?!

At least you have some solid job opportunities for the FBI/CIA. They would love you.

Wait elaborate pls
So you took 4 tests? How'd you do on them? I'm guessing you found the tests to be more helpful than content review?

I got all the material in August of 2013, and started the 4 month schedule in mid September (My MCAT date was January 25th). From September to December I was only able to get through about chapter 3 of all the subjects (ochem, gen-chem, bio, and physics). On December 28th is when I started doing nothing but MCAT for 15 hours a day (Starbucks was open from 6 AM to 9PM), and I would sleep from 10 to 5:30ish. In this way I was averaging somewhere between 2.5-3 chapters a day (as in chapter 4 of physics, chapter 4 of gen chem, and at least read chapter 4 of bio). The review days took up an entire day still.

Once classes started again, I just had 2 chapters left and a week + 3 days until the exam. I finished the last 2 chapters, and for 2 entire days I went over all the material I had written down (so for every single chapter, I would write down all important information and relationships on one page) and I made a single page review for the entire MCAT. It had every single relationship, equations, and tricky concept for myself. I reviewed that page 2 times a day roughly.

With 5 days left, I started doing AAMC practice test, and did 8-11. I would take the test, review my page, and write equations over and over again to memorize them. The next day, I would review my single page, go over the practice test from the day before, take a break, then take a new practice test. Wash, rinse, repeat. (Mt average of the practice test was a 32.5) I had the day before the exam to just go over my page and I looked all all pictures that I felt would be commonly found on the MCAT.

Slept well, went to the test listening to Eric Thomas to establish my confidence, and took the test with a demeanor that made the proctor think I was high (very relaxed).

To clarify, I did NOT do the last 1/3 of each chapter like the schedule says to. So all in all, I went through all the content, reviewed it for some days, took practice test, and got a decent score. No hat trick.

I got all the material in August of 2013, and started the 4 month schedule in mid September (My MCAT date was January 25th). From September to December I was only able to get through about chapter 3 of all the subjects (ochem, gen-chem, bio, and physics). On December 28th is when I started doing nothing but MCAT for 15 hours a day (Starbucks was open from 6 AM to 9PM), and I would sleep from 10 to 5:30ish. In this way I was averaging somewhere between 2.5-3 chapters a day (as in chapter 4 of physics, chapter 4 of gen chem, and at least read chapter 4 of bio). The review days took up an entire day still.

Once classes started again, I just had 2 chapters left and a week + 3 days until the exam. I finished the last 2 chapters, and for 2 entire days I went over all the material I had written down (so for every single chapter, I would write down all important information and relationships on one page) and I made a single page review for the entire MCAT. It had every single relationship, equations, and tricky concept for myself. I reviewed that page 2 times a day roughly.

With 5 days left, I started doing AAMC practice test, and did 8-11. I would take the test, review my page, and write equations over and over again to memorize them. The next day, I would review my single page, go over the practice test from the day before, take a break, then take a new practice test. Wash, rinse, repeat. (Mt average of the practice test was a 32.5) I had the day before the exam to just go over my page and I looked all all pictures that I felt would be commonly found on the MCAT.

Slept well, went to the test listening to Eric Thomas to establish my confidence, and took the test with a demeanor that made the proctor think I was high (very relaxed).

To clarify, I did NOT do the last 1/3 of each chapter like the schedule says to. So all in all, I went through all the content, reviewed it for some days, took practice test, and got a decent score. No hat trick.
You are insane and also kind of my new idol.

Any tips on verbal?

Reactions: 3 users

Listening to Eric Thomas is the best! I haven't listened to him in awhile but he gets me fired up.

Why is that awkward? Lol I was simply curious

Oh no I was saying it's awkward for me at least.. every time I check that box because I don't physically or internally identify with it. Sometimes when I feel like breaking the rules I just check other and fill in the blank..