Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Sneezing during surgery

Discussion in 'Allopathic' started by darkraven, 08.16.08.

1. darkraven

darkraven

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    just kind of randomly popped in my head, but what happens if a surgeon has to sneeze while operating?
  2. Catalystik

Catalystik Providing Herd Protection SDN Advisor

Physician Faculty SDN 7+ Year Member
    The mask will contain ejected matter or droplets so they don't effect the environment, unfortunately, they remain inside the mask where they can be annoying.
  3. pincheeric

pincheeric

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    When you need to sneeze, do it properly. If you can (i.e. you aren't holding a retractor or suctioning) take a step or two back from the table. Don't turn your head, instead sneeze straight at the table. The reason you do this is because the mask allows particles to escape out the sides, so you don't want to turn to the side and spray particles out the side onto the field.
  4. 45408

45408 aw buddy

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Yeah, this works. Apparently there's debate about whether or not you should face directly away or directly towards, but if you step back and face the table, it should be fine.
  5. Tired

Tired Still winning.

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I was taught to never turn my back on the field unless doing a pass-by with someone else, so I always face the table.

Also give warning to your team if possible prior to doing it so they don't think you're passing out.
  6. PeepshowJohnny

PeepshowJohnny

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal