SN2'd first day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasSurgeon

I don't pay state taxes
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: This was supposed to be a thread about the first day of SN2. However as with all intelligent life, things evolve. This thread has now become a support page for people following the SN2 plan. You can think of it as Alcoholics Anonymous for people studying to take the MCAT using the SN2 plan.

EDIT July 1, 2014:
If you are interested in @mehc012's Anki Deck, DO NOT SEND A PM. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7if6wgaif98rkoa/mehc012 SN2edCh4s.apkg
**A NOTE: @mehc012 and several others (myself included) want to tell you guys that studying from another person's deck will probably not be as beneficial to you as creating your own cards. Yes you can take advantage of @mehc012's generosity, but you won't get the same advantage. Study the material. Create cards as you go along. You will find it more helpful to your studying. **

EDIT July 22, 2014:
The following is @TBRBiosadist's official MCAT Verbal Reasoning Strategy:
@TBRBiosadist's strategy that got [him] from a 7 average to scoring 13-15 average..

Spend the bulk of your time reading. Up to 3 minutes per passage.
  • Read the first and last paragraph thoroughly to begin with. Understand what the authors main point will be because 90% of questions require nothing more than a general idea.
  • After this, read the entire passage slowly enough where you dont feel like you need to reread sentences for understanding.
Next is just answer questions, there is a few tricks here that work about 90% of the time
  • Unless the passage is asking you about a specific detail, dont look back. READ EVERY ANSWER THOROUGLY AND THEN Answer what makes sense from the general point of the passage. Its very easy to prove a wrong answer to be somewhat correct if you dig hard enough, dont. Answer what your gut says and move onto the next question, dont contemplate to much. With that being said...
  • Answer like you were dropped on the head as a child. Alot of times if Im arguing between two answers, there is the answer that is 100% correct, and one that is 90% correct. Be an idoit and choose the one that seems like it is correct. However.....
  • "Always" is a word to avoid. If an answer uses this word, or definites like it, it is something to avoid. I would say 80% of the time the wishy washy answer is more correct then the highly affirmative one. This leads to my final point....
  • 100% of the time you are not actually looking for the "right" answer in verbal, this isnt PS or BS where 1+1 almost always equals 2 (unless we are talking about the different sedimentation values for Ribosomes). In verbal you are looking for the answer that isnt wrong. Often times an answer will seem very "right" but one aspect of it is clearly wrong, as compared to an answer that isnt wrong, but doesnt seem as right as that answer, these are meant to fool you. Choose the answer that isnt wrong.
I understand that I few of these tips may be at odds with each other. Ultimately you must adjust slightly for each passage, but it comes down to one thing. Read thoroughly. Read every sentence in the passage. Read every question. Read every answer. Then the correct answer will be fairly obvious. This may seem like it takes longer, but it takes much less time than skimming, and then trying to find the correct information later.

Or to summarize in one sentence

Understand what the hell the author is arguing

EDIT July 26, 2014:

@DoctorInASaree uploaded a guide to Verbal Reasoning. If you're interested, it's worth a look. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2byivymmqwlvjms/MCAT VR Primer DRSAREE.pdf

EDIT 2, July 26, 2014: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sn2d-first-day.1074344/page-52#post-15510851

The first day is BR physics chapter (translational motion) + 1/3 of the passages. I felt like I wasn't able to apply the stuff I read into the stuff I was tested on.

Has anyone felt this way when following the schedule? It just seems like the contents of the chapter didn't really stick in my head when I took the practice passages. Will this improve over time?

EDIT 3, March 4, 2015:

For verbal, if you are feeling lost and confused, I highly highly recommend you to look into the MCAT Strategy Course by @Jack Westin. I've been working with him, and nothing comes close to his course and teaching. It's a strategy course, so it will cover everything, not just the VR/CARS section.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Last day of studying! As awful as it all was, I can honestly say the whole thing went by really fast, and I'm always thinking I wish I studied more (although doubt I really could have). I think the greatest thing I took away from this entire experience was the realization of just how much I want to be a doctor. The hours and hours of studying could only have been accomplished with a drive for success that was fueled by my aspirations. It's a rare ability in the entire history of humankind that we can sit back and actually make a decision over what we want to do in our lives - it's even rarer for us to accomplish those dreams, and on the 27th I hope my hard work comes to fruition, that the number I chose to define myself accurately portrays what I believe of myself. Good luck to the fellow 27thers and all the past and current MCAT takers. Hopefully we won't have to take this thing ever again ;)

Reactions: 6 users
I know it's 80 bajillion years late, but yeah, I did just recently finish content review. Won't be useful for those in my test date (no, you are not going to retain 2800+ cards in 2days) but I know many of you are not 27thers.
It's a bit clunky and incredibly overly detailed, but I love it! And hey, my current FL avg is ~41...it may not have been the Anki, but then again, I used nothing but Anki, EK1001, and practice passages!

