Snow Day Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll have to get a picture of ours for you...it's at the end of our long driveway and I'm pretty confident we won't be able to find it...
My neighbor is meticulous about snow removal. I've been watching him from my cozy bed remove snow from his driveway every 2 hours. You can see that his car is uncovered. He's a nice guy and even plowed our common driveway. I tried to get some of the snow off of mine and was barely able to clear the driver's side of the windshield. I might try to see if I can get it to muscle out of the snow later. I'll post a video if I do.

Members don't see this ad.

I've always found it sort of inefficient to clear snow multiple times during a storm. Although where we lived, if you cleared snow every time 2-4 inches accumulated, you'd be shoveling non-stop for 4 months out of the year. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
I used to have a 2 foot fence around my pond. It is officially buried. We probably have close to 30" but it's hard to tell with all the drifts from the wind. My puppy has been out there almost all day, all by herself. She's refusing to come in even though she has ice balls stuck to her.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1453581438.598243.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I used to have a 2 foot fence around my pond. It is officially buried. We probably have close to 30" but it's hard to tell with all the drifts from the wind. My puppy has been out there almost all day, all by herself. She's refusing to come in even though she has ice balls stuck to her.

My old dog used to do that...she'd sit out in the wind/snow and I would keep trying to coax her back inside but she was like nah, I'm good. She was some kind of Corgi/Sheltie thing, really fluffy and well insulated. Your two look so happy haha!

I just tried to do some shoveling...made it out to the truck - it's at least 30" out there. Holy crap. Wouldn't be surprised if I couldn't get it down the driveway for work on Monday.

My son shoveled a small area right outside our one garage door. Usually when I take my dogs out 2 are on a leash because they can't be trusted to not run off, and one dog I know won't go anywhere, so he's off leash. Given the 3ft wall of snow around the shoveled area, I just let them out without leashes. They ran through the garage all excited, then came to an abrupt stop when they saw the 2" of snow they had to walk through. I literally had to push them onto the snow. All three peed and ran right back into the garage. I'm sure my two males won't poop until at least Tuesday.

My son shoveled a small area right outside our one garage door. Usually when I take my dogs out 2 are on a leash because they can't be trusted to not run off, and one dog I know won't go anywhere, so he's off leash. Given the 3ft wall of snow around the shoveled area, I just let them out without leashes. They ran through the garage all excited, then came to an abrupt stop when they saw the 2" of snow they had to walk through. I literally had to push them onto the snow. All three peed and ran right back into the garage. I'm sure my two males won't poop until at least Tuesday.

:laugh:

I never thought I'd own a Pomeranian but at least she's 9 pounds of pure not give a s*!$. She owns that snow.

Reactions: 1 users
I just tried to do some shoveling...made it out to the truck - it's at least 30" out there. Holy crap. Wouldn't be surprised if I couldn't get it down the driveway for work on Monday.
I have a 10am flight tomorrow. Zero chance I can get a plow out here on Sunday. Road in front of the house looks good, I just need to gradually slam the jeep through 200 feet of driveway. If I end up in the creek, that's what insurance is for right?

I have a 10am flight tomorrow. Zero chance I can get a plow out here on Sunday. Road in front of the house looks good, I just need to gradually slam the jeep through 200 feet of driveway. If I end up in the creek, that's what insurance is for right?
The plow came up our road once early this morning and hasn't been back. What are the chances UPenn will cancel class on Monday?

We're working with 500' of driveway :(

It's still going out here, and we have almost 2 feet so far. This storm is pretty impressive. The winds really started picking up this afternoon, so I'm hoping people aren't losing power. We're lucky enough that most of our lines out here are underground.

Anyone else going nuts cleaning the house? I have some biochem to study, but cleaning is more appealing right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was going to snow blow the driveway. But considering my street has yet to see a snowplow, I decided that could wait. I'm a deadend off of a quiet/low population street so i might be waiting a while...

I was going to snow blow the driveway. But considering my street has yet to see a snowplow, I decided that could wait. I'm a deadend off of a quiet/low population street so i might be waiting a while...
I live back from a major county road. They have been clearing it on and off all day. I just need to make it out there.
Snow blower? What's that?

Just for the record. It took me 2 hours to remove enough snow from my driveway so I can pass by with my Jeep. Those turn arounds are really annoying. Why can't I have a straight driveway?

Anyway, I was done with just enough time to change and get to the airport for my first flight when I find out the airport is closed because their tractor plow broke down and the runway and taxiways remain only partly plowed.

Back in bed with my little IGs relaxing.

Ohh, can I tell my snow story? There's a fair amount of snow where I live.

