So here's my dilemma...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theunc31

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, really quickly about me. I'm a 3rd year DO student and am looking for advice on how to approach the osteopathic vs allopathic match. I took the USMLE (score in the mid 230s) and have a decent application (good grades, some ok extra-currics, no research) but nothing outstanding. Did one ER rotation at community program (no residency) and didn't get a letter (2nd rotation of my 3rd year).

Anyways, my concern is in scheduling my 4th year rotations. There are a few DO programs that I'm interested in, but due to location, most of the programs I'm interested in are MD programs. So, the question is do I schedule away rotations at MD programs, apply broadly and hope that I get the 'magic 10 interviews' or more and match somewhere, or do I schedule aways at DO programs to give me a better chance to match in case I don't get as many interviews as I would like from the MD programs I'm interested in? I'm struggling with this because I know MD programs typically want SLORs from places that have MD residencies, yet DO programs won't interview me if I don't rotate there.

I've read other threads, but haven't found any specifics on how people worked both matches. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

It's a myth that DO programs will only interview you if you rotate there. I only rotated at one DO program, and still got interviews offers from the other three that I applied to.

You mention geography -- do you have any one region in mind? I think rotating at your top DO choice and at an MD program, both ASAP in fourth year, would be a safe way to do it. You're right that MDs want SLORs, and that some DOs aren't familiar with or don't like this format. Even in a DO program you might be able to get one of the MD attendings to write you a letter in this format.

If you're interested in the NY-NJ area, PM me and I can get more specific.

It's a myth that DO programs will only interview you if you rotate there. I only rotated at one DO program, and still got interviews offers from the other three that I applied to.

You mention geography -- do you have any one region in mind? I think rotating at your top DO choice and at an MD program, both ASAP in fourth year, would be a safe way to do it. You're right that MDs want SLORs, and that some DOs aren't familiar with or don't like this format. Even in a DO program you might be able to get one of the MD attendings to write you a letter in this format.

If you're interested in the NY-NJ area, PM me and I can get more specific.

I have actually not heard this (but was thinking about whether or not there was a difference). When rotating at a DO program then, do we have them write an actual letter or do we see what their preference is? If they do fill out a SLOR, should we still try to get a regular letter from another EP? Or, if you want, can you direct me to a site with this information?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have actually not heard this (but was thinking about whether or not there was a difference). When rotating at a DO program then, do we have them write an actual letter or do we see what their preference is? If they do fill out a SLOR, should we still try to get a regular letter from another EP? Or, if you want, can you direct me to a site with this information?

Have them fill out the SLOR, but they can 'attach' a regular LOR as 'comments' to the SLOR. Covered both ways.

Have them fill out the SLOR, but they can 'attach' a regular LOR as 'comments' to the SLOR. Covered both ways.

Thank you for that clarification. Glad to hear now as I have EM starting in a few weeks. :love:

I had a DO PD offer to write me a letter, but not want to do the SLOR. So I got a regular letter from him, and a SLOR from an MD at the same place, and no one had any problems with that solution. (I was doing my second EM rotation a bit late to get a letter from there; if I'd scheduled it earlier, that probably would've been a better option. That said, no one's had an issue with it).

SLORs are your friend.

With that USMLE score, you can certainly get into a Allopathic program, assuming all your other factors are on or above par.