Mehc's MCAT Madness Anki Deck (2014 exam)

For a quick Anki overview, here is a thread I started, and then woefully allowed to go dormant...still has some good info in it, and if anyone sends me a specific question (by replying to that thread, please don't PM because then no one else gets to see it), I will try to add an entry to that thread!
Anki Central

Now, I like to type in answers, as I feel that it really makes it obvious whether I knew the answer or not, so most of my cards will have some sort of typing component. Therefore, a lot of my cards will have a typing hint displayed just above the typing prompt - italicized cues as to the capitalization or format of the answer. Here's an overview of my commonly used typing hints:

lc means that it is in lower case
Uc means that the first word is Upper case, and
'ABB' means an abbreviation such as LH or FSH.
'alpha' means alphabetical order.
lclist, means a comma-separated list with no caps.
2words, 3words, etc should be self-explanatory. 2and means 2 words with an 'and' in between. Same with 2or
# means a number
,,,and means a list with 3 commas and an 'and' at the end.
'y' means nothing...it's just the default and likely means I made that card before I started making Typing clues.

I often abbreviate the typing and only do the first word if there are multiple.
If I use an acronym for that list, it will be on the card when you review it, and typing will be in the order of the acronym.

Oh, and if you use mobile, be sure to go into settings and turn off typing responses because it's super annoying there.

I named my deck something specific so that it doesn't get mixed in with yours.

MAKE SURE YOU EDIT THESE TO YOUR LIKING!
During your first pass through the deck, stop EVERY time you hit a card you dislike, or which just doesn't 'click' for you, and edit it until it does...change the words, the phrasing, the typing hint, take typing out, whatever. Do not keep a card in your deck which feels 'off' to you. For this reason, I recommend that your first pass through new cards be done on the computer, as editing is far easier. Alternatively, you could suspend/mark any off-kilter cards and then make time later to revise them.

Good luck and good studying!
-mehc012

PS - If you downloaded the first half of my deck, once you import this one simply search for the tag 'shared' and delete those cards, and you should be able to merge everything perfectly! There will be a few (<30) duplicates because I changed the format of some cards to enable typing...when you run into those, just delete whichever version you dislike.

Sidenote for picky Anki users like me: Remember, Anki always makes the notes for any imported deck a new Note type to avoid messing up formats...so if you downloaded the first half of them, you'll have 2 Basic+ Note types, etc...this is easy enough to change, just go in the Browser, select one of the two versions of that Note format from the sidebar, select all of those cards, and "Change Note type" to the other Basic+. You should end up with 0 cards of one Basic+ type and all cards of the other, and then you can simply delete the duplicate Note type. Or you can not worry about it, but it would drive me bananas. Good skill to learn for after importing decks anyway, or you'll end up with as many Basic Note types as the number of decks you import+1! :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
so about the new mcat... http://mcat2015prep.org/

freakout.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Soo my sn2ed peeps I had the DISPLEASURE of trying to work thru BR ch #8 electrostatics and electromagnetism…and all I can say is wtf. :barf: I did well in physics II also---so I feel I just need to consult other material. Anyone think referencing the old trusty cutnell and johnson physics text is a good idea for this chapter? I feel like this will refresh me fully (I forgot some of this stuff) and feel like that textbook was honestly amazing. lol. What do you guys think? :mad:

I dunno why everyone is scared of it... it's far more focused on skills you'll actually need.
Not scared...I have been looking forward to the MCAT since I decided to go for medical school, and I'm still more excited than anything! As painful as studying was, it was the productive kind of painful, like outsprinting somebody, which just feels great!
I also think that the Anki deck helped to keep me motivated because it gave me a tangible product at the end. I will have these cards forEVER :D

Side note, just finished AAMC11 and actually started running a bit short on time in PS. I only had like 5min left when I ended...hope it's not that way on test day, cuz it definitely made it feel more stressful.

Soo my sn2ed peeps I had the DISPLEASURE of trying to work thru BR ch #8 electrostatics and electromagnetism…and all I can say is wtf. :barf: I did well in physics II also---so I feel I just need to consult other material. Anyone think referencing the old trusty cutnell and johnson physics text is a good idea for this chapter? I feel like this will refresh me fully (I forgot some of this stuff) and feel like that textbook was honestly amazing. lol. What do you guys think? :mad:

Absolutely! use material that is most suited to your learning style and one which you are comfortable with if you are having trouble with a concept. I had an amazing professor for physics in undergrad and I'm also kind of naturally good at physics so I just used the BR book. I'm having trouble with organic chemistry but consulting my college textbook is helping me big time!