My SAT was canceled yesterday:soexcited:- which means another month to actually start memorizing useless vocab. Which I will get to sometime soon. Maybe.
Practice for pit orchestra (which was supposed to run from 11 to 6 yesterday) was also canceled. The show's on in a week and those middle school freaks still have no idea what they're doing (but then again I don't know what I am doing either) and so I can only hope that we don't screw up when the actual thing is on.
Church for both Saturday and Sunday is also canceled. Which is great because now I don't have to do anything else for the rest of this weekend except for studying for my midterms.

A perk for living at home with my parents? My dad is doing all of the shoveling :)

Official tally for PRinceton is 27".....

So much for the forecast of 5-8, then 6-10", then 8-12", then about a foot, then 12-18", then 1-2 feet.

Bah humbug.

My forecast was 2". I figured whatever they were forecasting would be very wrong. Got the very wrong part correct, just went the wrong direction. :smack:

Official tally for PRinceton is 27".....

So much for the forecast of 5-8, then 6-10", then 8-12", then about a foot, then 12-18", then 1-2 feet.

Bah humbug.

My forecast was 2". I figured whatever they were forecasting would be very wrong. Got the very wrong part correct, just went the wrong direction. :smack:

You're out in Princeton? Fun area to have 2 feet of snow. :D

We topped out at 22-24". The owner sent a message saying we should all clean our cars off so we can get to work on time on Monday. I can clean my car off all I want, but i the roads aren't clear...

Reactions: 2 users
A perk for living at home with my parents? My dad is doing all of the shoveling :)
You say this like you have a choice ;)

I'm at my parent's house right now until tomorrow, and my Dad and neighbor dug out my car. For that I am grateful.

We got about 2 feet of snow. I'm just happy that we decided to invest in a snowblower or this would have been hell. I cleared the driveway twice yesterday, once in the morning and again at night, which is why we're the only house on the street that can access our cars. My neighbor apparently was stuck at work yesterday so I had the pleasure of seeing his other car get completely submerged in snow. No idea what he's going to do when he gets back.

And because we didn't have to break our backs shoveling the driveway, I was able to enjoy the snow in our backyard: frolicking in snow that reached my thighs and making snow angels :)

Husband did not go get his snowthrower from friend, so he walked down the street to another friend's to help them with their driveway and should return sometime to help ours. I've shoveled a one person path about halfway down. It's so much snow...I don't see how I can possibly get out for work tomorrow.

Husband did not go get his snowthrower from friend, so he walked down the street to another friend's to help them with their driveway and should return sometime to help ours. I've shoveled a one person path about halfway down. It's so much snow...I don't see how I can possibly get out for work tomorrow.

I don't have to go in until noon tomorrow but I'm not even sure that's going to happen. Haven't seen a single snowplow yet, the "main" road that we are off of hasn't been touched yet either. My driveway is clear and trucks are in garage but I'm sure I'll have a mountain to deal with once plows finally get around to us.

My neighbors are "sledding" on air mattresses. Brilliant.

My puppy is still obsessed with the white stuff and has been out there since 9am. She keeps running across the pond and I'm just hoping the ice holds her!

I live in Maine and I feel very strange because we haven't gotten any snow. Normally we're the ones with the blizzards! This is a long post, but I thought it was funny so i'm going to share. A local police department posted this on fb, as advice to all of you dealing with the snow:
Dear Mid-Atlantic of these United States of America.

I think we all knew it could happen. Every year when you pack up your well tanned family and head back home from our tiny piece of paradise, you look back and see us raking up our leaves and putting our snow shovels by the door. You always sigh, knowing that we will be dealing with winter in a far different way than you will.

With lobster traps on your roof and pine cones in your carry ons, you think of us with with warm memories of fantastic sunsets, thick accents and great clam chowder. You talk to the family about coming back next year and enjoying all that Maine has to offer.

Down deep, you feel sorry for us. You know that we will be moving snowbanks, raking our roof, smashing ice dams off the shingles and stoking the wood stove with the dollar bills that you left behind.

Listen, this storm is going to miss us. This is not typical and we want to share a little advice of how to make it through an epic "snow event" unscathed. We want you to come back next year. Here are a few tips.

1. Don't panic. It's just frozen rain. It does go away so don't try to move too much at one time.
2. Don't shovel too early and don't wait too long. Pace yourself. Go out every few hours and move a little at a time. It can hurt your back, arms and legs. You always wonder why we all walk funny. It is not because of the clam chowder.
3. Heart attacks in big snow storms are rather common. Help out your neighbor who is older, out of shape or that has known health problems. Helping them move some snow (better yet, let your offspring do it) is better than calling EMS while you are doing CPR. Seriously.
4. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy all the bread on the shelves. As a lifelong Mainer, I recommend cereal. No better reason has ever been invented to eat Golden Crisp, Honeycomb or Captain Crunch (don't get the peanut butter flavored. That stuff sucks). You will need milk and of course a bowl and spoon. You probably already have that in the house. I have lived for several weeks on only Rice Crispies and Snickers.
5. Get some batteries and flashlights that work. Nothing is worse than going through the junk drawer and finding only 1 D battery when you need two. LED flashlights are awesome, cheap and last and last. You might need one to find the cereal.
6. Charge your Cellphone. If you have a generator, you need gas. You look stupid trying to start a generator with no gas in it. Don't ask me how I know. Do not run the generator inside a basement or garage. Yes, people do that. Usually only one time.
7. Toilets flush without electricity. If you fill your tub with water, you can use it for all kinds of things, including flushing the toilet. Also, to wash cereal bowls.
8. Fill your car up with gas. If you get stuck somewhere and have to run the car, make sure you clean out around the tail pipe and do not fall asleep with the car running. We need you to come back next summer to buy more lobster and lobster traps. Pine cones are free.

