So confused.. Naplex score transfer/reciprocity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm00123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am so confused about all these exams and how we get licensed in different states! So if I am planning on taking the naplex for one state, but I know I will eventually move to another state in about a year or 2, can I just do reciprocity to that state without having to take the naplex again? But if I do that, does it mean I have to be licensed in the first state in order to be licensed in the second state?? Can someone please clarify the best way to go about this please?

Members don't see this ad.

What if I plan to move after 1-2 years but don't know which state I will move to (depending on where my husband gets residency)? I just dont want to move and then have to keep my original license in my first state valid even if I am not working there
You take the naplex once. Use the score transfer option to send your score out to any other state(s) within 90 days of passing the exam. Just make sure that you meet all other requirements for both states. Here you go: http://www.nabp.net/programs/examination/naplex/score-transfer

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you plan on working as a pharmacist in any state during the next 1-2 years?
I plan on working in Indiana for about 1-2 years and then we will move somewhere else.. not planning on staying in Indiana more than 2 years. So I feel that reciprocity is my only option but I dont wanna keep my MN license forever and keep paying the renewal fee for it!

hi pharm00123! did you get licensed in Indiana yet? i am about to renew my IN license this june, although I am still working as a RPh in Cali.

canuk

I just became licensed in PA. But am moving to CO. Should I do a score transfer or license transfer? Do I need year of active practice to do license tranfer? It seems like license transfer is easier since I do not have to ask outside states to verify my intern hours which can be a hassle.

If you do a score transfer, then your licensing in both states are independent of each other i.e you don't have to keep paying renewal fees in the state you leave. If you decide to reciprocity, then you have to stay licensed in initially licensed state even when you move away.

So if don't want to keep paying the renewal fees, your best bet is to do a score transfer with 90 days of doing the naplex exam. That way you don't have yo do the exam again or keep paying renewal fees if you do move on from the initial state

hope this clears things up

I just became licensed in PA. But am moving to CO. Should I do a score transfer or license transfer? Do I need year of active practice to do license transfer? It seems like license transfer is easier since I do not have to ask outside states to verify my intern hours which can be a hassle.
It's cheaper, in general, to do a score transfer within 90 days. The cost of each score transfer is $75. If you wait, then you will pay $375 for reciprocity and $75 for each additional state you add on the same application. A reciprocal license will also require you to maintain your original "basis state" license, whereas a score transfer will allow you to let any one of your licenses to lapse.

Reactions: 3 users