Not scared...I have been looking forward to the MCAT since I decided to go for medical school, and I'm still more excited than anything! As painful as studying was, it was the productive kind of painful, like outsprinting somebody, which just feels great!
I also think that the Anki deck helped to keep me motivated because it gave me a tangible product at the end. I will have these cards forEVER :D

Side note, just finished AAMC11 and actually started running a bit short on time in PS. I only had like 5min left when I ended...hope it's not that way on test day, cuz it definitely made it feel more stressful.
I was responding to the new format of the MCAT, not your emotional state about the one you're about to write.

I dunno why everyone is scared of it... it's far more focused on skills you'll actually need.

I mean, the new thing is only going to be 7 hours long. And it's only going to test 3 more subjects, in addition to the 5 subjects that are on the old MCAT. What's there to be scared of?????? :eyebrow:

Reactions: 1 users
I was responding to the new format of the MCAT, not your emotional state about the one you're about to write.
Ah. In that case, I'd argue that "ability to answer basic questions on psych and sociology" is pretty much zero percent relevant to actually interacting with other humans in a meaningful fashion. Instead, it just adds in a bunch of subjective crap to what is supposed to be an objective measure of ability. The more objective they make it, the less relevant it is (cuz the more dissimilar to actual social interaction it is), yet the more subjective it is, the more it muddies the waters and makes the MCAT less study-able.

Test subjective skills through subjective measures, and objective ones objectively. Let's not pretend that the robots can do the work of interviews.

Reactions: 5 users
I mean, the new thing is only going to be 7 hours long. And it's only going to test 3 more subjects, in addition to the 5 subjects that are on the old MCAT. What's there to be scared of?????? :eyebrow:

seriously. I don't even get the point of adding the psychology/sociology section when the very foundation of the doctor-patient relationship is crumbling as I type this response. Guess we're going to have to apply all those 'new' social interaction skills in the mere 8-12 minutes that we will actually get to even look at the patient.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much to @mehc012 for your generosity to share the Anki deck. It seems like it's really helped you.

School started today so goodbye to me posting on SDN as much... :(
Look at the bright side, New, Young confused and Lonely freshman's at your disposal ... *thinks to self I hope I don't become Todd out of scrubs*

Anyone else think some of the answers in AAMC11 are BS? I'm looking at you, *spoiler* sperm capacitation question which is just factually inaccurate*spoiler*

I know it's 80 bajillion years late, but yeah, I did just recently finish content review. Won't be useful for those in my test date (no, you are not going to retain 2800+ cards in 2days) but I know many of you are not 27thers.
It's a bit clunky and incredibly overly detailed, but I love it! And hey, my current FL avg is ~41...it may not have been the Anki, but then again, I used nothing but Anki, EK1001, and practice passages!

If you downloaded the first half of my deck, once you import this one simply search for the tag 'shared' and delete those cards, and you should be able to merge everything perfectly! There will be a few (<30) duplicates because I changed the format of some cards to enable typing...when you run into those, just delete whichever version you dislike.

Sidenote for picky Anki users like me: Remember, Anki always makes the notes for any imported deck a new Note type to avoid messing up formats...so if you downloaded the first half of them, you'll have 2 Basic+ Note types, etc...this is easy enough to change, just go in the Browser, select one of the two versions of that Note format from the sidebar, select all of those cards, and "Change Note type" to the other Basic+. You should end up with 0 cards of one Basic+ type and all cards of the other, and then you can simply delete the duplicate Note type. Or you can not worry about it, but it would drive me bananas. Good skill to learn for after importing decks anyway, or you'll end up with as many Basic Note types as the number of decks you import+1! :laugh:

Thanks for sharing your deck! Medicine should be more like this, cooperative rather than competitive.

Guys, I'm having trouble getting over my seething dislike for EK 1001. It was my only source of practice last time outside of EK/TPR in chapter passages (bad idea, I know), and I remember it making my life miserable. Every time I try to work through them, I feel this hatred (also, it just feels like such a waste of time when they don't even give decent answer explanations).

Do you guys think I should just get TPRH Science Workbook instead? And for those of you guys who did that, how did you all work it into the review day?

Last edited:
Guys, I'm having trouble getting over my searing dislike for EK 1001. It was my only source of practice last time outside of EK/TPR in chapter passages (bad idea, I know), and I remember it making my life miserable. Every time I try to work through them, I feel this searing hatred (also, it just feels like such a waste of time when they don't even give decent answer explanations).

