SN2'd first day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasSurgeon

I don't pay state taxes
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: This was supposed to be a thread about the first day of SN2. However as with all intelligent life, things evolve. This thread has now become a support page for people following the SN2 plan. You can think of it as Alcoholics Anonymous for people studying to take the MCAT using the SN2 plan.

EDIT July 1, 2014:
If you are interested in @mehc012's Anki Deck, DO NOT SEND A PM. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7if6wgaif98rkoa/mehc012 SN2edCh4s.apkg
**A NOTE: @mehc012 and several others (myself included) want to tell you guys that studying from another person's deck will probably not be as beneficial to you as creating your own cards. Yes you can take advantage of @mehc012's generosity, but you won't get the same advantage. Study the material. Create cards as you go along. You will find it more helpful to your studying. **

EDIT July 22, 2014:
The following is @TBRBiosadist's official MCAT Verbal Reasoning Strategy:
@TBRBiosadist's strategy that got [him] from a 7 average to scoring 13-15 average..

Spend the bulk of your time reading. Up to 3 minutes per passage.
  • Read the first and last paragraph thoroughly to begin with. Understand what the authors main point will be because 90% of questions require nothing more than a general idea.
  • After this, read the entire passage slowly enough where you dont feel like you need to reread sentences for understanding.
Next is just answer questions, there is a few tricks here that work about 90% of the time
  • Unless the passage is asking you about a specific detail, dont look back. READ EVERY ANSWER THOROUGLY AND THEN Answer what makes sense from the general point of the passage. Its very easy to prove a wrong answer to be somewhat correct if you dig hard enough, dont. Answer what your gut says and move onto the next question, dont contemplate to much. With that being said...
  • Answer like you were dropped on the head as a child. Alot of times if Im arguing between two answers, there is the answer that is 100% correct, and one that is 90% correct. Be an idoit and choose the one that seems like it is correct. However.....
  • "Always" is a word to avoid. If an answer uses this word, or definites like it, it is something to avoid. I would say 80% of the time the wishy washy answer is more correct then the highly affirmative one. This leads to my final point....
  • 100% of the time you are not actually looking for the "right" answer in verbal, this isnt PS or BS where 1+1 almost always equals 2 (unless we are talking about the different sedimentation values for Ribosomes). In verbal you are looking for the answer that isnt wrong. Often times an answer will seem very "right" but one aspect of it is clearly wrong, as compared to an answer that isnt wrong, but doesnt seem as right as that answer, these are meant to fool you. Choose the answer that isnt wrong.
I understand that I few of these tips may be at odds with each other. Ultimately you must adjust slightly for each passage, but it comes down to one thing. Read thoroughly. Read every sentence in the passage. Read every question. Read every answer. Then the correct answer will be fairly obvious. This may seem like it takes longer, but it takes much less time than skimming, and then trying to find the correct information later.

Or to summarize in one sentence

Understand what the hell the author is arguing

EDIT July 26, 2014:

@DoctorInASaree uploaded a guide to Verbal Reasoning. If you're interested, it's worth a look. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2byivymmqwlvjms/MCAT VR Primer DRSAREE.pdf

EDIT 2, July 26, 2014: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sn2d-first-day.1074344/page-52#post-15510851

The first day is BR physics chapter (translational motion) + 1/3 of the passages. I felt like I wasn't able to apply the stuff I read into the stuff I was tested on.

Has anyone felt this way when following the schedule? It just seems like the contents of the chapter didn't really stick in my head when I took the practice passages. Will this improve over time?

EDIT 3, March 4, 2015:

For verbal, if you are feeling lost and confused, I highly highly recommend you to look into the MCAT Strategy Course by @Jack Westin. I've been working with him, and nothing comes close to his course and teaching. It's a strategy course, so it will cover everything, not just the VR/CARS section.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Oh no I was saying it's awkward for me at least.. every time I check that box because I don't physically or internally identify with it. Sometimes when I feel like breaking the rules I just check other and fill in the blank..

Lol I take no offense of course. But if you saw me walking down the street you would probably think I'm white. Although I don't identify with it either.

Is being middle Eastern considered a URM?

Loool. Definitely not! Lots of middle eastern docs. However, I know many Egyptians cheat the system selecting African-American because Egypt is in Africa, but they are middle-eastern so they are supposed to select white according to the rules.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Deadlifts are definitely scary! I always cringe when I see some dude pulling massive weight with bad form. IIFYM is really popular among bodybuilders. But I agree, clean eating and having a cheat meal once in a while is more practical.

Most of the weight gain came from a dramatic change in diet. I took fasting to the extreme and while there were considerable benefits to it, once I got back to eating normally the weight came back fast! It didn't help that I got used to eating large meals every time also. So yeah if you're going to fast give yourself a reasonable eating window. I know hugh jackman used this type of diet to prepare for his x-men movies and even afterwards he still loved it enough to stick to it.

