SN2ed schedule and classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meddie1991

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking off work for 4 months but will be taking orgo 1 with lab and bio 1 w lab this fall

Will also be going through the 4 month version of the sn2ed schedule.

I will have about 25 days of nothing but mcat before the january 15th 2015 date after my finals for fall semester.

In your opinion, how viable is it to ace both classes and effectively study for mcat as well? I feel it wont be bad as the class and mcat materials will overlap so if ajything...it will make me more prepared for the mcat

Thoughts? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I agree that you should be fine. I was working part time, taking a 400 level biochemistry course, and gave myself roughly 30 hours a week to study for the MCAT. I will still chugging along just fine. I maintained my sanity for the most part haha.

A question though then is are you taking the MCAT before you have all of the pre-reqs? You will only have orgo 1 under your belt? What year are you?

Members don't see this ad :)
informal postbac student.

yes, I will not be able to take orgo 2 before the mcat. I will have taken ALL other prereqs though.

unfortunately there is no way around this as I refuse to be a guinea pig for the new mcat...but I will study some orgo 2 stuff on my own.

yes, I will not be able to take orgo 2 before the mcat. I will have taken ALL other prereqs though.

unfortunately there is no way around this as I refuse to be a guinea pig for the new mcat...but I will study some orgo 2 stuff on my own.
Gotcha, that should be enough time then. I would not go over 10-12 weeks of studying at 30-40 hours a week... I did 14 weeks of study at that rate and it was definitely overkill. You start seeing serious burnout and diminishing returns after the 10-12 week region. I dont recall how long the SN2 schedule is, but just try to stick to it as best you can. You will know in the last couple weeks whether you are ready or not.

Fwiw I took the MCAT without Orgo 2 and had no issues whatsoever. As long as you hit some of the main ideas in your prep, I think their Orgo questions are pretty straight forward.

Fwiw I took the MCAT without Orgo 2 and had no issues whatsoever. As long as you hit some of the main ideas in your prep, I think their Orgo questions are pretty straight forward.
I agree, I took it with Orgo 2 but the only way that the class would have been useful is if I had taken the MCAT immediately after finishing the course. There are some useful stuff in organic, but most of it is just brute memorization, which you could do with or without organic 2.

Second the orgo 2 comments. Just memorize the experimental techniques, especially proton nmr and ir spectroscopy and you should be good.