Do you guys think I should just get TPRH Science Workbook instead? And for those of you guys who did that, how did you all work it into the review day?

EK 1001 is for drilling in the basic information in your head. I still do it weekly but just for a quick refreshment of the topics while tindering.

EK 1001 is for drilling in the basic information in your head. I still do it weekly but just for a quick refreshment of the topics while tindering.

Oh, don't worry. That's what I use them for. It's just frustrating to have questions I get wrong on, say, Physics, and not be able to understand what they're saying in the answer. Generally, the questions are very easy, and they almost don't feel worth my time. With Physics 1001, it's kind of the opposite where I'll have difficulty, but the answer key isn't really helping me at all.

Guys, I'm having trouble getting over my searing dislike for EK 1001. It was my only source of practice last time outside of EK/TPR in chapter passages (bad idea, I know), and I remember it making my life miserable. Every time I try to work through them, I feel this searing hatred (also, it just feels like such a waste of time when they don't even give decent answer explanations).

Don't do the 1001 books then. If I could go back and do the schedule over again I would have foregone ek 1001 and spread the re-read + 2/3 passage days out over a span of 2-3 days to re-read the chapters more thoroughly.

TPRH science workbook would be a better use of your time for sure if you're looking for a substitute though

Don't do the 1001 books then. If I could go back and do the schedule over again I would have foregone ek 1001 and spread the re-read + 2/3 passage days out over a span of 2-3 days to re-read the chapters more thoroughly.

TPRH science workbook would be a better use of your time for sure if you're looking for a substitute though

That's valuable advice! Thank you. I might consider doing a sort of mixture of the two. Reviewing those 2/3's can be pretty time consuming when you also have a new chapter to do, so perhaps I'll spread them out a little more!

Guys, I'm having trouble getting over my seething dislike for EK 1001. It was my only source of practice last time outside of EK/TPR in chapter passages (bad idea, I know), and I remember it making my life miserable. Every time I try to work through them, I feel this hatred (also, it just feels like such a waste of time when they don't even give decent answer explanations).

I found EK1001 very useful, because it systematically went through all of the major permutations you could see on all of these concepts. It was very comprehensive. Annoying? Yup. Screw their answer explanations, if you get something wrong settle down and work it out - Wiki, Google, pure math...one of my more valuable prep sources, I have to say. I feel that I got more out of EK1001 than I did from doing TBR passages, to be honest.

Reactions: 3 users
To my friends taking the exam tomorrow:

1. Do not underestimate your gut feeling
2. You have studied very hard, this is your time to shine..it is only AAMC #12
3. ALWAYS assume g= 10 m/s^2

<3T

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys finished TBR ch 8 today (electrostatics and electromagnetism) and got STEAM ROLLED by passages. Lmao FML. I have been averaging 75-85% correct in TBR gen chem and physics up to this point, but this chapter just **** on me. I went back to my old textbook and re-learned both Right hand rules, one for particle in mag field and one for loop being passed thru magnetic field inducing a current. I understand them and Lenz's law perfectly. I got all ?'s having to do with this fundamental stuff RIGHT in the passages, but some of the stuff they were asking was crazy. I recall a question about steel balls behaving less ideally in humid weather for example (ummm wtf?!). Did anyone else get torched on this chapter by the passages? I have re-read the chapter twice @ this point and even referenced my old college physics textbook so feel I get all the concepts but DAMNN those passages. Should I just move on?!!

I found EK1001 very useful, because it systematically went through all of the major permutations you could see on all of these concepts. It was very comprehensive. Annoying? Yup. Screw their answer explanations, if you get something wrong settle down and work it out - Wiki, Google, pure math...one of my more valuable prep sources, I have to say. I feel that I got more out of EK1001 than I did from doing TBR passages, to be honest.

Finishing up EK Gen Chem. Plowing through EK OChem now. Starting EK Physics. Taking Kaplan FL on Monday. But I can say I'm vouching for this. EK is exposing content gaps like no other and making me SO CONFIDENT with basic material I thought I knew that I did not. #highlyrecommend but we'll see how it effects my scores

Finishing up EK Gen Chem. Plowing through EK OChem now. Starting EK Physics. Taking Kaplan FL on Monday. But I can say I'm vouching for this. EK is exposing content gaps like no other and making me SO CONFIDENT with basic material I thought I knew that I did not. #highlyrecommend but we'll see how it effects my scores
Exactly. It showed me 18 variations on how one concept could be asked, and made me realize things like...what happens when you put 2 springs together? Side by side? Cut one in half? TBR told me the equations, but EK reminded me that simple things which are solvable in 2s if you know which equation to apply are nearly impossible if you just don't see the connection (that connection being for this example hooke's law + Young's modulus, k=YA/l0, so if you cut the spring in half, the k doubles). Again, I didn't find this out by reading EK's explanations, but it was easy enough to find once I realized I was lacking in my understanding there...and that is what EK1001 is so good at pointing out!