That's impressive! Did you notice a big change in your face when you lost that much fat? Honestly they should have more barbell stations instead of more machines in gyms. I played sports for a bit as well, I wish I knew the simple concept of taking in more calories to bulk up because that would have helped soo much with my speed and power when I was trying to build strength. When you cut/bulk how does your productivity with regards to studying change? Because my experience has been studying was waay easier and more focused while on a cut. Talking with you guys motivated me to get back into it and give the diet and workouts 100% while studying for the mcat because honestly my best semesters was when I was able to consistent log in hours in the gym and not eat crap.

Man mech's comment made me LOL. But to me studying and working out goes hand in hand. A good diet + moderate activity will go a long way when studying for the mcat. I have some friends though that can be productive, study, and focus without having to eat clean or workout. I tried that lifestyle out a while ago...did not go so well haha.

I never noticed the change in my face until my parents told me that my face looks skinny and that I should start eating more lol. I think it's easier when I cut to study, simply because I study better when I don't eat a lot. When I'm bulking I'm constantly eating and lifting so it doesn't help as much for studying.

Loool. Definitely not! Lots of middle eastern docs. However, I know many Egyptians cheat the system selecting African-American because Egypt is in Africa, but they are middle-eastern so they are supposed to select white according to the rules.

My girlfriend is white and from South Africa, but a naturalized citizen of the USA. I was trying to convince her to put African American on her application.... she refused.

@SwedishMD2B and how does that differ ?

Uhh, because they are not African-American as a race. It's asking about race not continent. African americans are from Africa and South America and Caribbeans. The AAMC and the US government defines white as "White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa." It's on the Whitehouse.gov website, and the AAMC tells you to go there and read it if you want more details. So thats why, and AAMC tells you to follow that definition. Egypt clearly falls in north Africa, which is considered white. So it's very unethical to mark off African-American when you clearly are not, and the AAMC clarifies that you are not. It blows my mind that people get away with that.

Last edited:
Uhh, because they are not African-American as a race. It's asking about race not continent. African americans are from Africa and South America and Caribbeans. The AAMC and the US government defines white as "White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa." It's on the Whitehouse.gov website, and the AAMC tell you to go there and read it if you want more details. So thats why, and AAMC tells you to follow that definition. Egypt clearly falls in north Africa, which is considered white. So it's very unethical to mark off African-American when you clearly are not, and the AAMC clarifies that you are not. It blows my mind that people get away with that.

I was kidding. Just trying (unsuccessfully) to make a few people laugh.

And she probably doesn't want to get blacklisted by the AAMC.

She is actually already in school and not for medicine. Just a professional doctorate.

Lol that was for ramires

3n2GUYF.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Uhh, because they are not African-American as a race. It's asking about race not continent. African americans are from Africa and South America and Caribbeans. The AAMC and the US government defines white as "White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa." It's on the Whitehouse.gov website, and the AAMC tells you to go there and read it if you want more details. So thats why, and AAMC tells you to follow that definition. Egypt clearly falls in north Africa, which is considered white. So it's very unethical to mark off African-American when you clearly are not, and the AAMC clarifies that you are not. It blows my mind that people get away with that.
Alot of Caribbean people dont like to be identified as "African American" because
1. Alot of us aren't even Americans we just reside here
2. Feels the term somewhat lessens the sacrifices great leaders such as Marcus Garvey, Claude McKay and other Caribbean people did for us to gain our identity .. We are generations down the line of Africans like alot of European descendant.
3. People are stupid
Anytime someone calls me African American i cringe a little inside but now I know its done because its the norm here

My girlfriend is white and from South Africa, but a naturalized citizen of the USA. I was trying to convince her to put African American on her application.... she refused.

Haha, I am of the same origin as your gf. White, born in SA, and naturalized in 1999 as a US citizen.

Did you guys always time your first 1/3

NO! And I would personally advise you not to. Use the first time to really solidify your knowledge. Take it slow. Think it out. You will gain much more from your review if you take your time when doing it. During the 2nd go through, try hard to move faster, but even then don't worry too much about timing. Be aware, but don't stress. By the third go through I think you should be more concerned with timing, but if you know your stuff, it won't even be an issue by the final 1/3rd.

So far... according to TBR's scale... I have achieved a bomb score of 7 on the first chapter of physics and a 7 on the first chapter of chem! yay!

:( This effing sucks.

You are insane and also kind of my new idol.

Any tips on verbal?

I literally had one shot to take the Mcat. There was no second test option for me, so really I was just desperate haha.

Verbal was a huge surprise for me actually. I did 3 passages every chapter and alternated between ek 101, tprhl, and Berkley review. Once I got really close to the test, I went to ek 101 exclusively.

I was getting on average 50% right, so I was doing poorly. On the actual mcat, I guessed entirely on am entire passage because I had 15 seconds left. By God's grace I did alright.

Listening to Eric Thomas is the best! I haven't listened to him in awhile but he gets me fired up.
If I get asked who I look up to in one of my interviews, I have no more sincere an answer them Eric Thomas. Really helped me turn things around.

I literally had one shot to take the Mcat. There was no second test option for me, so really I was just desperate haha.

Verbal was a huge surprise for me actually. I did 3 passages every chapter and alternated between ek 101, tprhl, and Berkley review. Once I got really close to the test, I went to ek 101 exclusively.

I was getting on average 50% right, so I was doing poorly. On the actual mcat, I guessed entirely on am entire passage because I had 15 seconds left. By God's grace I did alright.

jmdg.gif

So far... according to TBR's scale... I have achieved a bomb score of 7 on the first chapter of physics and a 7 on the first chapter of chem! yay!

:( This effing sucks.
Really, don't let it discourage you. I can't emphasize enough that I really think that to do well, you just gotta GET THROUGH IT. Reading every book at least twice will show it's dividends.

Lived in Sweden, went to a British school, took 5 years of French, 1 year of Arabic plus lots of Arabic conversation group and arabic immersion with Arabs and Rosetta stone, 1 year of Hindi classes plus Rosetta stone. Learned some Korean from friends and a roommate :)

Wow I feel so at home on this thread. I speak fluent arabic, studied urdu for a year (which is close enough to Hindi that I understand majority of bollywood movies :)) and spanish in high school. Si se puede!!!

I have been on a committee that debated the inclusion of Arabs as an URM for certain affirmative action programs at our university, and the center for diversity inclusion at my dream med school. The debate is a lot more complicated that this. In the mid 1900s there was a huge wave of Syrian immigrants that lobbied for Arabs to be considered white on applications because in those times it was a disadvantage otherwise. Arabs as a race is a confusing topic, as we are not monolithic in color, culture, religion, etc., really the one unifying factor is we speak Arabic. So anyway my point is it is not so clear and is an area under debate. Can you tell a Sudani Arab -American they aren't african american? Or a Nubian Egyptian-American? How about a Berber? This is all bs at the end of the day, a way to classify people into categories. AAMC states people should select what they identify themselves with. I think they need to have a middle eastern option.

Well, I am just saying that if it they say to follow a standard, then just follow it. If it says people from these places belong in this category, then just select what it says. If you are always selecting white, then all of a sudden you are applying to med school and you become African-American, then its not right. You shouldn't all of a sudden self-identify with another rate when you are applying to med school to get an advantage.

Further, I completely disagree with the whole concept of URM/ORM. What about the very poor white or asian person who never had access to good schools. And what about the African-american or hispanic person who went to private schools all their life. I feel like it should be more based on the wealth of your family, education of your family, and the quality of the schools you went to growing up rather than the color of your skin. I know the AAMC asks questions on your wealth and education of your family, but from my understanding, that isn't really given much emphasis by schools.

Well, I am just saying that if it they say to follow a standard, then just follow it. If it says people from these places belong in this category, then just select what it says. If you are always selecting white, then all of a sudden you are applying to med school and you become African-American, then its not right. You shouldn't all of a sudden self-identify with another rate when you are applying to med school to get an advantage.

Further, I completely disagree with the whole concept of URM/ORM. What about the very poor white or asian person who never had access to good schools. And what about the African-american or hispanic person who went to private schools all their life. I feel like it should be more based on the wealth of your family, education of your family, and the quality of the schools you went to growing up rather than the color of your skin. I know the AAMC asks questions on your wealth and education of your family, but from my understanding, that isn't really given much emphasis by schools.

I agree its a confusing topic, but Im a supporter of affirmative action. If people didn't start out equal, we cant hold them to equal standards and expect their communities to succeed. Its supposed to be inclusive, not divisive. But youre completely right in practice its complicated.

This is a very touchy topic so I will keep it brief. Even though I agree with you the whole URM/ORM thing is annoying. There are some points you should consider
1. Certain ethnic groups such as the Black and Hispanics have been purposefully target and neglected certain advantages that other ethnic group have had throughout the generations. Alot of Blacks and Hispanics have been systematically targeted by the government to deny them of the benefits of the entire community at large . This isnt something that has been done to other ethnic groups in such a blatant, widespread and systematic way . This is no surprise that black/hispanic kids comes from families that never got a college degree.
2. And on the economic note race is a good precursor to economic wealth because as you know URMs are always on the highest when it comes to unemployment rates and the lowest when it comes to wages earned (which kinda links to the less of them being college educated) ..
TLDR .. Yes you have a few black kids who cheat the system but trust me this works.. I believe the majority of who benefits from this are kids who really want to make a difference in the community.Not saying poor asain or white kids should be left behind/ but this problem is much more about how much you make .. And also going to private school really doesnt matter much about how rich you are. I go to a private school because some of them give really good grants because the cost can be absorbed by the other alumni. We do find our self In a great amount of debt but this so the price for a good education. So yeah Private school doesnt really mean wealthy. Hope I dont come off as mean but I feel if it wasnt for such programs I would probably be in Jamaica doing god knows what

seriously though, I think I might spend more time on this thread than actually studying

I agree its a confusing topic, but Im a supporter of affirmative action. If people didn't start out equal, we cant hold them to equal standards and expect their communities to succeed. Its supposed to be inclusive, not divisive. But youre completely right in practice its complicated.

Asian immigrants also came into the country very poor and not equal, but they actually get screwed over the worst.

What I support is that if a person comes from a poor family, from parents who aren't educated, and didn't have access to good schools, then this person needs to have an advantage so that they can get have an education and his family doesn't continue to stay in poverty. What this person's race is, shouldn't matter.

This system is encouraging this poor Asian to remain where he is by making it harder for them to get into school.

This is a very touchy topic so I will keep it brief. Even though I agree with you the whole URM/ORM thing is annoying. There are some points you should consider
1. Certain ethnic groups such as the Black and Hispanics have been purposefully target and neglected certain advantages that other ethnic group have had throughout the generations. Alot of Blacks and Hispanics have been systematically targeted by the government to deny them of the benefits of the entire community at large . This isnt something that has been done to other ethnic groups in such a blatant, widespread and systematic way . This is no surprise that black/hispanic kids comes from families that never got a college degree.
2. And on the economic note race is a good precursor to economic wealth because as you know URMs are always on the highest when it comes to unemployment rates and the lowest when it comes to wages earned (which kinda links to the less of them being college educated) ..
TLDR .. Yes you have a few black kids who cheat the system but trust me this works.. I believe the majority of who benefits from this are kids who really want to make a difference in the community.Not saying poor asain or white kids should be left behind/ but this problem is much more about how much you make .. And also going to private school really doesnt matter much about how rich you are. I go to a private school because some of them give really good grants because the cost can be absorbed by the other alumni. We do find our self In a great amount of debt but this so the price for a good education. So yeah Private school doesnt really mean wealthy. Hope I dont come off as mean but I feel if it wasnt for such programs I would probably be in Jamaica doing god knows what

I was talking about pre-college education.

TLDR .. Yes you have a few black kids who cheat the system but trust me this works.. I believe the majority of who benefits from this are kids who really want to make a difference in the community.Not saying poor asain or white kids should be left behind/ but this problem is much more about how much you make ..
Basically ive had it explained like this in a thread where someone was complaining that they were beat out of med school by a urm with lower scores. The med school community is still by far and large populated mostly by asain and "white" students. So let's say that in an incoming class there is 5 spots that are saved for URM only kids in an incoming class of 150 (as in there can be more urm kids, but these 5 spots are given noticeable preference because urms, due to their background, often have slightly lower scores because of socioeconomic disadvantage) To complain to be unfairly rejected as compared to URMs with lower scores is silly at that point because the med school community is already so weighter towards white or asain. You werent "beat out" by a URM. Your application was worse than all 145 kids who were accepted without an advantage, and then the kids given a slight leg up beat you.

Asian immigrants also came into the country very poor and not equal, but they actually get screwed over the worst.

What I support is that if a person comes from a poor family, from parents who aren't educated, and didn't have access to good schools, then this person needs to have an advantage so that they can get have an education and his family doesn't continue to stay in poverty. What this person's race is, shouldn't matter.

This system is encouraging this poor Asian to remain where he is by making it harder for them to get into school.
I honestly dont believe you think Asian Americans get screwed over more than blacks/Hispanics ... And Asian culture/history has always been geared towards seeking a good education .. Again the barriers they had to face even though bad wasn't as systematic and hurtful to the american american ethic groups.

I honestly dont believe you think Asian Americans get screwed over more than blacks/Hispanics ... And Asian culture/history has always been geared towards seeking a good education .. Again the barriers they had to face even though bad wasn't as systematic and hurtful to the american american ethic groups.

Oh no I definitely don't believe that. I am saying some do.

Basically the "advantage" is small at best. Just strive personally to be the best in your field of study and you wont have to worry about race playing a role.

Everyone looks the same as your staring down from the top of your pyramid as A GOD AMONG MEN.