Most of all, take care of each other. Be nice and invite neighbors to hole up at one location. Hide expensive things, but help them. (that's the cop talking).

You will be fine. We drink lots of coffee and complain when we get hit like this storm. It works ok. It makes us grouchy but that's why you come here in the summer. To hear stories from grumpy Mainers who sell lobster traps. Now, you will have some of your own to share with us when you get back.

Be safe and well and if you have any Cap'n Crunch left after the storm. It keeps very well. Bring it up this summer.

I live in Maine and I feel very strange because we haven't gotten any snow. Normally we're the ones with the blizzards! This is a long post, but I thought it was funny so i'm going to share. A local police department posted this on fb, as advice to all of you dealing with the snow:

I journeyed through your place in the dead of winter many times back and forth from school :) Fortunately I know these things - we really do get snow in the Mid-Atlantic, just not usually 2+ft all in one go, ugh.

I refuse to buy a snowblower because I "know" that I will be moving to a warm weather state one of these days. Stupid SOV.

We left ours in NY because, hey, we're moving to Virginia! It's the south! How much snow could we possibly get? You don't need a snowblower for a couple measly inches of snow!

Granted, one or two parts needed to be fixed, and our idiot landlord had moved it when he was rummaging around the leaky garage/shed. We had stored it precisely in a dry spot because that POS garage had holes in the roof and walls. Stray cats used to use it as a shelter in the winter. And we didn't keep anything worth too much in there because it felt like the roof was going to cave in any day. Still, he moved it, and it got all wet from melting snow, so my husband gave up on trying to fix it before we moved and just left it there. Because "it's not like we're going to need the damn thing anyway."

Had a massive snow storm come through my senior year of undergrad (4.5 feet) and up to 8 feet in many areas... in Arizona, escaped to Phoenix to avoid the worst of the storm. Drove back up the following day and the roads were cleared by then. Though there was definitely some serious damage done, many buildings had collapsed roofs and a state of emergency was declared. Hopefully you guys get dug out soon.

For now, I will wish you all luck while driving around town. ;) :p

H I've shoveled a one person path about halfway down. It's so much snow...
This inspired me.

My neighbors behind us are on vacation(in Cuba) and coming back tomorrow. I did a good one and cleared a one person path to their door so they don't have to schlep their bags through 2+ feet of snow in flip flops. Oh, did I mention they are in their 80s.

Three feet of snow where I live...I don't even know where to start! It's just me shoveling (only one physically able), the snowblower I own is a tiny thing that can only clear around 18 inches..and we have three cars in the drive way so there's no good staging area either.

I keep going out and poking half heartedly at it, but it's not going away! And Downton Abbey seems like a much better use of my time.

This inspired me.

My neighbors behind us are on vacation(in Cuba) and coming back tomorrow. I did a good one and cleared a one person path to their door so they don't have to schlep their bags through 2+ feet of snow in flip flops. Oh, did I mention they are in their 80s.

Aw, that's nice of you :) My husband has finally got back to our place and are working on the driveway now but his friend's snowblower keeps quitting on them. I think they may end up asking the neighbor to borrow his. Sigh.

This inspired me.

Maybe you can see if someone on https://snowcrew.org/https://snowcrew.org/ will do their driveway for them?

This is your punishment for running away from Snowpocalypse 2015 and leaving the rest of us to suffer in PEI last winter. :p

Update: They just made it to the top of the driveway. The chain came off. They're working on it again. ASK THE NEIGHBOR. I would say I'm impatient but at least I get to sit inside. I've made bacon topped turkey meatloaf and green bean casserole for dinner, if they ever finish.

Update: They just made it to the top of the driveway. The chain came off. They're working on it again. ASK THE NEIGHBOR. I would say I'm impatient but at least I get to sit inside. I've made bacon topped turkey meatloaf and green bean casserole for dinner, if they ever finish.
MY shovel requires no chain, no gas, no mechanical parts.
Just sayin.

How did everyone do making it to work/school today, if you had to? I'm in Missouri, where it got up to 60 degrees today, so I'm enjoying reading all your posts. :) We got a bit of ice and maybe 2-3 inches of snow last week, but it's all melted by now.