Im up, cant sleep I am having so much fun studying its actually really strange ... I love love TBR!!!

ok my right eye is doing weird muscle twitches... enough fun for one night ..

Your an animal ! Lol when are you taking?
November 7th .. Trying to do as much before school starts .. And that eye twitching thing was pretty scary .. LOL .. I think I have conditioned by brain to be use to fatigue and burn out ... The only thing is you have to get 6 hours of sleep and have some way to reward yourself throughout the day .. My reward is watching scrubs !!

Soo going back to the original post, EIGHTY EIGHT PAGES BEFORE lol, is the recommendation reading the intro paragraph, then concluding paragraph, and then reading over it again? I got my score back recently and didn't do well on verbal. I'm trying to to bring it up several points to a 9-10 range. I try to understand the main idea and the author's tone but when it comes to the questions, im not sure what goes wrong..maybe its wording that confuses me or just not fully interpreting what the answer choices mean. Anybody else in a similar situation? Retaking in a few weeks and I need help! Thanks guyss..Good luck to those who took it today or are taking it soon!

omg i cant believe school is starting so now *screaming*!
it's gonna be so hard to balance mcat studying in with schoolwork but that'll make it all the more rewarding once i get a good score ^o^

Reactions: 2 users
Finishing 2/3 for physics= Better overall by 1 %
2/3 for Ochem=same %
2/3 for bio...worse :bang:

TBR bio is killing me. I can't tell if it is even helping. Ya sure they have obscure passages, but the random details it requires is a little too much.

omg i cant believe school is starting so now *screaming*!
it's gonna be so hard to balance mcat studying in with schoolwork but that'll make it all the more rewarding once i get a good score ^o^

I[t] will be hard. But like you said, the rewards are even greater. I'm using the semester, hardest I'll have all undergrad, to prove to myself that I can do the hard workload, ECs, and the MCAT. I always say I can and I have a lot of faith in myself, about time I actually pushed myself more than I ever though possible. I said it earlier and I'll say it again, I think a lot of us think we are working hard but aren't working to out actual potential. I speak for myself of course; those who are working hard I wish i was able to push myself as hard as you and wouldn't need a difficult semester to prove to myself that I can do it.

I think most of my posts are me rambling endlessly while trying to fall asleep.

Good luck studying everyone! Start the semester off strong and if your not in school continue to work hard!!

Last edited:
I will be hard. But like you said, the rewards are even greater. I'm using the semester, hardest I'll have all undergrad, to prove to myself that I can do the hard workload, ECs, and the MCAT. I always say I can and I have a lot of faith in myself, about time I actually pushed myself more than I ever though possible. I said it earlier and I'll say it again, I think a lot of us think we are working hard but aren't working to out actual potential. I speak for myself of course; those who are working hard I wish i was able to push myself as hard as you and wouldn't need a difficult semester to prove to myself that I can do it.

Good luck studying everyone! Start the semester off strong and if your not in school continue to work hard!!

358rrG2.png

LOL sorry all night studying and i needed to have a juvenile moment

If you downloaded the first half of my deck, once you import this one simply search for the tag 'shared' and delete those cards, and you should be able to merge everything perfectly! There will be a few (<30) duplicates because I changed the format of some cards to enable typing...when you run into those, just delete whichever version you dislike.

ty for sharing ur deck! u are very kind :)
congrats on being done with your test:)
its so cool to see what u thought was important for studying, especially since you're so smart!
i wonder what @TBRBiosadist note documents look like

I will be hard. But like you said, the rewards are even greater. I'm using the semester, hardest I'll have all undergrad, to prove to myself that I can do the hard workload, ECs, and the MCAT. I always say I can and I have a lot of faith in myself, about time I actually pushed myself more than I ever though possible. I said it earlier and I'll say it again, I think a lot of us think we are working hard but aren't working to out actual potential. I speak for myself of course; those who are working hard I wish i was able to push myself as hard as you and wouldn't need a difficult semester to prove to myself that I can do it.

what grade of undergrad are you going to be??

Arrggg was going to throw away my chemistry book because of thermo-chemistry then chad saved me from going crazy .. School in 5 days got to get stuff done!!

Last edited: