So how many of you have done research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beatrix24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although the only kind of research I'm really interested in is clinical research, it's not really an available option for undergrads. I'm not particularly excited about doing other kinds of research, but I'm afraid that it will look awful on my application if I have no undergrad research. I've done a 500+ hours clinical extender program. It's pretty cool because I don't have to do filing or anything that boring. We get hands on contact with patients, plus we get to be in the room during a couple of surgeries. But is this enough to overshadow the fact that I have no research? How many of you are not going to do research or have been accepted into schools without previous research experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow 500 hrs is really impressive. in my opinion id rather just do a semester of research so its one less thing to worry about. it's an easy A and its not THAT much effort, just time.

Its been pretty clear on these forums that research is not at all necessary at many schools. Clinical experience weighs more imo.
However, as with most things, it does strengthen your app IF you have it.

There may be more pertinent research than you think available. I also didn't think there were any medical related research opportunities on my campus, but it ended up the lab I work in collaborates with a lot of research MDs, and I now do research that directly affects human disease (depressions, specifically). Its not necessarily clinical, but definetly medically pertinent.

Good luck

It may help to look at ALL the publications a particular lab publishes. Sometimes you'll notice collaborations with medically pertinent research, even if the lab itself is far from it.

Members don't see this ad :)
It generally depends what the schools you're applying to, but from what I've gathered clinical experience seems more important. As long as you have some type of medically-related activity that you can speak about and relate to why you want to go into medicine, you should be fine. Unless you're applying to an MD/PhD program, of course.

Best of luck!

I actually have been reading publications, but I was worried that they[the researchers] might view me as too incompetent or inadequate to offer me a position when they never really had one open:( . But it is all good advice. I think I'm gonna suck it up and ask. Thanks a lot for your input you guys. I really appreciate it.:)

ugrad research is a travesty, sham and mockery.

Research Associates Program has opportunities for undergrads to do clinical research at a hospital for credit. It's limited to certain schools, but it's out there.

Undergrad research is not a travesty. If you are at schools that give out a lot of money to students if they seek it then you have a lot of opportunities. It's a matter of finding the right professor to do work with and having an interest in independent research. A lot of big universities don't allow this to happen unless you have connections.

They don't call me the Western Blot Queen for no reason.... :)

Did 2 years research. Not sure how many hours it was. I know my first semester (summer '04) I had to take it for a grade and put in 12 hours a week. So it was 150 hours alone that one summer. I guess 800 hours total.

Although the only kind of research I'm really interested in is clinical research, it's not really an available option for undergrads. I'm not particularly excited about doing other kinds of research, but I'm afraid that it will look awful on my application if I have no undergrad research. I've done a 500+ hours clinical extender program. It's pretty cool because I don't have to do filing or anything that boring. We get hands on contact with patients, plus we get to be in the room during a couple of surgeries. But is this enough to overshadow the fact that I have no research? How many of you are not going to do research or have been accepted into schools without previous research experience?

doing research will open up doors at top 30 schools. and if you have mediocre gpa/mcat, will give you an edge. plus, those good LORs are important too... :thumbup:

Plus, research is fun :love:

Clinical research is not closed to undergrads....you just have to be willing to keep trying until you find someone that will take you onboard.

Can someone explain what clinical research is? I don't know anything :confused:

I bet you could get clinical research experience if you try. I basically found an MD doing research at my university's hospital and asked her if I could work for her. Doctors love free labor.

Clinical research is not closed to undergrads....you just have to be willing to keep trying until you find someone that will take you onboard.
I agree. If the first person you ask doesn't want to work with you, don't give up. Keep asking other docs until you find someone who will. It's definitely possible to do clinical research as an undergrad. Also, just to calm everyone's fears, most medical schools do not require research unless you want to apply to an MD/PhD program or a research based MD program like mine. Even top ten schools do not require research experience for their MD programs.

Go find the nearest medical school. See if they need help. You might have fun too, and you will more than likely get paid. :thumbup: