SN2ed bio strategy for

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plage noire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Non-trad career changer in the middle of my postbac here. I recently started SN2ed's 4-month study plan and have finally hit biology. I've read tons of opinions about whether and how to use EK vs. TBR, etc. but I'm interested in hearing from other non-trads/non-bio majors, preferably those who have only taken gen bio 1 and 2. I know that EK alone won't be enough but I don't want to trudge through all of BR if it's so unnecessarily dense. Biology is my worst of the 4 subjects and I haven't looked at bio at all since I took it last summer (condensed). I'm curious, for others who struggle with/aren't fresh on bio, what has worked for you for review and passages?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest using The Princeton Review for biology content review. TBR Bio is extremely dense and EK is very concise and is best for people who still have a fresh grasp on biology. I've heard TPR is in-between. Nonetheless you only need a fundamental knowledge of the topics rather than memorizing every single detail, since the MCAT is more of a critical thinking test. In my experience you'll glean quite a bit from the AAMC practice tests too.

Reactions: 1 user
I would suggest using The Princeton Review for biology content review. TBR Bio is extremely dense and EK is very concise and is best for people who still have a fresh grasp on biology. I've heard TPR is in-between. Nonetheless you only need a fundamental knowledge of the topics rather than memorizing every single detail, since the MCAT is more of a critical thinking test. In my experience you'll glean quite a bit from the AAMC practice tests too.

+1 I think it'll be great for you.

Thanks! I went ahead and ordered TPR Bio for content review. I'm going to work off of that and supplement/practice with the other two as needed. Hopefully it's the right fit...

Members don't see this ad :)
Great! I'm not sure what you are planning on using for practice but I'm currently using the TPRH Science Workbook and really like their bio passages (I can't comment on it for physics, chem or orgo although I'm sure they're all good nonetheless)

Also, be sure to check out khan academy videos for any topics you might feel uncomfortable with, it really helped for me.

Good luck!

I think that using 2 different sources for content vs passages is silly. TBR is not that hard to get through, it's really not. If you want to do TBR passages, do TBR content. If you're going to spend extra time, better to do so actually learning rather than parsing out which EK chapters fit which TBR passages and then pulling your hair out over missing TBR questions when EK expects you to know far less.

Reactions: 1 user
mehc012, I have to agree. I was doing TBR passages and missing things because EK wasn't enough to answer TBR. Then I read TBR content and the answer to their passage was there.

I have a strong background in molecular & cell biology so reading TBR refreshed my memory. However, I wouldn't recommend it to those new to the subject, since it will easily overwhelm.